“Weeknight fado fun”
Review of Alfama Grill

Alfama Grill
Reserve with
Alfama Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,353 of 4,112 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Massachusetts
“Weeknight fado fun”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were there on a weeknight and enjoyed the 3 fado singers along with a few other tourists. The English-speaking staff were welcoming and helpful in recommending several dishes. I had the cod fritters which were delicious! 2 fado singers--one male, 1 female, and 2 instrumentalists were engaging and personable. A highlight for me was the appearance by a young girl who appeared to be about 12 years old. She had a great voice and I expect that if she keeps it up, she's someone who will go on to bigger things. For me, seeing a young girl being nurtured by the other musicians was a highlight of the evening. I'm glad we chose Alfama Grill and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Visited December 2012

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wales
“An excellent evening of fado with reasonable food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant/tasca was just paces from our apartment and we wanted to experience fado with our children whilst in Lisbon, so we booked a table here on the off chance. We had a really very lovely entertaining evening here. The staff and the musicians were extremely friendly (although we noticed the patron was not especially happy when people talked too much over the music!). We understand no Portuguese but the whole restaurant was swept along with the atmosphere and we felt we understood some of the emotional content of the music! It was humorous at times and deeply moving at others and altogether an experience not to be missed if you are in the Alfama area. The fado singers were very attentive and came round to the tables to chat and pose for photos for those who wanted.

The food was relatively good, although my husband struggled as a vegetarian (as he did everywhere where a traditional Portuguese menu was served). To their credit they offered to cook him an omelette but this would have been his third in a row and he ended up with bread, cheese and some salad. Myself and three sons dined pretty well on steak in a red wine and mushroom sauce (2 boys), smoked venison (1 boy), and angler fish risotto for me. The wine, a carafe of "green" sparkly stuff was quite quaffable and the bill for the five of us, including drinks and desserts came to 119 euros - not cheap for Lisbon, but great value for a fado joint apparently!

Service was necessarily very slow as they were serving quite a few people in a tight space and trying to avoid repeatedly walking in front of the singers. This would not be a good place to stop if you just wanted to eat quickly and get on your way - it's a full evening out and your bill does include the entertainment.

Looking at the other reviews on Tripadvisor, I'd say we probably stumbled upon one of the best fado restaurants in Alfama and next time we're in Lisbon, we'd come back here.

• Visited November 2012
Colleyville, Texas
“Duck and Risotto”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The restaurant ambiance was so inviting with the brick walls, the candles and the wine cellar. But, I am hear to say that the duck risotto was the very best. I couldn't believe how well the duck was cooked with a sweet non gamey taste and the sauce put on top gave each bite a spicy ending. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! I don't like to cook risotto cause it takes toooo long so I always order it if it is on the menu so I guess I'm somewhat a risotto tester. Loved it

• Visited October 2012