“Worst place I have ever eaten!!!!”
Review of El Ultimo Tango

El Ultimo Tango
Ranked #2,823 of 4,439 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Do not eat here! It was the worst meal I have ever attempted to eat! Ordered a steak, which took 30 mins to be served & it was full of fat. I'm not exaggerating when i say I would've needed a chainsaw to cut through the meat. The steak 'sauce' was tasteless. The potato was over done & the bread basket tasted 3 days old. I complained & was told the chef would be informed. Then a woman appeared with the bill & ran away from the table. Cannot say anything good about this restaurant!

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

It's a steak restaurant but it ran out of fillet so we ordered the sirloin and entrecôte. My wife couldn't eat the entrecôte it was full of grizzle. My steak was fine but was blue not medium. The bread at the start was so hard I nearly broke my teeth. Not good at all. Save your money for somewhere nice.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Aside from a raw fish and egg meal i consumed in Poland this was the worst food I have ever eaten! My first two choices on the menu ( pork dishes) were not available, not a great start.

So I opted for cod which usually I am sure you will agree is a relatively delicate tasting fish and not as over powereing as some other fish dishes. I also ordered a side salad with feta cheese, my partner the same.

Whilst waiting for the meal we were presented with a basket of bread, which was barely edible as it was so hard and meanwhile the waitress smokes a cigarette behind me (inside the premise actually behind the bar), which i am sure anyone would agree is very unprofessional.

Within minutes our plates were presented ( cod, mixed with scrambled eggs, couldnt really see any potatoe element to the dish, covered in coriander leaves and olives) , this was pretty dam quick to be considered even half fresh cooked food. I couldnt even make scrambled eggs on toast this quick! The taste was foul, the texture was foul, i could not even eat it after a few mouthfuls!

So onto the salad ( hoping it would be my empty stomachs saving grace) but it was caked in a ridiculous amount of oil, not particularly fresh, it had cracked salt all over it which even made the salad unpleasant to eat.

The bill arrived and x2 cod and scrambled egg dishes, solid bread, side salad, wine and beer came to almost €50 i would have got more satisfaction spending €50 on eating a happy meal in mc donalds and for a foody that is saying something!!

I believe that feedback should be constructive so here goes;-

~staff to have cigarette breaks out of sight from your customers
~if your chefs wish to watch tv whilst they are at work then put up a partition wall so that customers cannot see the chefs watching tv
~do not play music in a restaurant and have the echo of the tv competing with it
~serve fresh bread, ask customers if they would like it and DO tell them you charge for it because believe it or not a lot of places to give complimentary bread and even olives sometimes
~steak seems to get you great reviews so dont be afraid to remove dishes that DONT work to really profitise and do a great job at what is good!
~be clear on if you are an argentinian establishment or portugese , i was told that the fish dish was a typical portugese dish and a typical argentinian dish?? So which is it? Confusing?
~ do make your food and drink relevant to the standard and service which accompanies it
~remember ! And gordon ramsey would back me here! Less is more!! Mini alise the menu to the dishes which work!
~ being able to see what llok like two dinner ladies in an open kitchen looking pretty miserable does not help diners enjoy their dining experience

I really hope that the chefs of this establishment get back " enthusiasm " for food and "standards" because right now this establishment is just a means to an end with no passion or standard for food!

1  Thank BeansW
Reviewed June 27, 2014

From the few number of Argentinean restaurants that exist in Lisbon, this should be the best. At least, there's no other with a similar decoration, truly Argentinean. The food is good, but what impresses is the great number of Argentinean musicians in the walls and their bandeneons! Higlhy recommendable.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We're really surprised that this place has so few reviews as this place was packed out with locals and tourists when we were there. We managed to get a table on the street, in the heart of Bairro Alto,and loved the atmosphere, eating and people watching! We had garlic prawns and snails to start followed by a sirloin & fillet steak - both were tender & cooked to perfection and we enjoyed a lovely bottle of Argentinian Cabernet Sauvignon with it. We really enjoyed our meal & were happy with the service & price and would return when we are next back in Lisbon (this was our first visit but fell in love with the city and so will definately return!).