“A great position is all you get”
Review of Hotel LX Rossio

Hotel LX Rossio
Ranked #201 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

PROS: Great position, the best possible to visit the city.
Cheap for being so central.
Reception 24h.

CONS: old building, extremely old furniture, carpet and bathroom (with semi-broken wc cover).
The room smells of smoke; old and dust, even if you leave the window opened for days.
We asked for a double bed and we got 2 single beds.
The worst part is that the room and bathroom are quite dirty: I found hair in the tub and on the pillow, coffee traces on the cover and the old carpet is dusty.

4  Thank scoprendoilmondo

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place was just OK. Location was excellent but that was about all it had going for it. Internet not available in any of the rooms so had to be used in the bar/breakfast area. This area was dominated by ripped brown vinyl and slumping chairs. Poor lighting. Breakfast was two bread rolls and tea or coffee.The beds were hard. Bathrooms ancient. Staff were mostly ok but one day my friend and I bought through this place a hop on hop off bus ticket each. We were given a voucher for two people but staff wrote the wrong amount on it and the bus company would not accept it. It was many days of asking before we got our money refunded. Not at all good. Buy directly from the suppliers, not this boarding house.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my girlfriend for 4 nights during my first trip to Lisbon in August 2013, and I can recommend this hotel to everybody who wants:

- a cheap hotel;
- in perfect location;
- with clean rooms; and
- with very pleasant employees.

The hotel is not the newest one, and the interior looks a little bit old, so do not expect to find fashion furniture or the newest bathroom, but I liked it very much. It is something special, and not like all the other "plain vanilla" hotels I have been in the past.

The only negative point (and therefor just 4 stars) is that you may hear some noise from the streets around in the evening...but this is normal for a hotel located in this part of the city.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peee T
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

First of all I would recommend you read "Annieodublin's" post 15 nov 2012 - says it all. Getting from the airport by aerobus couldn't be easier as the stop is just outside the airport exit and a little to the right. Get off at Rossio square and it's a less than 5 minute walk to Insulana. The hotel, although a little old, is very clean and tidy. The staff are very friendly. The breakfast may not be the most we've had but having read trip adviser we knew what to expect. For us it was more than adequate and the coffee was excellent. Our only negative was the bed which was comfortable but creaked loudly at the least movement. Overall we were very happy with our stay and would have no problem recommending Insulana

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank IanStewart1946
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The location, staff and price can't be beat. Sure, it could use a major facelift (the rooms have very dated furniture, a bit of a musty smell (just open the windows), and felt I needed to wear slippers on the floor). The common area is dreadful with leatherette pieces and velvet wallpaper. That is all I say for the negative. Afterall, who stays in a hotel, when there's so much to see and do in Lisbon!

The positive - location! Read Annie from Dublin's instructions to reach the hotel via areobus. I had a heavy suitcase, and managed to find it perfectly (maybe 3-4 blocks). The hotel is located above a bridal shop. Immediately, I was greeted warmly, and the staff knew my name (sorry, I can't recall all staff names!), and was provided with maps and insights on what to do.

The hotel is just off Rossio, and the main pedistrian street, so, you're only a few minutes to the river or square - and about a 10 minute walk to Alfama. And, 7-8 minute walk to the Hard Rock where the day tours meet.

Just turning left leaving the hotel, you'll find a quiet pedestian street full of restaurants. All vying for business. Ate at 3 of them during my stay - and quite reasonable and good food with enormous portions (8-9 euros for fish, 4 euros for wine). Watch out if servers bring you bread and olives, as you'll be charged for this.

Breakfast at the hotel is simple - dark, strong coffee, one very large roll and one sweet roll - simple, but enough to get you through.

WiFi in the common area is a plus, and safes are available.

As a single, female traveller (and on a budget), the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank whereshouldilive
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Location is pretty much unbeatable - few mins walk to Baixa/Chiado metro station so both Bairro Alto and Old Town are literally minutes away. The reasonable price of a room also makes this a good choice for Lisbon. But the hotel itself is old and not extremely well kept; water in the shower only warm which was fine in May but could be a problem in winter time; TV small and remote not working and breakfast only a coffee and bread/jam/butter. If you are aware of and willing to put up with some of these deficiencies (as we did), this might well work for its location and price. Lisbon is absolutely beautiful btw and it was a great plus being able to walk everywhere and not break the bank

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've read reviews about this place that put down many aspects of it but honestly, given what we were expecting, I was really surprised. Is it a modern, sleek hotel that caters to your every whim? Absolutely not. But it was clean and comfortable and ideally situated. They must read their reviews because some of the things that I'd read (about old mattresses and grungy shower heads) have been replaced with new ones. We stayed in two rooms (one right above the other) since we had an extra day in Lisbon at the end of our trip. The rooms are small but have just enough space for a couple. With the window open the room filled with fantastic fresh air (and street noise, from the thoughtless restaurant employees on the street below who hoot and holler late at night; A white noise app on the iPhone and a couple of nights of intense rain took care of that.)

People have put down breakfast but honestly, who cares? Skip the stale rolls (save your appetite for pastels de nata at Lisbon's many great cafes) and just enjoy the solid coffee to get going. The WiFi signal is pretty weak in the rooms, it's true, but you can sit in the lobby or in the chairs out in the stairwell if you need a strong signal for a few minutes to look something up.

The staff is pretty friendly. I mean, not overflowing with exuberance, but no one in Lisbon seems to be these days. They helped us when we needed it. The check in is on the 2nd floor (3rd floor for Americans, with the ground floor not counting) but that's fine. A little extra exercise after all those pastries isn't the worst thing.

If we're back in Lisbon I would gladly stay at Insulana again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple