“Excellent!”

Fontecruz Lisboa Autograph Collection
Ranked #79 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had stayed in the Hotel Fontecruz in Seville Spain a couple years ago. Had such a great experience there, I thought I'd see how their new property in Lisbon compared for my first trip to Portugal.

Like the hotel in Seville, this property was sleek and modern, yet relaxed and completely comfortable. The location was excellent, just up far enough on the Avenida da Liberdade to be out of the tourist crush, but close enough so that the sites were easy to access in five minutes on foot.

The front desk staff was terrific. I was traveling with my parents. Any questions we had (and my mother had many) were answered thoughtfully and warmly. Marianna (I hope I'm spelling her name correctly) was always welcoming and endlessly helpful with directions, and gave us restaurant suggestions that fit our style -- non-touristy and authentic portuguese cuisine. Another staff member, Nuno, was also right there, willing to help and make sure we were doing well.

I did have two issues the first night in my room. The water pressure in my shower was terrible, and there were a couple of light bulbs in the bathroom that were bad. I mentioned this to the front desk the next morning. By the time I returned from lunch, all had been completely repaired and cleaned.

My room was modern, attractive, clean and comfortable. I was on the fourth floor, with a view of the shady Avenida and its beautiful tile sidewalks. I was concerned that the street below would be create a noise issue. Not at all! The double pane windows took care of that. And it did seem that the Avenida, by two in the morning, was completely free of traffic. Very peaceful.

Loved Lisbon! Loved the Fontecruz!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor, and facing the Avenida da Liberdade. Lovely views to be had!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Fontecruz Lisboa Autograph Collection

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Arrived at the hotel and was told even though they are charged me and my 5 friends they did not actually have room for us as they had closed 2 floors. There was no advance warning, we were then moved to a hotel on the outskirts of Lisbon and given taxi vouchers that were completely inadequate. Dreadful customer service. Never again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the fontecruz hotel 6 nights in october. We wished we could shorten our stay there but all was prepaid by our travel agency. I'll Try to make it short: the hotel is design and looks Nice for sure but there is no way This is a 5 stars hotel, it is more a 3. Our stay was very noisy, for many days we had drilling noise in the morning (starting at 8 am one day). One night, we couldnt sleep because there was a party on the main floor (flamenco is not really quiet is it?), the hotel didn't even tell us or apologie the day after. For two days, we couldnt get hot water, but only warm water from the shower. The breakfast is industrial and really not good (except for coffee), we only ate it twice while we had paid for the whole stay. The wifi is terrible so dont expect to be working easily. When i asked for the room service menu, i was told it was unavailable, you can only ask for drinks. And last but not least, they lost some of my laundry. When checking out, i asked for the manager but didn't have the chance to see him or her. I told the staff that a 5 stars hotel would at least offer compensation for all the discomfort and bad stay we had but we havent even been offered a drink while waiting for the cab... I dont recommand This hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was very disappointed to find this hotel lacked atmosphere it is a new hotel in Lisboa and the de'cor is very dark with little lighting. There was constant maintenance being done on the floor we were on although it did cease at night it was anoying when we tried for an afternoon rest.The staff were very professional and friendly and assisted with complementry internet. I have no complaints with the comfort or size of the room and the bed was very comportable although the air conditioning was hot and could not turn to cool. Breakfast wich was included in our stay was only average. Only stayed one night as we had to meet up with a land tour the next day but would not stay here again It does not rate as five star Hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room with large windows so you and open the curtins and allow light into the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here at the end of September and was sadly disappointed by the experience. We paid £120 a night to find there was no wifi in the room (room 501), rooms just too dark, and on Saturday morning only cold water, so we couldn't shower. They wouldn't offer a refund because we booked through Expedia.

It's a good location, but my advice is go elsewhere, it's not worth the money.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here on a family trip and It was a good experience.
Pro's:
-Rooms are very spacious and airy
-Bathrooms are modern and huge and shower is very strong
-Beds are very comfy and pillows are fluffy
-the highlight of this trip was a receptionist called Marina who went out of her way to give great advice and even make last minute reservations for us in a great restaurant (she is one of the best staff they have).
-Location is smack in the middle of everything and within walking distance to the town.

Cons:
-Breakfast is overpriced
-Staff serving breakfast are extremely rude and unfriendly
-ventilation in the hallways and lifts seems to be bad
-Hotel is very dark and lacks lighting but I think thats part of the deco

All in all this hotel is great value for money, rooms are clean and a very good size, some staff are geat while others not so much so it lacks consistency but this could be due to the fact that its relatively a new property.

If you're staying in Lisbon i would wholeheartedly recomedn you to stay here and ask for Marina's help (she's a gem)

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and not the street as its a nicer view and less noisy
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

New hotel - should have gotten ideas from old hotels. No lighting. Black marble everywhere - constantly cleaning cause black picks up dirt. No mention of annex when booking hotel. It's hot in the hallways and elevators like they forget the AC. Chic and being hot isnt literal. No shower curtain or shower door. Small glass covering caused floods. No lighting above sink located outside the bathroom. No lighting in the seating area. Location is great it;s on the main blvd next to Metro and walking distance to most attractions. But that doesnt make up for everything else. Stayed in Sept 2012. Usually there's a marathon - they didnt know. We were trying to figure out how to get a cab to airport they said walk the bags away from the traffic. How about opening the back door and calling a cab for your paying customers.

Room Tip: Dont stay in annex. Clarify over phone, via email and in person.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends