Hotel Anjo Azul
$286
$177
$173
  • Restaurant
TRYP Lisboa Aeroporto Hotel(Lisbon)
$216
$170
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Oeiras(Lisbon)(Great Value!)
$104
galahotels.com
Hotel Avenida Palace(Lisbon)
$288
Cancelon
All reviewsbars and restaurantsbarrio altolively areaair congreat locationplace to stayroom was cleanby footquiet streetstayed here for nightsreception staffneighborhoodlobbybalconybathluggagemetro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2007

The hotel was clean and brightly decorated which was a nice change from the typical, boring hotel room. The location in the Barrio Alto is GREAT!!! The reason to stay here is clearly the location. Everything in the Barrio Alto is within a couple of blocks so that's very nice. The management was friendly and nice. We stayed on the 3rd floor and our room faced an alley so it was quiet with respect to outside noise but during the night you can hear people walking up and down the stairs. At one point, a group of people were talking in the hallway and it sounded like it was in our room (really loud). So the rooms are not insulated and quiet. But they are clean and comfortable (but as another review noted, not a lot of space to store things). It was good for one night, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 1 or 2 nights there. Our room was EUR75. Not a bad value for the location.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leecylee
Reviewed April 6, 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2007. We stayed on the 4th floor facing the street and had our own bathroom.

LOCATION
The location is an a traditional neighbourhood in central Lisboa known as Barrio Alto (High Neighbourhood). Getting to the hotel from the main airport bus stop requires going up some steep hills, you will not regret this as the benefits are worth it. (At least you can walk down with your bags when you leave).

Just outside of the high tourist area you can easily walk to numerous restaurants and bars that are more pleasant and less expensive than those in the main square. There are also funky little shops in the area too.

A tram comes reasonably close to the hotel, and many of the central attractions are within walking distance. It is great to see an attraction, come back to the hotel for a rest, and then go straight out into the heart of Lisboa. You can not get a more traditional and convenient experience by staying a few kilometres out in a chain hotel.

ROOM
-All the features in the room seem quite new.
-The room also had an alarm clock, wardrobe, safe and a small bar fridge. A kettle would have been nice feature, though I knew the room did not have one, so can’t complain.
-There is a TV in the room, but only a few Portuguese channels, there is so much to see and do that this is not important.
-The room had a little balcony too which was nice.

BATHROOM (in room)
The bathroom is small, so if you are obese you will have difficulty, but most people won’t. The shower was fine for me. There was always hot water, though the cold tricked me with water pressure, as there was another tap high on the wall that controlled the cold water pressure. The shower has a sloping ceiling and tall people may find this not tall enough.

One unpleasant aspect however was a putrid smell in the bathroom that appeared when the door was closed, while it could not be pinpointed I suspect it came from the drain. If you left the doors open it was usually okay.

COMMUNUAL FACILITIES
-Internet - there is an internet in the lobby that you do not have to pay for, this was handy. I do not know if there is wireless as I did not take a laptop.
-Bar - I did not use this, and I did not see anyone else use it, not sure if there were many guests.
- The back of the hotel has a nice little courtyard, again I did not use this, though I imagine it would be lovely in the summertime.
- The website says “There is also a small living room and a kitchen equipped for our guest's use”, however when we asked we were told there was no kitchen.

CLEANLINESS
The entire place was exceptionally clean, and a cleaner comes in everyday. She also makes your bed.

STAFF
The staff are really helpful and seem to speak many languages, including English. The provide you with maps and tips on the local area. You are required to leave your key at the desk when you go out, which I find handy, and the desk is staffed 24 hours.

ATMOSPHERE
I did not find this place noisy, I only heard one or two doors bang. Perhaps the neighbourhood would be more lively in the summertime, but if you take earplugs for sleeping then there will be no problems I am sure. A lot of noise is blocked out from the street as the window glass is thick, and there are internal window shutters.

BOOKING
The booking process should be followed carefully, as indicated on the website. You are required to pre-reserve a room and to confirm the day before by phone (they have Skype). We were pleased to receive a small discount as we had a print for one.

RECOMMENDATION
I would recommend this place to singles and couples wanting to explore Lisboa . In reference to other reviews, gay/lesbian/straight/others will all enjoy this place as long as they want to.

Should I return to Lisboa I will return to Hotel Anjo Azul.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigTripGirl
Reviewed January 15, 2007

This little hotel is in a great location deep in the heart of the Bairro Alto. The staff were exceptionally friendly & helpful, and the rooms were small but tasteful and clean.

Unfortunately sound carries from the lobby and up & down the stairs & hallway. Not the quietest night's sleep.

Unbeknownst to us, the Azul is a gay hotel but is definitely hetero-friendly. Just a very mild warning.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ThisCatsAbroad
Reviewed September 28, 2006

while planning our trip to lisbon, we had noted that anjo azul got top ratings from the lonely planet folks.

the price was OK, but we were disappointed with the small rooms with little storage space for our bags/clothes. the rooms are all unique in their look, but we did feel cramped. the room service was excellent, however we did not appreciate the proximity to other folks (the walls seemed paper-thin) and the smells of cigarette smoke.

the location was notable. bairro alto has tons of restaurants, bars, and stores to finish off a day of routine tourist activities. the daily trip down the elevador santa justa was a nice way to start the mornings.

the front desk staff was inconsistent but friendly.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank denaliboy
Reviewed July 20, 2006

The primary advantage of staying here is the location - fabulous for the nightlife and sightseeing too, and there are few hotels closeby.

Rooms at the rear with little balconies seem to be the best. The design is quite funky (on a budget) and may not be to everybody's taste, but it's certainly individual. Service at reception can be a bit ditzy but is very friendly.

Overall, recommended for gay and breeders alike.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple