“Great Staff”

Ranked #155 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Sandymount, Ireland
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed at Jeronimos 8 with friends while at a festival. The staff were very approachable, friendly and helpful and the location was perfect with easy access to taxis etc. The food was not to my tastes but it was of a decent quality. The lobby was very modern and well designed, the rooms were decent. The only real complaint I would have is that the shower was not great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ben T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

M and I found the front desk personel to be the best in terms of
professionalism and helpfulness for a quick tour of Lisbon. The
breakfast (included) was excellent even though one attendant
was a bit ´sour´. The room and lobby were contemporary and
we were comfortable. The carpet in the halls was a bit worn but
it didn´t change our rating. Hop on bus or electric trolley and
you are in city center in 10 minutes. Excellent Value.
Two Hot Olives from Orlando

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Christy D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

The hotel was perfect from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The location is excellent, the staff is friendly and helpful, the breakfast is great, and it's overall a great value. This is where I will stay for any future visits to Lisbon. As for the details:

Due to our flight time we arrived at the hotel around 11am, and when we asked to store our bags until check-in they instead offered us a room right away. The hotel looks very nice/clean but the room was even better than expected thanks to a private patio. There was also very little if any noise and the air conditioner worked perfectly.

The hotel is very well located (as multiple other reviews mention). We arrived by public transit (subway from Airport to Rossio and bus from Rossio to Belem) and the bus stop is right outside the Jeronimos Monastery, which is right around the corner from the hotel. There are lots of other sights all within walking distance, including a nice park where it's common to sit and eat some pasteis de belem (pastel de nata) from the original bakery only a block away. The convenient public transit also allowed us to take a bus or tram to/from downtown Lisbon when desired, or to transfer to the train at Rossio for a day trip to Sintra. Overall, I'm very glad to have stayed in Belem instead of downtown Lisbon.

The hotel breakfast buffet is one of the best I've encountered especially taking into account it is included with the room. In addition to the fresh pasteis de belem that are picked up each morning, there is a great selection of hot/cold foods: scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, sliced meats, cheeses, fruit, jams, pastries, breads, etc. It's a great way to start each day of seeing the nearby sights. One note, though, is that the pasteis de belem bakery only opens at 8am and you're not going to find them at breakfast before that. The staff also wisely puts them out a few at a time so that a few greedy guests can't scoop them all up. If there aren't any pasteis de belem pastries when you first arrive I recommend picking a seat where you can see the empty tray and just wait for them to appear.

We even had a positive experience when leaving the hotel. The night before we asked the front desk to arrange a taxi to the airport, which they can do with a 20 euro flat rate, and the taxi was waiting for us at 8am the next morning. Unfortunately for us, because the pasteis de belem bakery only opens at 8am we were unable to have any during breakfast. However, as we were walking out of the hotel we saw a hotel staff member entering with bags from the pasteis de belem bakery. The man at the front desk must have seen my wife eyeing the bag as we left because moments later he actually ran out to the taxi with two pastries for us!

I don't always prioritize much more in hotels beyond a clean/quiet place to sleep, but I definitely appreciate the high quality of Jeronimos 8.

Room Tip: Room 104 has a decent-sized patio but the rooms on either side
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DirkStrongguy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was housed here by the University I was giving a workshop at and was very pleased with the elegant simplicity of the hotel, the service, and the amazing location. My room was ample and opened to a sunny terrace with two lounge chairs and had floor to ceiling glass doors and a rich dark brown and white decor with double bed. The included breakfast buffet had fresh scrambled eggs, excellent coffee and milk, and a variety of fresh cut fruit (watermelon, oranges, honey dew, pine apple), and of course the warm Pasteis de Belem they pick up every morning from the famous bakery around the corner (which were truly amazing--and I don't have a sweet tooth with rich warm custard and pastry that crackles into its many delicate layers). The location was one of the best features. When not working, it was possible to walk over to the Discover's monument, the Torre de Belem, the Jeronimos Monastery right across the street, a stretch of great restaurants (better than the well-reviewed restaurants I went to in the center of Lisbon), as well as quick walk to the tram or bus to get into the center of Lisbon and the train to whisk you to the beaches of Estoril and Cascais. Also as pleasant surprise was that we were a few blocks from the local team's soccer stadium so last night we walked five minutes to see Sporting play the local team. The staff were invariably helpful and warm.

Room Tip: We liked having a room on the back side of the hotel so we had our own terrace. The front has views...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Michele-Myers
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at the Jeronimos 8 for three nights and I loved this hotel, as a matter of fact, there are so many things I liked about it I don't know where to begin this review. In a nutshell it has an incredibly friendly and helpful staff, it is in a great location and it offers a full hot breakfast. The rooms are small but modern and very comfortable. I would recommend it and would definitely stay here again. The only things I didn't like about it were the lack a full length mirror, the bathroom floor gets wet when you shower and the free WiFi is unsecured. Minor problems. If you would like more detailed information please continue reading.

In an effort to provide full disclosure It is located in the Belem section of Lisbon right across the street from the Museu de Arqueologia (Archaeology Museum), which is one of the top sites to visit in Lisbon. The name is a bit misleading since it doesn't mention the beautiful church and monastery that are part of the structure, and these are both worth seeing. Also close to the hotel is a Starbucks (for those who can't live without it) and the famous bakery shop, Pastis (or Patis) de Belem. The hotel provides their delicious little custard pastry at breakfast but there are many more options at the crowded bakery itself. Other sites within walking distance of the hotel are the Museum of Modern Art (Warhol, Pollack, Miro and many others), the Tower of Belem, The Maritime Museum, the Museum of Coaches (vehicles, not sports) and the public gardens. The streetcar or bus that can take you to Baixo Chiado is one block away and the ride to the center of the old town is about 10 minutes (the 728 bus is a bit faster than the 15 streetcar).

The staff provides a level of service I would expect at a much more expensive property. We drove from Southern Portugal to Lisbon and arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 a.m. Since we had to return our rental car to the airport we wanted to see if we could check-in early. Fortunately, one of our two rooms was ready so they let us check-in before noon so we could leave our bags. The staff offered great suggestions for restaurants, sites to see, how to use the public transportation system, which transit pass would be best for us, etc. They could not have been nicer or more informative. Their service is what really made the stay here special.

The rooms are modern but small. I had a standard room with an even smaller balcony but it allowed in a lot of light and fresh air. The bed was comfortable with soft linens and nice wall-mounted lights for reading. My friends were in a deluxe room and they had a chair and a closet that was about twice the size of mine. Both rooms came with a desk and mini bar that we were able to store items in and not be charged (unlike my recent stay in a Vegas hotel). There was also a small safe in the closet.

The bathroom was new, modern and large with large absorbent towels. As I mentioned above the floor would get wet when I took a shower because they had a glass enclosure that only covered about 3/4ths of the length of the tub and part of that enclosure was the "door." Water would run down the door and onto the floor because it didn't line up with the tub. I had to dry the floor after every shower. It would have been nice if the vessel sink was a bit smaller to allow for more counter space but at least there was an open shelf under the sink. The bathroom in the deluxe room had about three feet of counter space compared to my four inches. Also, a hook on the wall to hang the hand towel would have been better than using the door knob to hang it on. There was also a full sized tub and enough of a surround that I was able to sit on it and soak my feet after a day of sightseeing.

Finally, a full length mirror would be nice. I mentioned it to the desk clerk when I checked out and he said that others had made the same comment so hopefully they would be added in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a bit larger so two people might find it more comfortable than a standard room, esp...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank OnlyJoe
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I moved over to this hotel from downtown Lisbon because I wanted to be in a neighborhood I could walk easily in and sightsee without too much stress. This hotel fits the bill for that: it is near five museums, multiple monuments, a park, and a row of restaurants, as well as the river where there are some fancy bars with open air patios. The roads near the river are very wide and walkable, good for exercise. The hotel itself is pretty plain but nice, with modern decor in the lobby and friendly staff. It is in a nice old building that has been rehabbed to look modern inside. There is a wine bar with snacks downstairs. All in all a very convenient place to stay if you want to be in Belem.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Veronica S
WC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

The hotel is in a nice quiet location. The staff at the reception desk went out of their way to help and advice us, all in perfect English. Breakfast was great with a wide choice of everything we like for breakfast. Of course the fresh pasteis de Belem were highly appreciated! Also service here was very good. The room is okay although the carpet was stained. The beds were very good, the bathroom a bit small but clean and the shower worked really well. We woke up almost every night by the screaming of the seagulls, as we preferred to sleep with open windows. The outside sitting area looked nicer on the website than it actually was. But all in all a hotel we would certainly book again if we would stay in Lisbon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TWKNL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Palacio do Governador
Casa Amarela Belem
#138 of 416 in Lisbon
Famous Crows Hostel
#270 of 638 in Lisbon District

Been to Jeronimos 8? Share your experiences!