Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

Excellent Intro to Lisbon

ZachGL
Los Angeles, California

3,348 results
All reviews free walking local perspective three hours guide miguel his passion great guide beautiful city meeting point interesting stories portuguese history his knowledge bairro alto rafa neighborhoods insight trainee poetry
Reviewed today via mobile

Coudnt have picked a better first activity in Lisbon. Saw the hidden highlights; places you wont see without a local. Guide Ana was very knowledgeable and gave us restaurant/food tips afterwards. I highly recommend taking this tour, rather earlier on then later in your stay in Lisbon.

Reviewed today

We decided to join the free tour on our first morning in Lisbon and it turned out to be an excellent move. Our guide Nuno was well-informed on just about every aspect a curious tourist might want to explore, whether it was history, food recommendations, or, in our case, some insight regarding the next leg of our trip to Northern Portugal. The tour itself lasted approximately three hours and Nuno stayed after to answer additional questions. Highly recommended.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

This was a great way to see the city and learn about some of its history. Our Guide Shiouzho (sorry for the spelling!) Was very knowledgeable and helpful. If you wanted to know what to do, where to eat, or even where to watch the football he was there to assist.

The tour was a full 3 hours; bring water, good shoes (as Lisbon add many hills and steps) and a coat/umbrella, use the bathroom before starting.

My highlight was buying a home made liquor from a dear old local that has sold her Cherry drink for decades.

Would highly recommend.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

It was just an amazing experience! 3h of a local guide by a half Japanese half Portuguese 'sushi' guy (sorry, I forgot his exact name) who has showed us Lisbon from another perspective. He told us the history of Lisbon in an interactive way, involving us. We could also entrance in the locals everydays by walking in the little, let's say hidden, or less known parts of Alfama. He also saved us from the tourist traps suggesting which places should we avoid, and proposing us the traditional, cheap places. I'm recommending him and this program, which is by the way free (you can give at the end the tip which you think he deserves).

1  Thank Daniele170992
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Super free walking tour in Lisbon ! We had Nuno and Antonio as guides . They were fun and told us a lot of interesting things ! I recommend !

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We went on a free walking tour with José on the first morning we were in Lisbon. We really enjoyed the tour. He took us all over the city on a what ended up being a 4-Hour tour. We really enjoyed that we would stop in busy spots and José would always help make sure we were good tourists and not block other people from going about their everyday lives.We gave a tip at the end of the tour but in retrospect would have paid a fee from the very start as we learned so much both about the history of food the people and the local perspective of Lisbon.
We highly recommend this tour if you are in Lisbon!!

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

It was the first free tour that i had and i totally enjoyed it. Anna and Antonio the took us to very nice places of the city and told us interesting stories about those. i didn't get bored even for a minute. i liked that the didn't get us to the popular turistic places but to more special places. They talked about history, culture, music and habits that people in portugal have. I totally recomende it, enjoy!

Reviewed 2 days ago

My wife and I travelled to Lisbon recently (November 2018) and decided to take a "free" Chill-Out walking tour. Note that these tours are not really "free," but more on that later. Note, also, that advance registration is required. The process is straightforward and can be easily accomplished on line via the Chill-Out website. The Company was very responsive and very helpful in response to a couple of questions that I addressed to them via e-mail. That is always a very good sign that you are working with a quality outfit.

We met our guide, Nuno, at the Praca Luis de Camoes at the appointed hour and off we went on an amazing, three and one half hour, whirlwind adventure through all of the major regions of historical Lisbon.

Nuno speaks better English than I do and his knowledge of Lisbon and Portugal is encyclopedic -- and he is determined to share every bit of it with his charges. The tour does not enter any attractions, but visits many of them from the outside. I recommend that you do this tour early in your visit because it will give you a very good sense of the basic layout of the city and where the major attractions are located in relation to one another.

This tour involves a great deal of walking and you will be a little tired at the end -- but believe me, it is worth the effort. My wife and I have been traveling in Europe for the past 10 years: Nuno was one of the very best guides we have ever had and this is one of the very best tours we have ever taken.

Now, as to the "free" business: The Chill-Out Free Tour is free only in the sense that they have no published minimum fee; instead, each participant in the tour is expected to pay the guide what he thinks the tour was worth. The company's theory is that the guides have to work harder that way when their compensation is not in any way guaranteed. I paid Nuno 30 Euro to cover the fee for my wife and me. I suspect that some people in our group paid more and I know that many paid less. I am providing this information because it will give you a frame of reference. In any event, this is not a one or two Euro affair because you are not paying just a tip to the guide -- you are paying for the tour itself and the question to ask is "How much would a comparable fee-based walking tour cost?" Just remember: If you are light on your payment, it is your guide who eats the hotdog.

We have never before taken a "free" walking tour in Europe, but they are growing in popularity and I am certain that we will take them often on our future travels.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Really nice tour. The guide José kept the crowd interested and alert the entire time. You get to know other places of Lisbon and not just the tourist attractions. One of the best tours I’ve ever done.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Flew into Lisboa at 11:30am, checked in to the hotel around the corner from Praca de le Camoes by 12:30 had a bite to eat at a neighborhood taberna then met up for the 3pm English walking tour led by Chiuzo. Highly recommend this tour, especially for 1st timers to Lisboa and early in the trip. Chiuzo was a very enthusiastic, excellent historian who expertly guided our group-split into 2 groups for a smaller and more intimate tour. Our walk was about 3 1/2 hours of fun-even my 80 year old parents enjoyed the tour and had no problem with the hills of Lisboa. Many local tips were shared with us. We loved going back to some of the spots throughout our stay-even finding the Ginginja lady again in Alfama. Well spent 3 1/2 hours. Note that you do not end up at the starting point, but on the top of Alfama-no problem to grab a Tuc tuc, uber or just walk about 20 minutes back.