“Lisbon Colours - do not stay if you want a good night’s sleep.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lisbon Colours

Lisbon Colours
Ranked #37 of 406 Specialty Lodging in Lisbon
perth
“Lisbon Colours - do not stay if you want a good night’s sleep.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Booked a 2 bed apartment with balcony for 7 nights based on other travellers’ recommendations. What a mistake! I have never stayed in such a noisy location. The apartment block is in the Bairro Alto district, quiet and somewhat boring during the day though well located for access to many tourist destinations. Come 10pm it’s a different story. The many surrounding touristy restaurants and bars are packed most nights. Other than Sunday and Monday nights when venues closes around 1pm, the music blasts till at least 3 am and revelers are still partying at 4 am. Unless you too are a full on party animal this location is not for you.

The apartment is reasonably well appointed –though not flash it has most mod cons other than washing machine and telephone. We were provided with a mobile but no chargerto be used call ‘reception’ as there is no reception on site. We could make no other outgoing calls though could receive incoming calls. On day 3 the phone battery went flat and we had to wait to hand the phone to the caretaker the next day to be recharged.

Our apartment bedrooms had a view onto the small street; hence the sleepless nights. The living area looked onto an inner courtyard – nothing special but there was plenty of day light. Nighttime lighting in the apartment was very poor – it was impossible to read in the living area and in bedroom one needed to have the ceiling light and bedside lights on to caste sufficient illumination for reading. Forget watching television unless you speak Portuguese.

Apartment cleaning was hit and miss –some days it was not cleaned till 5pm or 6pm and on the day before we checked out there was no clearing at all!

The caretaker staff who did the cleaning were helpful. I was sick and one assisted me to locate a doctor.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want to sleep before 4 am each night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elisabethperth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I usually don’t write reviews, but the experience I just had at the Lisbon Colours was bad enough I had to share it with others. In no way is it my intent to discourage anyone from staying here, but at least you should know what kind of attitude you may be dealing with if a misfortunate problem arises during your stay. A colleague and I booked an apartment there for a week during our conference visit to Lisbon, just a few days ago, encouraged by the great reviews we had read online. Everything started off nice - the apartment appeared clean, the staff was friendly, we were greeted with a glass of port wine, etc. I took one bedroom with queen size bed, my colleague took the other. It is relevant to the story to mention that each bed was equipped with two pairs of pillows- two with white pillow cases, and two blue colored ones that matched the duvet cover. The only complaint besides the main story coming up is that we didn’t know that the apartments are located right in the heart of Bairro Alto bar/club scene, so the place was a bit noisy even on weeknights past midnight. This is not ideal when you are visiting Lisbon for work, but I didn’t mind it too much and that was not what prompted me to write this review.
On the fourth day of my visit, I was doing some reading in my bed and I re-shuffled the pillows when I noticed that the blue pillows on one side had some white stains of something clearly being spilled and not washed. These turned out to be dried up body fluids along with what were clearly - greasy body prints from somebody enjoying their Bairro Alto experience to the fullest. Luckily, I hadn’t actually slept on those two pillows, but on the plain white ones; nevertheless, the dirty pillows were right next to me the whole time I was sleeping in this bed. Because I realized that clearly the blue sheets were not changed before our stay I went on to inspect all of the bed sheets . The blue comforter turned out also with matching stains but on the side facing downward, which would make it impossible to spot unless you separated the comforter from the white sheet below. Immediately, I brought this to attention of the guy in charge of the rooms (Igor- who was actually nice up to this point) and he apologized and promptly changed the sheets. I felt bad, because Igor and the girl who was in charge of cleaning were really nice, so I tried not to make a big fuss and just speak to the manager directly. Igor said he would contact the manager and let him know of what I found. Boy, what an adventure that conversation was.
First of all, it took about two days for the manager to finally meet with us since he has a daytime job in some restaurant and is unavailable most of the time. In those two days, the manager apparently made a visit to the apartment while I was in the conference, (I had the cell phone they gave me to use and they never tried to call me to arrange the meeting, but that’s beside the point). Then, when he finally showed up on the second to last day of our visit, he started arguing that it was odd that I only reported these stains on the fourth day of my visit?!?! (I don’t know, I guess I assumed that sanitary conditions of the hotel were understood so I didn't really think of inspecting the apartment for cleanliness as soon as I arrived). He basically implied that I was responsible for the stains. I should add that I am a woman and this was extremely offensive, disrespectful, and hurtful to me. Then, as a counter-argument, if I can call it that, he actually pointed to me and my colleague a different stain on the wall in the corner of my colleague’s room saying it wasn’t there when he did the room inspection a month ago (according to them this is how long the room had been vacant before we arrived) and therefore that it must have been us who made the stains so we shouldn’t complain about the dirty pillows and sheets!?!? If it wasn’t illogical, rude, and completely against any normal customer service code of conduct, this argument would be quite comical. Clearly, neither me or my friend noticed this stain and had no idea it was even there until he pointed it out. My colleague tried to knock some sense into these two telling them it is pretty gutsy to accuse your customer who just slept for four days next to some guys excrements that she was making up a story.
I have never before this time cried over a hotel stay. I am still flustered over what just transpired couple days ago. I have never experienced being blamed for hotel failing to do their job and completely degraded by the staff. Of course, we paid the full price of 140 euros/day for the apartment for the entire stay despite being exposed to the uncomfortable and potentially even health-hazardous situation. In the United States, somebody would have started a lawsuit for this. We filed complaint with Booking.com, and apparently as of today, they were still not able to get ahold of the apartment management. I am happy to see most other reviewers had a great experience here but I will never ever ever ever come back to this place again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank stellaazzura
HILÁRIO C, Gerente geral at Lisbon Colours, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Right of reply.
Dear Lady,
Lisbon Colours Apartments, respects and preserves all the people that chooses us to accommodate them in Lisbon.
Inside our proposes of accommodating in the historic district of Lisbon, where we are located. With the best and most busy night life of this city, with people from all over the world walking down the streets of Bairro Alto.
Lisbon Colours Apartments is placed in a 19th century building, refurbished and adapted with modern tecnology, that aims to provide high comfort, bringing to its guests, the feeling of being included on Bairro Alto´s life.
But, there will be guests willing another kinda of accommodating. Guests that deserves all our respect. And when they criticize us, they do honestly.
But the report that you have made, reflects the person that written that relate.
By this way, i feel the right of replying and making clear some points, that you, our guest, unfortunately or not, has forgotten to make public.
Beginning from the end of your report, it makes me believe that in the United States of America, you have created similar situations to make your stay for free. And your report confirms that.
If not, lets see. This problem has happened because you all wanted a good discount on your stay.
Before all these facts, as the responsable for this unit, and after a meeting with the head of service and the chambermaid, where they have ensured that your apartment has been delivered to you, cleaned and with all bed linen sanitized, and have understood the ocurred situations on this apartment, i have decided to not give up to your intentions.
Before this fact, you, our guests, have taken contact with your tour operator, where you have reported a completely different history that i mention: "In the apartment, we have seen insects on the bed sheets (Bed Bugs)", claiming a discount on the payment for your stay.
As you did not reach what you wanted, as a revenge, you have shown this tangle on the internet.
By this way, i will put here, openly, my reply for the problem exposed by you.
After four days of your staying in Lisbon Colours Apartments, it was not possible to blame us this responsability.
Once, that during your stay, you, our guests, have gotten in, to the mentioned apartment, with men and woman, that were not included on the respective reserve.
As well as in one of the bedrooms, there were stains on the wall. Situation that has been figured out on the day we had your request to go to your apartment. Stains that we have taken photographs.
Then i ask: You, dear guest, has been in shock with the stains on the duvet, and did not notice that party stains on the wall?
When, you got into the apartment for the first time and during these four days, you have never mentioned this situation.
The Lisbon Colours Apartments procedures when receiving our guests ( check in ) are the followings:
- The guest is taken to the apartment, a visit is made, when we give a short explanation about how it works.
- The reception of the apartment is signed, with the inventary in accordance with it.
Which is the reason of telling a different history to Booking.com?
To claim a discount?
Lisbon Colours Apartments agree all its responsabilities.
But, never deals with this kinda of attitude!

Note: Replying this critic, we hope Alert/Share with other Hotels/Apartments, to be aware when being before a similar situation.
Atenciously.
Hilário Castro
(Lisbon Colours General Manager)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I liked everything of Lisbon Colours!
Igor, the receptionist is very kind and he welcomes you with a glass of Porto. The apartment was exactly like in the pictures: smart furniture and decoration. Everything was very clean, the bed is comfortable and the kitchen is fully equipped with microvawe, oven, kettle and toaster!
They also provide you with a mobile that you can use to receive calls or make calls to numebrs in Lisbon.
This is the best acomodation I have been so far and it is very good value for money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The 4th floor, river-view appartment has a great view. It was decorated & equipped to a very high standard, very clean and with a bedroom at the rear away from any noise. The concierge, Igor, was very helpful and even lent me a mobile with contact details for ease of contact in case of problems. This is in the Bairro Alto bar & eating district, close to the Metro, commercial district, 'elevadores', and Rossio station, so very well-placed for trips to Sintra & Belem. (For older/less mobile persons, there was no lift).

Room Tip: If you are less mobile, chose a room on a lower floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I highly recommend this apartments! I just got back from there and I stayed in the apartment with the river view. It was the best choice I could've make! Everything about this apartment was flawless: very comfortable bed, full kitchen amenities, a great marble bathroom with a nice bathtub, super clean, the location is excellent, right in the heart of Lisbon's nightlife and close to everything. Regarding the noise I've been reading about on other reviews, well that's a subjective matter. I had NO problem sleeping. The windows isolate the noise very well. And probably the best thing about Lisbon Colours is Igor, who made my stay as pleasant as possible. He is doing everything to please the guests. He even came in a hurry on his day off to help me with some information about the city. Also, I had my plane late in the evening so he let me stay until my leaving time although the check out was supposed to be done at 12 p.m. So thank you, Igor for making me feel like home.:)
If I will come back to Lisbon, I will certainly stay here again!
PS. I was concerned about the safety of the neighborhood, so I'd like to mention that as a single woman I felt really really safe! So go for it, book an apartment at Lisbon Colours! You'll be so glad you did! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Best location in town, heart of Barrio alto but not noisy. Apartments decoration is nice, modern, all facilities included, very light rooms, comfortable bed, bathroom is great, full kitchen facilities. The service is very good. I left late in the evening and they let me stay till my leaving time with no extra charge!
I do recommend this apartments. Next time I wil stay there for sure.

Room Tip: I stayed at "Lisboa e Tejo" apartment, 4th floor, no elevator
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Canmore, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

It's true that the area around the apartments turn into party central around 10 pm but the noise was minimal once the windows were closed (and I had an apartment overlooking the street). I loved the transformation from a really quiet neighbourhood during the day to a VERY lively place at night.
The apartment itself was perfect for my needs: nice bright sitting room, well-equipped kitchen, comfy bedroom and nice modern bathroom. The heating/a.c. was easy to operate and effective (I used both over the course of my stay!) and the instructions for the appliances were also really easy to follow. Wifi worked well apart from one morning but someone came to fix it within the hour. At first I was a bit dismissive of the phone they give you when you check in but in fact it was great to be able to call them with questions as there isn't someone at reception all the time as there might be in an hotel.

Room Tip: Ask about the number of stairs you'll have to climb to get to the apartment!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo