“Great Value for money”

Ranked #101 of 238 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Value for money”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Happy@Chiado in January for a few nights on a Lisbon break.

The guesthouse was great. The rooms were massive and amazing value for money, the bathrooms are shared, but during my stay i didn't even see another guest so felt like it was a private bathroom for me.

Location wise, i dont think you could get any better, it was smack bang in the middle of Barrio Alto, granted there was a large hike up about 4 flights of stairs, i really didnt think this was an issue at all, in fact maybe a positive as being higher up you cant hear all the crazy noise from the streets below.

The only slight negative maybe was the thin walls between my room and the next one. you could pretty much hear everything in the next room as if it was in your own room.

Overall though i would for sure recommend this guesthouse to anyone on a budget, it was clean and in a stunning location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Melb1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I must admit, I am torn in my review. I think my conclusion is that it depends on what you want in your stay in Lisbon. I stayed in a front room with a single twin bed. Here are my thoughts:

On the one hand, the staff was very nice, the room and bathrooms were clean, it is really close to the subway (Barrio Alto) to get to and from the airport, the location is great, and 25 euros is cheap.

However, on the other hand, the front room was noisy, noisy, noisy, Barrio Alto is crowded and dirty, the stairs after a week of traveling are killers, the single bed is really small (I am 130 lbs and 5'7" and thought I would fall out) and you can hear your neighbors talk, open their closets, and sneeze.

As for the outside noise, they told me that it calms down at about 2am (wasn't thrilled to hear that) but the truth was that it may have calmed down at 2am but then what was left were the drunks screaming in the streets! As for the noise inside, glad no one snored and I had to leave at 6am for my plane. However, sleep was not what I got there.

I stayed in Rossio when I first arrived in Portugal and when I came back, I stayed in Barrio Alto. I think I am probably better off near Rossio. It is calmer and quieter, which is more my style at age 40, and is closer to more of the attractions that I wanted to see versus the night life and chaos.

So, it depends what you want while in Lisbon. It is a great price for a clean space and you are right in the middle of the action. Staying in the back rooms might be quieter, I don't know.

PS. If you stay, the light switches for the stairs are on each landing. Don't forget to turn them on or you are in the dark. They are also timed. Also, you are carrying your luggage. No one there to help you out on the four story climb.

Room Tip: I would ask for a back room and a double bed, even if I were a solo traveler.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank traveler1202
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Amazing place for only EUR20 a night. I stayed in the huge African theme room, which had a separate lounge, tv and balcony (room 9). Friendly and helpful staff. Kitchen to make food and or coffee/tea. Great location! I'd definitely stay here again and recommended the place to all my friends. In Porto I paid EUR23 for a room per night that didn't even had a window facing outdoors, the window opened onto the staircase, so no privacy.

The shower was blocked, so need maintenance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JanineZA
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

A great little place, right in the centre of Lisbon for a fantastic price. The place is really quirky, our room was lovely, clean and light with access to free wifi. Our room also had a little balcony with views out onto the street which was great for people watching. The shared kitchen and bathrooms were also fine, well equipped and cleaned every day. The hotel is really well located, Baixa-Chiado tube station is just a two minute walk away and the Barrio Alto quarter of Lisbon is right on the door step, which during the day is quiet, but at night transforms into a busy and vibrant place packed full of restaurants, bars and quirky little shops that stay open until late. As others have mentioned the only down side of staying here are the stairs, which after a long day walking around Lisbon were a chore to climb – but that wound’s stop us from staying here again!

Room Tip: Book a room at the front of the building which looks out over the street, they're probably a bit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dogmax_1
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I liked very much this B&B. It quite clean, and very central. 10 minutes walk from Rosio station or 10 minutes to the Cais do Sodre, very close to city center and the shopping area and restaurants. Carlos was very nice and helpful. The kitchen was fully equipped for those that wanted to prepare something for breakfast. The only disadvantage was that the room are situated at the 4th and 5th floor, and after a day of walking in Lisbon, they seem quite difficult to climb. Overall it worth all the money, and even more I could say :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madalina_eu
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I expected a mediocre place given price point and website photos. What a great surprise! I avoid staying in impersonal, cookie-cutter hotels, preferring places that reflect the culture. This is that sort of place.

Happy@Chiado is in a great old walk-up building. Yes, you'll have to drag your luggage up 4 or 5 flights. My room is large, includes a balcony and small lounge. It's clean and tidy, the wifi is excellent.

The bathroom and kitchen are charming and clean, making you feel right at home.

Service is also great so far, my only complaint is that there was no outdoor signage. Apparently someone took it on Friday so it hasn't been replaced yet. The street changes names multiple times so it was difficult to find until I finally deduced from trial and error that this was the right place.

Well worth it overall. I would recommend and return.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Trickey_travels
ORADEA,ROMANIA
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Fantastic location, next Placa de Camoes, two minutes walking from Baixa Chiado metro station.Tram station is just around the corner.Lots of restaurants, pastelarias , a minimarket, shops for everything you need.Very easy to take the train for Sintra and Cascais walking five minutes to Rossio station .
I spent six nights in Lisbon .The guesthouse has more personality out of more hotels I've been.I was impressed by the decoration, specially the lively colors.My room was comfortable, spacious, with a little balcony.All was very clean:the bathroom, a modern kitchen with all appliances, an enormous lounge with a big TV.
No lift, just 72 steps but who cares?I am in Lisbon and I have a little balcony overlooking the city for 16 euro a night.
Carlos, the owner is a good guy, friendly and helpful.He gave me a map and helped me when I had a little problem.
Staying here I made an excellent choice and I hope to stay again.

Room Tip: This is just a guesthouse with few rooms, you need a reservation.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Bairro Alto Hotel
Chiado & Carmo
Lisbon Poets Hostel
Lisbon Poets Hostel
#14 of 446 in Lisbon

Been to Happy@Chiado? Share your experiences!