“simply perfect little budgethotel, great value for your money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residencia Alicante

Residencia Alicante
Ranked #191 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Antwerp, Belgium
“simply perfect little budgethotel, great value for your money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

After going (too often...) to London it was time for me to change my horizons. So I decided to go on a citytrip to Lisboa.
The best offer in my travelbrochure was 'Residencia Alicante' so I just picked this hotel, hit or miss ....
Well, it was a hit! By all means.
It's not a fancy hotel, no ''chichi" as the french say. But what I got for my money was almost perfect.
Everything worked!! The airco? Perfect!
The TV? Lots of channels (among others BBC-Entertainment and a movie channel).
The bathroom? Renewed!
The breakfast? Each day fresh fruit cocktail, scrambled eggs, saucisses!
The staff? Very nice, although just one of the employees (Pedro) speaks fluently English. I guess the hotel focuses more on a Portuguese and Spanish clientele. But, everybody was extremely helpful and hearty!
I'm sure that if you look for the same quality in, let's say, London you would have to pay a lot more!
The only minus is that the hotel is quite far from the center of the town. There's a metrostation two steps from the door ('Picoas' on the linha 'Amarela', take the exit Rua Andrade Corvo, just walk down the street and it's the first hotel on the corner of the Avenida Duque de Loulé, couldn't be more easy), but if you wanna enjoy the nightlife in Lisboa you'll have to walk a long way to get back to the hotel or order a taxi (they aren't expensive at all, by the way).
I had a lovely time in Lisboa. It's the perfect city for a citytrip. Whatever you're looking for, they have it.
Culture an Art? There are beautiful museums ('Gulbekian', the wonderful 'fadomuseum'...), really amazing historical sites, convents and churches and don't miss Sintra. It's one of the most enchanting places I've ever seen. Not at all a 'tourist trap'!
If you like zoos, parks and aquariums than Lisboa is a must' .
The cityzoo is one of the best I have ever visited (splendid exhibits for tigers, antilopes and most of all gorillas, chimpanzees, orang utans and gibbons). They have a lot of amazing animals (giant anteaters, koala's, komodo dragons) all kept in the best conditions.
The Lisboa aquarium is breathtaking and don't miss to visit the lovely seaotters, Eusebio and Amalia (and offspring).
The parks are all immense and splendid (some have huge greenhouses, like the Parque Eduardo VII).
Shopping ... name it, they have it. Some shopping malls (El Corte Inglès for example) are as 'chique' as anywhere else (and, helas, as expensive also).
The Metro is very easy to use and everything is well indicated.
But the main attraction is the city and the locals. They are so nice and in despite of the crisis very agreeable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank londonlover68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Liege, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed five days and four nights late March 2008 in Residencia Alicante in Lisbon. What we disliked about the room we had (308) was that it was very small and smelled of cigarette smoke (apparently the people who occupied the room before us were heavy smokers). We couldn't get rid of the smell no matter how often we tried to air the room during the day. There is no way you can air the room at night, the noise of the street traffic being what it is (two or three busy streets intersect there) and the traffic noise could barely be shut out by the inefficient shutters and single-glazed windows. My grateful thanks to the inventor of earplugs. Another bad point (maybe I shall become famous for inventing the noseplug!): the stench of sewage in the very small bathroom was at times unbearable. No wonder: the loo is not even fixed to the bathroom floor! I also discovered that one foot of the bed was missing, and one corner of the bed rested on a few wooden blocks. But I shall finish on a more positive note: the location of the hotel is fine, the bus (number 22) from the airport stops just a few meters from the hotel. There is a metro station a few hundred meters away (Picoas), so the tourist places are within easy reach. The breakfast buffet was ok, the rolls very fresh, the fruit salad delicious, the choice, though limited, adequate for the hotel category. However, I have to warn future clients: do not attempt to drink the juices offered; they are, to my taste at least, undrinkable. Has the hotel manager ever tried them? Does s/he even know that Portugal has orange trees, and that oranges can be squeezed?

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room/bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed two nights in Residencia Alicante in late Feb. 2008 for a conference. I was not expecting a high-class hotel but this was not a nice experience.

1- The room and bathroom were ok clean but the bathroom stinked terribly all the time i stayed. Besides there were not hot water the second morning and the water going out was brown. Accidents may happen but that was not very pleasant.

2- My room was opening on the street and the traffic noise was pretty loud the whole night, even with window and shutter close. I am not very sensitive to this but if you are, make your point when you are booking!

3- The whole place looked pretty crampy and would have needed a good renovation. I felt like i stayed in my grandma's attic with the same mouldy/dusty smell all over.

4- No internet. Ok this is not so important but they actually state they have internet connection in rooms. The attendant discouraged me of buying it as she said it was "bad and very expensive".

5- Staff overall helpful and nice. They spoke English and were really trying to help if you needed.

6- Breakfast was really not good. Orange juice was made out of some powder stuff (hello! we are in Portugal where orange trees are just growing all over the place), the choice was poor, tasteless and absolutly not inviting.

7- As a female single traveller i found it a bit disturbing to meet all the time the same group of men hanging around and inside the hotel. I am not sure who they were, they did not look like working there, they were just hanging around, joking with the staff and smoking cigarettes all day long. They were not threatening but it did not make me feel comfortable to run into them each time i was going out from my room.

All together i really did not enjoy my stay in Residencia Alicante. I had a special conference price (42e per night) so i could not complain for the value but i would definitely not stay there again. I have been in youth hostels who charge double less than this and it was a much nicer experience.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Bathroom, room, breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

we stayed in Residencia Alicante two times in 2006.
It's the best recomandation :-).
Hotel is situated near to the metro station and not so far from the city centre. Rooms are not very big but really clean, breakfest is good and testy. Specially the personel is very helpful, offer informations about city.
We left dvd's in hotel and they sent it us in two days.
So enjoy your time in Lisbon
Ela i Zbyszek