“Style without substance”

Fontecruz Lisboa Autograph Collection
Ranked #79 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here in September for 3 nights. Plus points: lovely room, comfortable bed, fantastic shower, great location. Minus points: overpriced, no hot water in the morning, evidence of ongoing renovations. Wifi works when you balance your phone above the fuse box by the door, but no other place in the room that I could find. Don’t book the taxis at reception, its quicker to walk the 50 yards to the taxi rank.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ali M
There are newer reviews for Fontecruz Lisboa Autograph Collection

Reviewed October 28, 2012

At first impression seemed upscale, glam and 'black', an understatement. Rooms, lowly lit, actually disturbing the place is soooo dark.we upgraded to a suite, lot's of space. Almost felt like a tomb rehersel. Black wall paper in bathroom showed the remains of toothpaste and tooth scheming where a washable backsplash should be. No counter space at all in glitzy vanity. Definitely an exercise in form over function. They won't last at this rate. Better in a disco than a hotel where one has to see sometime. Breakfast was okay, nothing special. All in all a pretty weird modern goth place. Bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Take a flashlight and a head lamp!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JazCan
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We had two rooms fully paid for three nights but were told on arrival they couldn't accommodate us. They said there was a problem with the rooms but they only mentioned this after a phone call. We were suspicious that we had booked single occupancy rooms at a reduced rate and that the hotel simply sold them to someone else as a double occupancy room. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as you can't be sure you will actually get a room.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We chose the Fontecruz to finish a vacation, and explore downtown Lisbon for 3 days. Our reservation was made 23 days beforehand; as well, one week before, we reserved a parking spot and received a confirming email.
Yet when we arrived, tired from driving, were told the hotel was overbooked, however, they had arranged another hotel. This hotel was actually closer to the airport than downtown, but close to a subway stop. The Fontecruz front desk told us 'all the downtown hotels were fully booked'. While we were at the Fontecruz, two other couples with reservations were sent by taxi to the other hotel. Another couple, returning the hotel from sightseeing, came down to the front desk wondering why their room was not yet made up (this was 4:30 p.m.).
Instead of the hotel they recommended, on our own, we found the Eurostar Das Letras, a fabulous hotel, 3 blocks away, still walking distance to downtown sights.
We highly recommend staying at the Eurostar, and avoiding the Fontecruz.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had stayed in the Hotel Fontecruz in Seville Spain a couple years ago. Had such a great experience there, I thought I'd see how their new property in Lisbon compared for my first trip to Portugal.

Like the hotel in Seville, this property was sleek and modern, yet relaxed and completely comfortable. The location was excellent, just up far enough on the Avenida da Liberdade to be out of the tourist crush, but close enough so that the sites were easy to access in five minutes on foot.

The front desk staff was terrific. I was traveling with my parents. Any questions we had (and my mother had many) were answered thoughtfully and warmly. Marianna (I hope I'm spelling her name correctly) was always welcoming and endlessly helpful with directions, and gave us restaurant suggestions that fit our style -- non-touristy and authentic portuguese cuisine. Another staff member, Nuno, was also right there, willing to help and make sure we were doing well.

I did have two issues the first night in my room. The water pressure in my shower was terrible, and there were a couple of light bulbs in the bathroom that were bad. I mentioned this to the front desk the next morning. By the time I returned from lunch, all had been completely repaired and cleaned.

My room was modern, attractive, clean and comfortable. I was on the fourth floor, with a view of the shady Avenida and its beautiful tile sidewalks. I was concerned that the street below would be create a noise issue. Not at all! The double pane windows took care of that. And it did seem that the Avenida, by two in the morning, was completely free of traffic. Very peaceful.

Loved Lisbon! Loved the Fontecruz!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor, and facing the Avenida da Liberdade. Lovely views to be had!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Arrived at the hotel and was told even though they are charged me and my 5 friends they did not actually have room for us as they had closed 2 floors. There was no advance warning, we were then moved to a hotel on the outskirts of Lisbon and given taxi vouchers that were completely inadequate. Dreadful customer service. Never again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the fontecruz hotel 6 nights in october. We wished we could shorten our stay there but all was prepaid by our travel agency. I'll Try to make it short: the hotel is design and looks Nice for sure but there is no way This is a 5 stars hotel, it is more a 3. Our stay was very noisy, for many days we had drilling noise in the morning (starting at 8 am one day). One night, we couldnt sleep because there was a party on the main floor (flamenco is not really quiet is it?), the hotel didn't even tell us or apologie the day after. For two days, we couldnt get hot water, but only warm water from the shower. The breakfast is industrial and really not good (except for coffee), we only ate it twice while we had paid for the whole stay. The wifi is terrible so dont expect to be working easily. When i asked for the room service menu, i was told it was unavailable, you can only ask for drinks. And last but not least, they lost some of my laundry. When checking out, i asked for the manager but didn't have the chance to see him or her. I told the staff that a 5 stars hotel would at least offer compensation for all the discomfort and bad stay we had but we havent even been offered a drink while waiting for the cab... I dont recommand This hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple