“A beautiful trip away from the City”
Review of Claro

Claro
Ranked #1,334 of 4,304 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Nice place, god food perfect service. We enjoyd everything. Worth the trip. Menu and Wine were delicious.

There are newer reviews for Claro

Reviewed January 23, 2014

After reading other reviews, is difficult to write something new! The location is perfect, great ocean view, i went there in a beautiful sunny day, so just imagine the scenery! I had the pleasure Chef Vítor Claro himself preparing a GREAT tasting menu starting Shrimp Raviolo ( wonderful taste!) and one of the main courses were Portuguese "Cozido" but with fish instead of meat (great, great, great!), the rest i leave it anonymous so who read this review go there to discover! Looking forward to return! Thanks a lot this marvelous experience Chef Claro!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

After numerous visits to the city, the broad area as well, over many years, I was never impressed by the culinary surprises Portugal had to offer (some noticeable exceptions in the Douro area, ok).

Tonight, I am inclined to change that opinion. Inclined... because I still don't understand how people can "blindly" rate a restaurant with 5 stars. Probably never been to the great ones?

Anyway, the rather refined and very skilfully made dishes I tried on my first evening here at "Claro!" may help me change my mind. Probably, as a first experience, 4 stars is a bit high, but that's for the benefit of the doubt, after having enjoyed lovely marinated mackerel with coriander and a close to perfection prepared cod.

Special mention for the service. Best professional, kind, and most of all, knowledgeable waiter service I ever had in Portugal. Well done!

Like I said, so far so good. Maybe "Claro!" will make me change my mind. And that... is definitely an achievement.

More to follow...

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

After a day of exploring the historic center of Lisbon, then to Parque dos Naçoes, all on my bike. I was asked to join some local friends for dinner. They knew how much I appreciated great food and wine and they all happen to have great food and wine credentials. I trusted them implicitly.
We were going Claro! in Paço de Arcos, about 10 minutes west of central Lisbon, right on the sea. They told me that this was a special place. Sure it was in a beautiful location on the sea, but their emphasis was on the spirited, young chef/owner Vitor Claro. Who had already achieved great success, prior to opening Claro! He's an innovative master of modern Portuguese & European gastronomy. While also quite adept at making a caldeirada or carne de porco à Alentajana like your avó (grandma) used to make.
The moment we walked in I had gotten the sense that this was going to be a night to remember. The privileged space was both beautiful, elegant, yet quite hip-worthy. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Particularly evident when the charming chef Claro came over and introduced himself. Imagine a younger, more energetic (and slimmer) version of Mario Batali with fire in his eyes. This is a man with a mission. His passion was quite evident, as he illuminated us as to what was in store for us for the evening. In the end, we left it all in his hands.
The extra added bonus was his knowledge of wines, particularly the wines Portugal. Chefs may know what they like, but most of the great chefs that I know leave the wine details to others. Thankfully Chef Claro was more than just dabbled in wine. Though a few of us were wine professionals of one sort or another, we agreed unanimously to leave the wine pairings to the chef.
Overlooking the sea from our lovely perch in restaurant Claro!, it was no surprise that many of our dishes featured amazingly fresh bounty from the sea. Everything that was served was fresh, beautiful farm to table with home made charcuteries, bacalhau, poultry, porco, meats and more.
Could we have had 12 courses?! It was truly an amazing gastronomic experience. Chef Claro knows his materia prima and how to use it to his (and our) best advantage, preparing traditional dishes as well as interpretations and twists on others, while remaining quintessentially Portuguese.
Needless to say the wine pairings were a hit. Whites and reds were poured throughout the meal with with the added Portuguese wine primer to boot. The porto with desert was de rigeur. Though if I recall correctly, we had more than one desert, which meant more ports.
The service could not had been better. The friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable staff, along with the chef's informative visits, imparting onto us what each successive course was to be and what wine it would be paired with. All enhancing our gastronomic experience immensely.
I came along to learn about Portuguese gastronomy. I came away quite satisfied. My alfacinha (Lisbon natives) pals were equally as pleased with our dining experience.
A truly unforgettable evening with great friends.
In the end we lingered a bit, then aguardiente (a grape based spirit ala grappa) was poured.

I can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

One of the great Lisbon restaurants. Went there for a tasting menu, which was awesome. Firstly Chef Vítor Claro receives you at the restaurant's entrance, which is very nice. Then, the service is impecable with the chef going around the tables asking if everything is ok, during the dinner. Food is very rich in flavours, which are well balanced. A treat. When leaving the restaurant the Chef was kind enough to exchange a few words with us. Recommend it!