“Soul food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Adega do Teixeira - CLOSED

Adega do Teixeira
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Description: Ha una pagina su facebook
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Soul food”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I can only add my wholehearted agreement with all of the positive reviews! The experience was sublime, matched by the food which was so divinely fresh and superbly cooked...and yes, you really need to have the coffee. The coffee making ritual brought joy to my heart and it did not disappoint upon drinking it. Do not be put off by the fact that there may be very few tables occupied as was the case when we went - it may not be fashionable but it is the real thing.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Debbie L

London, United Kingdom
“Traditional Portuguese at its best”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

What an amazing night we had in this Bairro Alto restaurant. The place itself was original with the wooden struts you can just see behind the coffee machine in the photo next to the title name.
The staff were there to serve so those who ordered steak got it the way they asked for it and fish was shown to you to pick and then de-boned beside the table.
The wine flowed and the desert, pineapple with port, was delicious.
This isn't a flashy place or brightly lit outside with the menu showing, but a slice of what Portuguese restaurants used to be. Please visit, especially in summer as they have a fabulous terrace that we rushed by, to get out of the rain!

• Visited January 2013
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“authentic”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a real secret in Lisboa, and an experience you never forget. At the end of a small street in Bairra there is this fish and meat restaurant.
Food and wine is delicious and there is the "magic" coffee ceremony..
Very affordable, worth a visit very time you are in lisbon. The owner does not speak english and there is no menu card; no problem, simply listen his suggestions.

• Visited October 2012
“Amazing steak & coffee”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant offers a pleasant atmosphere, nice music and most importantly great food. The steak and the grilled fish were absolutely delicious, the homemade chips (sidedish) was surprisingly tasteful and coffee for desert is a must. The service is very friendly and homely! Definitely worth visiting!

King's Cliffe, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food with fantastic hosts! Lisbon's Best!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a fantastic find! Tucked away at the top end of Barrio Alto you’ll find Adega Do Teixeira and I can only echo the recent good reviews and say that it is definitely worth a visit. Good authentic food in authentic surroundings.

A word of advice, when you approach the restaurant entrance DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE FACT THAT THE MENU IS ONLY IN PORTUGUESE! If you do, you’ll be missing out on some great food provided by some truly charming hosts.

The two guys who run the place speak a charming broken English and show a true pride in what they do. They were more than welcoming of our 18 month old daughter and whilst there were no high chairs (something we found all the restaurants we visited in Lisbon), they did their very best and made up an impromptu high chair with the aid of a few cushions.

Whilst looking over the menu, they filled our table with a vast array of starters including melon, Serrano ham, olives and some sublime soft cheese with warm toasted bread. They then came out with two trays of fish and a tray of meat, described what it all was and asked us what we would like and how we would like it cooked.

This may be an old school restaurant but this was like a breath of fresh air for us, my wife had grouper and I went for the dinner plate sized veal steak. The fish and steak came to the table just as we’d ordered, my veal a perfect medium rare, with an accompaniment of potatoes and green beans. My wife (and daughter) really enjoyed the grouper. My daughter liked it so much that she ate about half of it, which for a fussy 18 month old to do is worth a culinary badge for the restaurant in itself! For dessert my wife had the crème Catalan and I had the chocolate mousse, both as equally enjoyable as any we’d had in other restaurants. My wife had a coffee with dessert and the theatre of the brewing and presentation was a sight to behold, it reminded me of chemistry lessons all those years ago!!

When it came time for the bill, I was shocked! It only came to 53 euros, which, when you consider that I had a full bottle of wine during the meal as well, made it an absolute bargain!
I cannot recommend this place highly enough; the food was fantastic, the guys (and girls in the kitchen) were charming, provided a brilliant service and kept our daughter entertained and had her laughing and enjoying herself throughout the meal.

Our only regret was that we went here on the last night of our stay; otherwise, we’d have been repeat customers. The other restaurants we’d eaten at were good, but they reminded me of run of the mill restaurants that you could walk into in any city/town in any country. Adega Do Teixeira set itself apart by being different, warm and friendly with good food cooked from the heart. If I could give these guys advice, it would be to get a website to promote themselves more and to get an English worded menu out front so that people aren’t scared off (as we were the night previously!)

So, to sum up...If you’re looking for somewhere good to eat in Lisbon; head to Barrio Alto, bypass all the other restaurants and go feast at Adega Do Teixeira, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012