“Fantastic gins, great atmosphere , super staff, food ok ”
Review of Taberna Moderna

Taberna Moderna
Ranked #95 of 4,349 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
Description: A modern place with delicious true portuguese and spanish food, with a very exclusive and cousy bar with the best gin offer in Portugal. Close to Fundação Saramago (Casa dos Bicos) in most beautiful area of the city. Closed on Sunday and Monday.
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on 30th April - had a couple of awesome Gin and tonics to start with and the waiter was super helpful and well informed, when he didn't know he asked a colleague and the citrus gin and floral gin were lovely. The food was ok I think the idea is to share plates and this makes sense as each main we had was a bit too much of the same thing for one person. Great atmosphere though in this buzzy on trend bar - worth a visit as it has good vibe- must book I think we did and it was full all evening

1  Thank stephen D

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

One night in Lisbon two unhip tourists were looking for a pleasant drink. The outdoor tables across from a park looked good. Once Nuno (pronounced NooNoo), a charming, friendly, knowledgeable bartender appeared we went from "just a drink" to a great evening sampling gins (the house specialty) and chatting up the differences between them.

I can't vouch for the food but if every bar in Lisbon had a Nuno I would never have made it back to New York.

1  Thank jdr1210
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We came with 7 people for an after dinner drink (not to eat) - as we read about the gin bar in a magazine. We were definitely not disappointed. Forget about the bar menu - speak to the bartenders. The two guys running the bar are truly knowledgeable and passionate about gin and their job. Excellent G&Ts and a great pleasure to watch the guys creating each glass after giving recommendations to each of us which gin might suite and why. Definitely a Mecca for gin lovers! There should be more places like this in Europe!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

After all the fuss I decided to give Taberna Moderna – as in Modern Tavern – a try. Cute restaurant with a nice terrace (which unfortunately I didn’t have the chance to enjoy). The concept is “food to share” (well, to share…, if you go with a squad), the size of the dishes are a bit far from the tapas they want to replicate. That being said, after sharing a tapa of uni scrambled eggs and some fideua I closed my case. Were they any good? Yes, nothing to innovative or very out of the box, but good. Was it worth the cost? Well, all I can say is that for that price you have a lot of options. Will I be coming back? Maybe for a Gin sorbet on a hot summer night, but until then I’ll keep on the search for the perfect spot!

2  Thank cantcooksowhat
tabernamoderna, Gerente at Taberna Moderna, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you very much for your critic and for give to us the opportunity to try. In relation to the "innovative" this is not a "rare food experiences" it is a restaurant where the dishes are made of a simple cuisine and a first quality product. If you don't think is innovative the Fideuá and the scrambled eggs with codfish and chistorra or Gulas and shrimps, please tell me one place in Lisbon with this products or with best quality and less price. Only one is enough. I would like to know only a restaurant in Lisbon where you eat better, with first quality product, for less money. Tell me only one, to see if is new, old or if maybe I forgot something in my management.
For the rest , we work everyday to give the best, and our clients know perfectly which is the quality of our products. So, maybe there are people that don't need too much quality to lunch or have dinner and prefer to pay less. That is not our concept. Two years open. Two years full. And two years of satisfaction.
If you comeback to Taberna Moderna I would like to show you the costs of our dishes and the quality of our products. Maybe you can do the same with other restaurants and compare what I'm talking about. Probably you will discover things you didn't know before.

Best Regards!

Luis Carballo.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Was recommended by a local & reading reviews below on here just before we went out scared me a little!

OMG you have to go! Must book as they turned many people away as were full. Open only in the evening (in march at least) this place was so accommodating, friendly & just wonderful wonderful food!
I'm not overly a Gin drinker but went with friends who are. We all had the best time & would strongly recommend people go!

1  Thank Emma S