3,956 results
All reviewsrooftop bargreat locationmartim moniz squarefloor restaurantcentral locationbusy hotellarge hotelfamous trambreakfast buffettram stoptop floortriple roomon footrossio stationpastriescity breakstreet noise
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I disagree with some of the negative comments. I found all staff to be helpful (males included), especially the doormen. I didn't notice the bed being too hard. Yes, there was a very hard pillow but there was also an extra very soft one in the wardrobe. Towels, bed linen and bath robes were all fine. I asked for a room with a view and that's what we were given, one of the castle. Breakfast is good - lots of variety. Ok, the scrambled eggs were not up to scratch but I would not expect them to be making fresh scrambled eggs to order for a hotel of this size. Fresh fruit was very nice. Hotel room was nice, clean and of a good size. Double bed was a bit on the small side. Hotel location is good, great for getting about with the buses and trams - BUT be careful of the pickpockets at the bus/tram stops. I saw them in action with my own eyes. They target the tourists so just make sure you don't carry anything in your pockets and you'll be fine and avoid getting on the tram with the rush of people as that is when they do it. They seem to get off the tram straight away before it leaves so I never felt any danger on the actual buses/trams - only at the stops. Don't let it put you off Lisbon though, police are practically everywhere, one outside the hotel all day and night which I'm assuming is to deter the pickpockets/beggars. We took the train to Sintra, well worth doing as the castle is amazing but a lot to see so a whole day would be worth setting aside for that. Piriquita's in Sintra had the most amazing cakes and coffee. If you want to see the sights of Belem then best to go Sunday morning as apparently all the sights are free on Sunday mornings and there is also a fair bit to see. Restaurants - we headed up to the Barrio Alto to eat as there was a nice atmosphere up there. We had a very nice dinner in Decadente though it's not what you would call traditional portuguese food if that is what you are looking for. Lisbon Castle is also worth visiting. Bar on the roof top of the hotel is amazing at night, definitely worth going to. My reasons for not giving this place 5 out of 5 is that I found the reception area and downstairs bar area quite gloomy and outdated and made it look more like a three star by my standards. For what I paid, it was a bargain!

5  Thank Mitherer
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here in mid January 2012. We didn't choose this hotel, it chose us. Actually, we booked a package including hotel (from Canada), airfare, breakfast, and our tour operator put us up in Hotel Mundial for a week.

When I first looked up this hotel on this site, I was happy to see all of the positive reviews. Then, just before we left, there was quite a bit of negative feedback which had me a bit worried.

As my rating implies, we were happy overall with this hotel.

Here is the reader's digest condensed version of my experience:

The good:

- fantastic location, you can walk to all of the major sites in central Lisbon
- close to the Metro and train station
- staff were polite and professional
- staff gave us great restaurant recommendations
- room was very clean and well maintained
- breakfast was good with a decent selection of items

The not so good:

- The beds and pillows are very uncomfortable. Mattress is way too hard/firm and the pillows are made of limp/soft solid foam.
- Hotel restaurant (for lunch/dinner) is mediocre, at best. Go out to the many restaurants nearby for a better meal.
- Wifi is pricey at 5-6 euros a day
- Our room faced the street which was noisy (but nothing that a good pair of earplugs cannot solve)

Overall, we had a positive experience at Hotel Mundial. We would stay here again although our backs will complain as the beds are extremely uncomfortable.

4  Thank NomadicCanuck
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Very convenient to visit the castle, Alfama, Baixo, Chiado and Bairro Alto.
During the day we could walk to almost any part of the old city. At night we would take a taxi.
The hotel gives 10% discount voucher for purchases made at the ground floor street stores of the hotel building.
There is a nice breakfast buffet that in our case came included with the room price.
Internet is available in the lobby for a fee and in the room as well.
The room was comfortable and we had views of the castle and Alfama quarter.
The bar at the back of the hall has interesting collection of different shaped bottles of spirits.
The hotel also provided free parking in the basement of the building. Coming out of the garage might be tricky due to the steep spiral ramp (harder if you have manual drive). An elevator gets you from the garage to the hall of the hotel.
People at the front desk were very courteous and nice. Also the door man was very helpful getting us taxi at night.
It is a good hotel for what it offers, the location and the price.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the castle
1  Thank reeldoc
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Untill the 60´s this was the best hotel in town (I was living in Lisbon at the time).
Then it went downhill for many years, and recently it went through a total renovation and expantion. One can see and feel the former splendor of the hotel, with all the staff running around and helping you with anything you need, everyone greeting you "good morning" when they meet you in the corridors, and so on.
The rooms are impecably clean and, naturally (regarding the fact that it is an hotell that takes up a whole block of the city), the view from the room can be fantastic... or not.

We stayed five nights and enjoyed it: The location is one of the best in the city, making it easy to find the good restaurants (be aware of the turist traps). By the way, we strongly recommend Sol Dourado, situated a five-minute walk from the hotel. The boss, senhor Diogo, is the nicest person you can find, and nothing is impossible to him: You ask, he makes it happen. Don´t be shy.
This central location of the hotel makes it also easy to drop off your bags when you have been shopping, you don´t need to carry things around the whole day.

What we didn´t like in the hotel was the standard of the breakfast: I did not expect such a poor variety. For instance, only one kind of ham, cheese and fruit, and the scrumbled eggs where made out of egg-powder (!!!). I know the town well, and next time we get back to Lisbon we are going to book the same hotel, but eat a cheaper and better breakfast in ant local coffey shop.

While I am at it, there is a place I use to visit, about 150 meters from the hotel entrance, a place that turists normally don´t see: When you go out from the main entrance, look for that long and high building on the right side of the park in front of you. It is a marketplace where you can find quite nace clothes and other things, at chinese prices. Remember that the building has three underground levels too.

I hope you enjoy your stay. And by the way, a comment about guests finding the staff rude: Portuguese people are extremely proud and the don´t like to be looked down at. They like to be respected, and they allways respond better to a smile, even if you are right and they are wrong.

Room Tip: Ask for the kind of room you prefere when you make the booking, for isntance if the view is important. The whole hotel is in a quiet place, so you should not be disturbed by traffic sounds. The higher, the better.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank watergeorg
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Mundial and only for the fact that the hotel was prepaid, would have checked out 1st day.
The male reception staff were consistently rude, and the status of this Hotel as a "tour hotel" was demonstrated in all our interactions with staff.
We were allocated a room on the 4th floor, which had 70s furniture, dirty walls and greasy furnishings. The air con was very noisy but the open window alternative even more so. The pillows were a square of foam covered with a thin pillowcase, and all the linen, including towels, scratchy and grey/white.
A pleasant request to change rooms was meet with contempt and a 'who do you think you are" attitude.
We used the Hotel only to sleep and shower, and would not recommend it, just in case like us, you are forced into a Floor 4 room.

Room Tip: If the room allocation is not confirmed with the booking, do not pre-pay.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple