“It needs improving”

Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Lisbon, Portugal
“It needs improving”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The opening of this restaurant/pub was the talk of the town in Lisbon. Since I've been to the USA, I've been longing for the southern comfort food and so I was thrilled when I heard that Harlem was opening in my city. It promised southern USA food and a nice atmosphere, with jazz and blues as a backdrop for your meal. As for the food, no complaints, at least regarding quality. Everything we ordered was excellent and the service was good. But at dinner rush hour, they only serve one variety of the many sandwiches they have on the menu (so much for choice...) and the portions in general aren't that big. And if you order the red velvet cake for dessert, you're in for a surprise... They have their very own take on that cake and everyone who ordered it looked as surprised as we did, when it was brought to the table.
Finally, while the atmosphere is nice and cosy, we hardly listened to any jazz or blues. The whole we were there, they were playing soft rock from the 80's... hardly what you'd expect from a self proclaimed jazz bar.

Lisboa, Portugal
“food worth going”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

A look on american soul food. Great food: the huge fish sandwiche, the livers and the pumpkin cheesecake, are my favorites. The bar is not at the same level of the kitchen: the champagne was not ready, they didn't have some juices, or had partially... The music is very commercial for what the concept may induce. But the food is worth going. And it's very near the area to go out!

Porto, Portugal
“Great food, good environment, lousy service”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The food is different (south of USA style), very good (my fish was a little bit salty, but that's all), the place it's great, but I felt invisible, no one looked to see if something was needed, even when I was trying to call someone. The bill came mistaken, they need to practice!
But the food... it's awesome!