“Getting the very best out of Lisbon - do this tour!”

Lisbon Chill-Out Free Tour
Ranked #2 of 515 Tours in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are just a group of local friends who love to show you around and,tell you about the local funny stories,legends and myths,show the genuine culture.We also talk about our history and culture,but keep your mind open to listen the nonofficial stories, and we don't take you to the main touristic attractions.To keep it genuine and pure,we work on a tips-only bases,earning no commissions or any other support,working solely for what our travelers think we are worth. Please check all the info. and details on our page. We don't accept groups LOOK OUT!! VERY IMPORTANT!! We are independent and not a big company, and we try to transmit the real Portuguese feeling and culture for this reason we can’t use a big red umbrella. 14/03/2016 another company, without any kind of moral/ethical values decided to start their tours on our meeting point and at the same time as we do, they aim to take you from our tour to theirs Make sure you find the right authentic local guide using a Silverbag with a yello tram sign, and join us on the best free walking tour The Lisbon Chill Out Original Free Tour
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed June 15, 2013

In Lisbon for just a short stay, but taking the tour with Rafael this morning has been hands down the best part of my trip! Rafael is very knowledgeable - not only about Lisbon's sights and history, but also about Portuguese art, literature, music, food, drink, lifestyle etc - I discovered a lot about the city, but also came away with two new authors to discover, a fresh understanding of the best way to eat a sardine (!) and much more besides .....in short, Rafa did a great job of presenting Lisbon's main sites, but also excelled in giving some of the wider context and really helping me get the best out of my short stay here.

The tour itself was very pleasantly informal - more like a walkabout with friends than a guided tour; there was flexibility to change the pace, take a detour, stop for a 'refreshing' cherry liqueur, and chat about anything and everything related to Lisbon and Portugal. This made for a much more interesting, interactive morning than other tours I have been on and, although Rafa imparted a huge amount of knowledge as we went round, it never felt like a lecture. I'm really impressed by how much information Rafa managed to get across in the three hours without it ever feeling like 'overload'!

Overall - a really informative and entertaining morning, and the highlight of my trip. Many, many thanks to Rafael; I will be back! I would recommend this walk as a great way to start any stay in Lisbon; even if 'guided tours' aren't normally your thing.

There are newer reviews for Lisbon Chill-Out Free Tour

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a really fun time with Rafa and Jose, it was interesting and it had a lot of information you don't find on books or guides. It has such great views, totally worth it! ;)

1  Thank Gabriel V
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I was reading all the bad reviews but having experienced the tour myself, what I have to say is that since this is a walking tour, expect a lot of walking, exploration of areas outside the standard tourist stuff and an alternative view to history. If you are the type of tourist who prefers to sit in a bus or tram and cruise around the city just to snap pictures of major sights to let people know you have been to so and so monuments, then this may not be a tour for you.

All in all, our guide Rafa was excellent and constantly sought feedback from us throughout the tour. his explanations about history were clear and interesting. Keeping an open mind and reserving judgement about the Portuguese and their lifestyle really helped me appreciate the people and atmosphere of the place. Also, do wear comfy shoes, bring a bottle or two of water and a shady hat or shades as the weather could be hot and Lisbon is a hilly city(like San Francisco) so walking up and down slopes are common and good cardio exercise.

Thumbs and toes up for this awesome alternative experience!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

guys were amazing! my last stay in lisbon i didnt enjoy that much until i took this tour... they are taking you to nicest, but not so touristic places in the city. you can learn many things about life in lisbon and discover portuguese spirit. it was rafa's first tour and he was amazing! and with the great sense of humor! i highly recommend this tour!!!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our tour guide Rafa was so friendly and made for a really wonderful experience for all of us. I learned so much about the history of Portugal that gave a great sense of the city and the culture in Lisbon, even after having studied here for months. I particularly enjoyed getting a more personal take on Alfama and some of the less walked streets of Baixa. Very very cool!