“Nice and central”

Downtown Design Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #371 of 514 Specialty Lodging in Lisbon
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The rooms are nice and clean and has what you can expect a central hostel to have. Comfortable common room, inspiration to seightseeing og breakfast opportunities. The hostel was impossible for us to find as it doesnt have any signs outside or a buzzer that worked. they told us that should be taken care of soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2013

It pains me a bit to give this place such a low rating as it's just started up and the young owners and staff seem to be trying hard to make it work. But there are a couple of things that need improving upon before earning a higher grade. But first let me start of by mentioning the good aspects of this place. It is extremely central and all rooms have a very nice view. The breakfast is very good and the lounge area where you have breakfast is great as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful especially the one girl working there whose name escapes me.

Now for the things that need improving. The entrance door to the building carries no sign whatsoever of the hostel being located there. You are simply faced with a big black door and an intercom with random numbered buttons on it. I was dumbfounded when I had located the address and thought I had written down the wrong street number. There is a strip club right next to the door and suddenly a man walked up to me and offered to unlock the door for me. I didn't see him again and assumed he was a resident in one of the apartments in the building. So for starters it could be a bit tricky getting in to the building itself. Once inside the entrance you are greeted by dark and steep stairs that frankly smell horribly. I suspect that the bathrooms of the strip club in the house next to it is somehow connected to this stairwell, but once you've walked passed the second floor the smell disappears and you're greeted by a very modern a nice looking lobby in the apartment to your right. So mind you, if you have trouble walking in steep stairs, this is not the place for you.

My room was on the floor above the lobby and was big. But since it was so far from the lobby the wifi didn't work there, I told the staff at numerous instances about this problem but I understood early on that nothing would be done about it despite promises of enhancing the signal from the router. My room got quite cold even in the middle of the day and I didnt see any heaters in the room, but it was nicely decorated even if it only had a queen sized bed, a lamp and a chair. The light switch for the lamp in the ceiling worked about 50% of the time for some reason. The shared bathroom was clean but since only one other couple was staying at my floor I can imagine this bathroom getting a bit messy and crowded if the hostel is ever at full capacity. In the lobby/breakfast room there was an area only parted off by "saloon doors" behind which were the bathroom stalls and showers for the guests staying the bunk bed rooms, these didn't seem very private at all and some of the toilet had out of order signs. So if you don't want to walk through the lobby wrapped in a towel whilst people are eating breakfast around you I suggest you get one of the private rooms instead.

My door to my private room was a bit tricky to lock, so make sure it's actually locked when you leave it. Also, it had a window above it, so if anyone turned on the light in the hallway my entire room would light up, bright as day, this happened on occasion in the middle of the night.

So in short:
Positive: Location, view, breakfast, new furniture, fast wifi in lobby, printer at hand, friendly staff.

Negative: Cold in autumn and winter, Impossible entrance door, steep, dark and smelly stairs, wifi didn't work in rooms one floor up, bathrooms not all that private for the majority of guests, slightly over priced for what you get. Rooms were not cleaned once during my 4 night stay.

Would I stay there again?
If the entrance door had a clear sign and intercom button, the wifi worked in all rooms, glass windows above doors leading to hallway were painted over and some form of heating was installed in the private rooms, then I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelingNormands
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Downtown Design Hostel it´s a great,cosy place to be in. Rui is a welcoming manager and know´s well how to inform costumers about most of the things worth seeing in Lisbon. The place it´s really clean, has a great vibe and really nice, confortable and original apartments.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

During the first days of December, me and my girl stayed for three nights, in this B&D/Hostel. Well, what an incredible view, during the night! The central avenue chrismas lights are so awesome! Even better when we have an excellent company! :P

About the service, i loved taking my breakfast (you got to see the whole "food inventory", by yourself :) ) near the front window. At first, we thought that it wasn't allowed but Rui even insisted to try it out!

Kitchen and toilets were clean, as far as i could see but the kitchen needs some repairs. Nothing huge, just to put an extra touch in the place. :P But, after my chat with Rui, he assured me that there will be some work in that department! Well, for the time that they exist, these guys are really putting some effort in here!

It was fun too playing some rounds, with one of the hosts and Rui friends, in Playstation 3. Cool thing to do, after some 3 hours of city exploration.

Thanks and, next year, i hope we get back to you, guys! Cheers! :)

P.S.: Send me some of that delicious cake, please :D

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bruno_Dias_1
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a really nice hostel and it couldn't be more central - right next to a big main square and Rossio metro station. The staff are generally friendly and helpful and there is a nice, relaxed atmosphere.

We had a private double room with shared bathroom (42 euros a night). I thought that was good value as the room was large with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was very big too. Considering that it's so central and that breakfast is included, I think it's a pretty good price. The only comment I have about the room is that there was nowhere to put clothes - no wardrobe, drawers or shelves - but not such a big deal if you're only there a few days.

The breakfast is very good with delicious fresh bread, ham and cheese, fruit, cake, cereal, yogurts and tea and coffee. On the day we arrived, we got there about 11.30 and they let us have whatever was leftover from the breakfast that morning. On the day we left, we had to go early before breakfast had started, but they got up early to prepare it for us before we left.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is centrally located on the two upper floors of the building at number 3 in the flats converted into a hostel. Stored in a stylish interior design. We lived in a double room with a balcony facing the street Sapateiro. It was nice and clean, however, because of its location on the central square of Lisbon too loud at night to relax after a hard day. I would advise people looking of silence to book room from the other side of the building. With the hospitality of the owners mother we could try popular dishes in Portugal prepared from salted, dried fish. It was delicious ... The weak point of this place is the kitchen. I think the owners should equip it with decent furniture. Currently the kitchen is temporary.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple