“Decent food, lacklustre service, invasive tv”

Comidas de Santiago
Ranked #3,769 of 4,503 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Opting to sit inside as the outside temperature soared, the silenced tv football served more the staff's interest than anyone else's. The room was slightly cooler at least.

The sardines came with a few potatoes and the token salad leaves such places seem obliged to offer; the fish was very fresh and well-cooked. The decently sized glass of white wine, at 2.5euro, was nice enough but seemed devoid of alcohol.

A small (0.33cl) bottle of mineral water (1.60eu) was opened and placed on the table before I had the chance to object. Another unrequested imposition.

Half way through the meal, the tv football programme finished and some dire music video programme came on for which the volume was activated. This again seemed to serve the staff's interests more than the comfort of the customers'. This hastened my exit as I passed on dessert and coffee.

The service was prompt enough but lacking in any enthusiasm and one got the impression the staff couldn't wait to finish the shift.

Marks for the food only - which shouldn't be too difficult to attain - grilled sardines are hardly a very demanding dish at the best of times.

With the unrequested appetizers placed on the table as one sits (2 'pasteis' of cod(2.00eu), small bowl of olives (1.00eu), bread(0.50eu)) the final bill - 16.60euro.

Would advise to avoid unless desperate and in the area of the castle.

2  Thank anglital

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was traveling by myself and two waiters served me. They were so kind! They even gave me a complimentary shot of ginja. I went here for the grilled sardines which were salty, crispy and greasy - so: really tasty!! I enjoyed it and in the end paid around 16?.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

A few minutes walk from the St. George's castle, you will find Comidas de Santiago, a small restaurant with an attractive terrace. We disvovered the place when looking for an affordable restaurant for a small dinner near our hostel.
Comidas de Santiago is not a tourist trap as you could expect given the proximity to one of Lisbon's main tourist spots. It offers solid portuguese cusine with some international alternatives. We had Sardines with potatoes and salad. They were not outstanding but quite tasty and reasonably priced given the location.
Staff was friendly and attentive. Wait time was reasonably short.

Tell them to skip the couvert. Neither the bread nor the olives are worth the upcharge.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

As we walked up to S. Jorge castle, we saw the lunch special for sardines -- 10 Euros! We got a table inside since all the outside tables were taken and were served two bean salads, bread, olives, our sardines (5 on each plate with salads), some bottled water, and wine for under 32 Euros... and the sardines were grilled exactly right... all the innards... the spine detached cleanly... and the meat was to die for.... I didn't eat too much of the flesh since it was heavily salted and I didn't want to be too thirsty later... but do try it... nice service... clean W.C.s... simple hole-in-the-wall ambiance...

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The grilled sardines were ample with side salad and potatoes. Side order of olives were abit stale. Nice to have lunch under the trees.