“Truly a gem.”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Principe Real
Description: Small restaurant dedicated to the Portuguese cuisine with careful choice of snacks, wines and delicatessen
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If I lived close to Cantinho Lusitano I would be a regular diner-- at least once a week! This is a little restaurant, off the tourist path. My daughter and I enjoyed about 5 different tapas and each one was outstanding -- hard to pick a favorite. The flavors of each tapa was excellent. It is said that cooking is a labor of love and that was evident in every forkful of food that I enjoyed. We lingered after our meal and ended up being the last in the restaurant -- we enjoyed talking to the owner/chef and I believe his wife who is also the server. Very, very charming couple. The food I enjoyed at Cantinho Lusitano was the best I had during the 10 days in Portugal (Lisbon, Sintra and Porto). I wish this young couple much success. I truly regret they aren't located close to where I live.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation via email for a dinner on my birthday. Quickly got the confirmation after 1 hour. The experience was perfect. The food, the ambience and the people, everything was so nice. I definitely recommend the goat chesse with rosemarry and honey. The stuffed mushroom was very good too. Thank the chef and the waitress for a memorable dinner in Lisboa.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having missed out on Friday evening because the restaurant was fully booked, we booked ahead for Saturday evening and were glad that we did. It is a lovely cosy restaurant, seating about 16. The menu and tapas sharing concept was explained to us by the very friendly and helpful waitress, and the advice was to choose 5 dishes for the three of us to share. Being greedy we chose 6 dishes, the goats cheese honey and rosemary was delicious, following this with chorizo in a moscatel glaze, codfish with rice, pork stew, a lovely broad bean salad, then finished of with a delicious beef dish.

We were going to have a slice of lemon tart each, but the lovely waitress suggested sharing two to begin with - good suggestion - more than enough, but absolutely delicious!

A really lovely way to try traditional Portuguese tapas. Out of the tourist area, but worth hunting out. We had walked down the road during the day and failed to find it behind its shutters, don't be put off, ring or email and book a table, it becomes alive at night and is worth the search!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

we ate here on a wednesday night, booked a table via email, all very easy. our bill came to 45 euros, which included 5 tapas dishes (the waitress recommended 3-4 for 2 of us, we went for 5 and were close to bursting point after dessert aswell!), dessert and a bottle of dry white wine. amazing value, and the food is simply delicious. highly recommended!

if you are visiting by metro, the nearest stop is Rato, then it is a 15 min walk on a simple route with only two turns. it's bang in the middle of a residential area, infact the place itself is kind of like a converted front room, which makes it even more likeable and a great atmosphere. there are only 20 seats available, so booking is recommended.

it was our favourite meal of the whole stay, and for the price - you'll do well to find better.

1  Thank John J
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wonderful small and cosy restaurant with delicious tapas-like food, all fresh and very tasty, we could hardly choose! Most friendly owners! Reservation is recommended, do try the tarte de limao for desert, mmm!