“Must do when in Lisbon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Epic Surf School

Epic Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Epic is mobile surf school in Lisbon,Portugal, based in the city center, aimed at surfers of all levels. From beginners to advanced, we know all surfers appreciate a close relationship with nature and value the adventure of discovering a wide range of surf spots, away from the overcrowded beaches. Epic Surf School provides daily departures from Lisbon's city center (with front door accommodation pick up option) exploring many of the hidden treasures along the Portuguese coastline. Besides transportation within a range of 80km (whenever a better and suitable surf spot is required), we provide full equipment, sport insurance and qualified local surf instructors fluent in english. Come and explore our Epic Surf Spots! We drive you to Epic Surfing Moments!Certifications:School and coaches certified by the Portuguese Surfing Federation; Certification by the Portuguese Tourism Institute;European First Aid Certification (Portuguese Red Cross); Sports Insurances.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Must do when in Lisbon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in Lisbon for 8 days and I knew I had to go surfing since Portugal is known for it's waves and surf scene. I did an all-day surf lesson that included one surf session before lunch and one after. Rui and Romeu are THE BEST.

We started out doing yoga followed by the basics of surfing on the beach, which was extremely helpful. After that we spent the rest of the day attempting to get up on the board and ride some sweet waves. I felt so comfortable with my first ever surf lesson with Rui and Romeu's help; they stayed by my side the whole time.

It doesn't hurt that the beach is beautiful as well: not touristy and simply breathtaking.

I recommend this surf school to EVERYONE. Much love to Epic Surf School. Cheers, I will be back again.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Sabrina Z

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Must Do in Lisbon! Epic surfing and no tourist trap here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Summary: Fun for solo or group of friends who want to try surfing. Rui is also a great technical teacher for beginner to intermediate surfers who want to progress. Best way to get to know Lisbon!

We were on a three day trip to Lisbon, and it was my dream to surf the Atlantic . First, I contacted a surf school that was recommended to me by someone in San Francisco but they never replied to my email. Then I found Epic Surf School through Tripadvisor and sent an email about two weeks prior to our trip. Rui was very responsive and extremely professional in his email response. As a small biz owner myself, I appreciated this because I know how hard it is to get back to people if you do not have a huge staff to handle emails and reservations.

Rui met our little group of 3 in our hotel in downtown Lisbon (Park Atlantic Lisboa). He was on time and having a mobile surf school was great because he can pick and choose the best surf spot and not get stuck in a beach which may not have the best waves for the day. We ended up in the town of Costa Caparica. I have had a number of instructors --I have been surfing for a year now -- and Rui is definitely top notch. My two companions were newbies and he made them very comfortable running through the basics prior to entering the water. It was in November, slightly chilly but still very comfortable. He tailored his instructions based on skill level. Despite the differences in our levels, he was able to guide everyone and made sure we progressed and most importantly we had loads of fun. I had my first every photo of surfing. Rui went back with us to downtown Lisbon before dropping us back to the hotel. He had lunch with us and was able to go to a great lunch place downtown where we ordered Picao and Picao and clam soup -- damn they were good. Of course we had to also have Pasteis de Nata. Thank you Rui for joining us. Your tourist board should pay you for the service you do for your city.

I decided to go for another day of surfing (surf addict). It was cool because we checked a couple of spots before landing on another part of Costa Caparica. It is a great way to see Lisbon life far from the usual places. I usually surf a 7'6 board and Rui thought I could go with a shortboard (6'4). The waves were a bit gnarly but I went with it and it awesome --> I was able to pop up on a shortboard. Rui is not only a great instructor for folks who want to try surfing for the first time, but also for surfers who want to get to the next level. He corrected my stance and worked on my turns which I have only started to do. Did I say I was able to pop up on a shortboard? It was a major surfing milestone for me. Also, I learned how to duckdive for the first time. Well he had to help me in because it was my first time with a shortboard but it was great foundation on what a correct duck dive feels. Rui also thought it was weird that I never had a photo of myself surfing so since I had a 1.1 lesson, he actually got a GoPro camera and got a video of me surfing. Cool! So what did I learn after an extra hour of surfing: A belief in myself that I could rock a shortboard, working on my stance and turning, getting a feel of how to duckdive properly and a GoPro video.

Rui is the epitome of Stoke --- "to be "stoked" is to be completely and intensely enthusiastic, exhilirated, or excited about something. those who are stoked all of the time know this; being stoked is the epitome of all being. when one is stoked, there is no limit to what one can do." I am glad he is sharing the stoke, the love of the ocean and the love for his city with the lucky souls who have visited its shores.

Now that is Epic!

4 Thank renopipino
Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Part of our Lisbon Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

My friend and I were only in Lisbon for two days and decided to try and book a surfing lesson! I e-mailed Rui asking for more information and he was honest about the difficult weather conditions on the weekend, but was accommodating in trying to book us a lesson on Monday. He gave us great directions to our meeting point, provided easy transportation to the beach site, had the wet suits and boards and even brought us back to the hostel. Having never surfed before, it was a bit nerve-racking but Rui provided us with all of the knowledge and skills we needed training us on sand and in the water. He was so much fun and took great pictures for us to document! He was extremely observant and immediately picked up on what we should work on in order for us to stand up- and we both did! I would definitely recommend Epic Surf School to anyone willing to surf, Rui was amazing in accommodating my friend and I. It was definitely our best day in Lisbon!

3 Thank amcphers
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best day of our Lisbon trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My Mum and I were in Lisbon for a few days and having never surfed before and having no experience with water sports we plucked up the courage to book a surf class in a moment of madness. We were both quite apprehensive before the class and my Mum in particular was worried she wouldn't be able for it. All of those fears disappeared once we met Rui, He was an excellent teacher, encouraging, passionate about surfing and incredibly patient. The day surpassed all expectations and what was initially included in our trip as an after-thought ended up being the best day of our holiday by far. I would thoroughly recommend Rui's Epic Surf School to anyone open to experiencing new things and even to those who would usually shy away from new adventures! You won't regret it!

2 Thank LisaR_Ireland_12
Belfast, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great lesson and great instructor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Booking was no problem as it was very last minute, literally the night before, I think I was lucky as it is off season. Surf lesson was awesome. Rui took it nice and easy, knew my strengths and weaknesses, nice hands on approach without getting too involved. Had all the correct equipment, wet suit was perfect size. Picked me up and left me off no problems. Honestly no complaints, if back in Lisbon will definitely do it again

2 Thank tommymcg16