3,950 results
All reviewsrooftop bargreat locationmartim moniz squarefloor restaurantcentral locationbusy hotellarge hotelfamous trambreakfast buffettram stoptop floortriple roomon footrossio stationpastriescity breakstreet noise
Reviewed January 30, 2012

After staying in Baixa Vincci Hotel - stayed for one night at Mundial. Such a big difference! Noisy, not very clean. Primitive buffet. But as an option for one night is OK!

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank vs-versus
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Located ideally for either the on and off busses or the trams and metro. Great buffet, yes, the bed is hard but after a day of getting around, it worked for me.

Room Tip: One on the interior site. Absolutely quietest room I've had in decades.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jagmoor
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I disagree with some of the negative comments. I found all staff to be helpful (males included), especially the doormen. I didn't notice the bed being too hard. Yes, there was a very hard pillow but there was also an extra very soft one in the wardrobe. Towels, bed linen and bath robes were all fine. I asked for a room with a view and that's what we were given, one of the castle. Breakfast is good - lots of variety. Ok, the scrambled eggs were not up to scratch but I would not expect them to be making fresh scrambled eggs to order for a hotel of this size. Fresh fruit was very nice. Hotel room was nice, clean and of a good size. Double bed was a bit on the small side. Hotel location is good, great for getting about with the buses and trams - BUT be careful of the pickpockets at the bus/tram stops. I saw them in action with my own eyes. They target the tourists so just make sure you don't carry anything in your pockets and you'll be fine and avoid getting on the tram with the rush of people as that is when they do it. They seem to get off the tram straight away before it leaves so I never felt any danger on the actual buses/trams - only at the stops. Don't let it put you off Lisbon though, police are practically everywhere, one outside the hotel all day and night which I'm assuming is to deter the pickpockets/beggars. We took the train to Sintra, well worth doing as the castle is amazing but a lot to see so a whole day would be worth setting aside for that. Piriquita's in Sintra had the most amazing cakes and coffee. If you want to see the sights of Belem then best to go Sunday morning as apparently all the sights are free on Sunday mornings and there is also a fair bit to see. Restaurants - we headed up to the Barrio Alto to eat as there was a nice atmosphere up there. We had a very nice dinner in Decadente though it's not what you would call traditional portuguese food if that is what you are looking for. Lisbon Castle is also worth visiting. Bar on the roof top of the hotel is amazing at night, definitely worth going to. My reasons for not giving this place 5 out of 5 is that I found the reception area and downstairs bar area quite gloomy and outdated and made it look more like a three star by my standards. For what I paid, it was a bargain!

5  Thank Mitherer
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here in mid January 2012. We didn't choose this hotel, it chose us. Actually, we booked a package including hotel (from Canada), airfare, breakfast, and our tour operator put us up in Hotel Mundial for a week.

When I first looked up this hotel on this site, I was happy to see all of the positive reviews. Then, just before we left, there was quite a bit of negative feedback which had me a bit worried.

As my rating implies, we were happy overall with this hotel.

Here is the reader's digest condensed version of my experience:

The good:

- fantastic location, you can walk to all of the major sites in central Lisbon
- close to the Metro and train station
- staff were polite and professional
- staff gave us great restaurant recommendations
- room was very clean and well maintained
- breakfast was good with a decent selection of items

The not so good:

- The beds and pillows are very uncomfortable. Mattress is way too hard/firm and the pillows are made of limp/soft solid foam.
- Hotel restaurant (for lunch/dinner) is mediocre, at best. Go out to the many restaurants nearby for a better meal.
- Wifi is pricey at 5-6 euros a day
- Our room faced the street which was noisy (but nothing that a good pair of earplugs cannot solve)

Overall, we had a positive experience at Hotel Mundial. We would stay here again although our backs will complain as the beds are extremely uncomfortable.

4  Thank NomadicCanuck
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Very convenient to visit the castle, Alfama, Baixo, Chiado and Bairro Alto.
During the day we could walk to almost any part of the old city. At night we would take a taxi.
The hotel gives 10% discount voucher for purchases made at the ground floor street stores of the hotel building.
There is a nice breakfast buffet that in our case came included with the room price.
Internet is available in the lobby for a fee and in the room as well.
The room was comfortable and we had views of the castle and Alfama quarter.
The bar at the back of the hall has interesting collection of different shaped bottles of spirits.
The hotel also provided free parking in the basement of the building. Coming out of the garage might be tricky due to the steep spiral ramp (harder if you have manual drive). An elevator gets you from the garage to the hall of the hotel.
People at the front desk were very courteous and nice. Also the door man was very helpful getting us taxi at night.
It is a good hotel for what it offers, the location and the price.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the castle
1  Thank reeldoc