“Don't miss the cloisters with their archeological excavations”

Se de Lisboa ( Igreja de Santa Maria Maior )
Book In Advance
More Info
$67.20*
and up
Small-Group Lisbon Sightseeing Tour by Segway with Food Tastings
Ranked #65 of 425 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cathedral Se, a large fortress begun in 1150 A.D. by Afonso Henriques, is the burial place for Lisbon's patron saint, St. Anthony.
New York City, New York
603 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 564 helpful votes
“Don't miss the cloisters with their archeological excavations”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have to say, having visited Portugal and seen many churches and cathedrals in 3 different cities (Lisbon, Porto and Evora) it does tend to all blend together in my mind. However, what I remember most vividly from Lisbon's Cathedral - besides the austere fortress-like exterior - is the cloister. At first I thought, omg, how chaotic, what a mess, but then as I started to take in what they have unearthed, the confluence of Roman, Moorish and early Christian ruins, I was amazed.

It will be interesting to see how they eventually preserve what they have discovered (if there is any money available to do that), and whether they do some work on the cloisters themselves, which are also in a state of disrepair. I like the dilapidated look of things, but if it gets much worse, it might be in danger of becoming a ruin itself!

Visited May 2013

278 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Sé Catherdral”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Pictorest church. Huge and beautiful. At the top of a hill, overlooking the city of Liboa. Trams pass in front of it. Religious artifacts used in procesions are gathered in a room inside the church. There is an amazing Pietá right at the entrance.

Visited February 2013
Brooklyn, NY
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Eh....”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We visited the Se Cathedral in Lisbon in April 2013. Got to say... we were not all that impressed. Perhaps we were just jaded because we had already seen several outstanding and remarkable churches in Portugal, but this site left us kind of flat. It is worth stopping in for a few minutes if you are in the area, but don't go out of your way to visit. Also, when we stopped by, many parts of the cathedral were closed.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ElectricMayhem
Bath, United Kingdom
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Only for Cathedral connoisseurs”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Only for Cathedral connoisseurs, unless you are wandering in the area, and even then you are likely to be disappointed.
We love visiting Cathedrals, but there is very little of interest here.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank CatherineBath
sao paulo
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“What emotion!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

On December 31th I attend the last mass of the 2012 Year at this Church on 06 Pm: I got so emotional because the atmosphere was so mystic and made me feel at the Middle Ages: this church was one of the most beautiful I've ever gone!

Visited December 2012