“Five Days and Five Fabulous Tours!”
Review of Around Lisbon

Templar River: Tomar and Almourol Private Tour
Ranked #93 of 594 Tours in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Around Lisbon is not your typical Tour Company, as you may have known them. In fact, we don’t like to think of Around Lisbon as a business. It is rather the special life project of two friends, who wanted to develop a friendly local company to cater to like-minded people from all over the world. Our goal is to be your "local friends" who help you enjoy Lisbon and Portugal to the fullest. That makes our day too.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Without a doubt finding www.aroundlisbon.pt was the best thing about our trip to Portugal.

We added several days to a conference to explore Lisbon & the surrounding countryside and went looking for the best way to utilise this extra time.

We could not have done better than Around Lisbon Day Tours.

With Rui as our guide we had 5 relaxed fun filled days and were able to fit in more in our limited time than we could ever have dreamed possible.

Not having the hassle of hiring a car and navigating to the fabulous sites in this extraordinary country, meant we were able to relax, have a drink at lunch knowing the driving was in the capable hands of the very friendly Rui.

The benefit of a guide with local knowledge is fundamental to tourist travel - what makes Around Lisbon Day Tours a standout is the extensive research they have put into the tours they offer combined with their local knowledge; their willingness to personalise the tours and an understandable pride in their wonderful country.

Gil & Rui went out of their way to make sure our entire time in Lisbon was perfect. We did three of the advertised and two customised Around Lisbon Day Tours - spending a day in Lisbon itself with Rui was a standout!

Rui thank you for showing us your country and sharing your wonderful culture.

Muito Obrigada our friend!!!

2  Thank MareeS584
in 8 reviews
"great city"
"highlight of our trip"

Reviewed October 31, 2012

After reading all these positive reviews on Tripadvisor, I contacted these guys regarding their Berlengas Islands tour. After less than an hour I received a response from Tiago saying this tour is not available - he had even double checked with the boat operator to confirm that the weather conditions don't allow the tour around this time! Tiago suggested the Sintra Tour instead and both me and my partner were glad we went for it. The whole day was so enjoyable, Tiago and Nuno (the "trainee" but you wouldn't notice, he's just as great ;-)) were complementing each other perfectly with the different knowledge they had. Our wishes to stop at certain destinations or leave out places were all accommodated, and it never felt like a typical coach tour. Tiago and Nuno were happy to have a conversation with us, but gave me and my partner "free time" when they felt we wanted to chat amongst ourselves. They also happily complied with my numerous requests to take pictures of the two of us ;-) This tour was the best one I've ever had and I will definitely be back! Thanks guys for the great day out :-)

1  Thank Melanie L
Reviewed October 1, 2012

For some reason still unknown to us, our cruise scheduled its Lisbon stop from 8:00 AM till only 3:00 PM, leaving very little time to do much exploration of this fascinating city.

I researched private tours on Trip Advisor before we left home and found a review of Around Lisbon ( www.aroundlisbon,pt) describing a tour that seemed to fit our needs in that it was extensive but could be fit into the time we had.
My inquiry received a rapid and cordial response from Gil (Jeel) Costa Lopez, who assured me that he would do everything he could to make our brief stay memorable.

He wasn't kidding and he and his partner Tiago, delivered.

We were met at the pier by these two young and personable men who took us to their small SUV (most comfortable for one couple, but could squeeze in one more, if necessary) and off we went.

They drove us through a series of very tight streets, at one point, following a tram line that coursed through impossibly narrow streets that almost made it feel like a roller coaster ride. Knowing we wanted an overview of the city, we stopped at several vantage points that showed us Lisbon's highlights from a number of angles. Suffice it to say, we got an interesting dose of history that was never tedious.

I had told Gil that we wanted to go to Sintra, about 30 minutes from the city. Gil and Tiago knew all of the shortcuts and had remarkable parking kharma, always finding spots near what we came to see.

In Sintra, they took us to a pastry shop to sample a local delight and a coffee and then on to Pena Castle. Tiago joined the queue for tickets and from there, we took the tram to the Castle. It is definitely worth the time.

Back to the city and more stops and explanations and then to the Belem area where we tasted another local pastry specialty.

By the way, they picked up the tab for each of these treats and refused my offer to pay them.

We made it back to the ship at the time we had specified and were really sorry to say good bye to these two delightful and charming hosts.

We paid 200 Euros for our time with them and gave them a little extra because we were so pleased.

If you want an up close and personal tour of Lisbon, these are the "go to" guys.

1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am Portuguese, but have been living in London for the last 15 years, so when my mates came on holidays to Portugal with me this year, I wanted to do something special with them. I had never been to the Berlengas Island, but had heard the best things about it. The guys at Around Lisbon Tours have this great enthusiasm about where they were taking us, and it just rubbed off on us. We were all extremely shattered having had only a few hours sleep the previous nights.. but yet Gil & Tiago kept us going, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were all blown away by the beauty of the Berlengas Islands, especially when we went Canoeing around the island, words can't really express it, so I recommend it you try it out yourselves. I can't wait to go back to Portugal and try out some of the other tours.

1  Thank SRocha1