“One of the greatest meals I've ever had”
Review of Cervejaria Ramiro

Cervejaria Ramiro
Ranked #261 of 4,778 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2017

I am living in Portugal at the moment and I have enjoyed many delicious meals so far, but Ramiro was the place I was most looking forward to coming to.

I am a big Anthony Bourdain fan- and a Mark Wiens fan too- and both seemed to love it. Plus as I live just up the hill it seemed criminal not to go!

I had two advantages before going. First, I know what the prices are like locally and therefore what is good value on the menu. Everything I chose was brilliant value but I didn't have the most expensive things. Second, I went at a time I thought there would likely to be a table for me (very early evening) and in any case I wasn't pressed for time even if I did have to queue.

I was shown to a table immediately. They seated a very pleasant Turkish couple next to me who told me at the end of the meal that they were thinking of coming back the following evening as well. We were handed 'ipad' type devices for the menu from which you could choose a variety of languages (including Turkish). One thing to note about the menu is that most of the things are priced in kg. If you want something just talk to your waiter about what is the right amount you should order. I felt absolutely no pressure from the waiter to order anything in particular. In fact at one point I asked him if I should have one or two or a menu item priced by weight and he said one (which was the correct answer, it was massive!)

I ordered a beer- I was very pleased to see they had Sagres rather than Super Bock. Lots of people here seem to prefer the latter but I find the former vastly superior.

Next I got some garlic shrimp, some garlic clams and some bread and butter. The garlic shrimp was sensational. Portuguese garlic is delicious- I find it packs a punch but is never harsh. There was a bit of chili in there too. The shrimp were probably the fattest I've ever had. The bread, which was a little like an English muffin was perfect for mopping up the garlic sauce. In fact there was so much garlic that I even created my own 'garlic bread'- sensational! The clams were much more delicate in flavour but still tasty and sweet.

Next I had the biggest prawn I've ever eaten. The flesh had the most amazing firm texture- the closest thing I can compare it to is probably lobster. For me there are few finer things in life than fresh food like this, served simply and with love.

At some time around this point the Turkish people commented that I seemed very hungry! I think I was just excited.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was great. Even though it wasn't full there was a real buzz about the place. All the staff were working hard while still taking time to joke with customers or with each other. My waiter in particular seemed like a local celebrity. Towards the end of the meal there was a large group which I realized were a film crew. They insisted he needed to be their waiter and miked him up before I left. He was such a lovely guy- just the right amount of attentive, funny and making sure each person felt special. The Turkish couple made sure they shook his hand at the end of the meal and so did I.

I finished my meal with another beer and a prego- which is considered dessert here. It is a steak sandwich with garlic. I've enjoyed it in other places but this is the best I've ever had- it was pretty rare (very much to my taste) and I liked it so much I had a second one!

I could very easily see why this place was to Anthony Bourdain's taste too. Informal and yet special, unfussy food, people who cared about you having a good time...

I know some people will think of this as a touristy place- but to me it isn't. It represents the best of Portugal- the country's generosity, open nature and delicious cuisine.

Oh, and I know this is incredibly geeky but when I got home I watched the video of Bourdain's visit again and found to my shock that the seat I had been placed at in a large restaurant was actually 'next' to him! Probably the closest to dining with him I'm going to get!

You owe it to yourself to go.

3  Thank AlexSwallow
Write a ReviewReviews (8,129)

Reviewed March 23, 2017 via mobile

We made a reservation before arriving in Lisbon so didn't have to join the huge queue outside (I world urge you to do the same). There's nothing I can write about the seafood that hasn't already been said - it's simply stunning and, if you're a lover of all things seafood, this restaurant should definitely be on your 'must visit' list whilst in the city. They've got langostine as big as lobsters!

Reviewed March 22, 2017 via mobile

Celebrated my birthday with my wife. As we have understood the place could be crowded and required queuing if you come in the evening, we went there already 16 on a Tue. Got a table directly and when we left at 18 there were still only a half-full restaurant. A noicy busy place. There is full lighting on and very simple tables with paper on. Which is needed because the table become quiete messy when you work on the food with hammer and other things. Attentive and helpful staff with a laid-back and friendly attitude. The menues are on an iPad. We selected schrimps (gambas) for starter, then a 1.6 kg crab (sapateira) and a 1.2 kg lobster (lavagante). The crab costed 35e and the lobster 71e. The waiter came and show us the living lobster to be sure we got the right size. With this we only had toasted bread. We are not experts on seafood but it was delicious, nicely served and so much to eat! To this we had a sparkling wine and some coffee afterwards. Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 20, 2017 via mobile

The seafood preparation here is second to none. Delicious! The good: seafood is cooked perfectly no matter what you order. The bad: pricey. Or should I say clearly this is an expensive place. You could easily drop over a hundred bucks here easily. The solution is to skip some common small items. Service can be really slow and so can getting your bill. The place is always packed so be prepared for a wait. They automatically give you beer but at a cost of about $1.20 per glass so if you don't want it make sure you tell them. The beer was good though.

Reviewed March 20, 2017

Went twice during a short break in Lisbon recently. I was quite fearful about the queuing, having heard about large numbers of people trailing round the block. However, the first time we went there around 2pm on a Sunday we waited about half an hour, while the proprietor and waiters checked out numbers in each party and tried to speed up the flow. They have an awning outside, where you can wait if it rains, and an automated beer machine to slake your thirst! On the second occasion we arrived at 6.30 on a weekday evening, with other family, and waited just ten minutes. I think you need to pick your time, avoiding mid-evening if possible.
Now to the food! Clams were absolutely wonderful, and garlic prawns divine. My companions very much enjoyed their grilled big gambas, and on the second occasion we also enjoyed crab - "sapateira." We didn't try the steak 'prego' this visit, but could be tempted when next in Lisbon. The drinks were good, the house white being a very nice albarinho.
Downsides - the menu is gorgeous but limited, because it's a beer and seafood place, not a full restaurant as such. Presumably people who go to the Ramiro know what they want, anyway. The only real accompaniment to main dishes is bread, but it's very nice bread! So don't expect a huge range of dishes to ponder over.
Some posters have complained that the waiters are peremptory and a bit surly. I didn't find this - they're quick because that's the nature of the place. They all have phenomenal memories for the orders, too. I didn't like the menus written on tablets, but I expect they use them because it's quicker getting customers to choose than giving them a conventional menu to peruse at leisure. The waiters do in fact smile from time to time, and have a sense of humour.
All in all, hot, noisy, hurried but wonderful - PS, once you're in, they don't rush you to leave, but you will feel like ordering a dessert (some are home-made) and an after-dinner drink. You can't miss this place!