“Used a base for days out”

Lisbon Marriott Hotel
Ranked #112 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Hampshire
“Used a base for days out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business last year (2013) and had a great time even though it was for work. I came back Juky 2014 with my wife for 10 days and overall the hotel is fine. Clean, polite attentive staff, comfortable rooms etc. Our room included breakfast which lasted us most of the day. Well worth doing this. Excellent choices of different types of breakfast foods.

We had an air con leak one night in the room which was attended to within 10 mins.

My only criticism is the boring menu in the restaurant. It is the same as one year ago and very limited. My wife is vegetarian and whilst there were things she could eat there was little choice.

They did offer a BBQ each night which was quite good. We found it better (and cheaper!) to get a taxi into Lisbon and eat out. It's only a 10 min €6 trip into the centre. Taxis are easy and not that expensive here.

Overall a perfectly safe clean and comfortable hotel nicely just out of the city. Pool area nice to relax in too.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrCfromHampshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to the airport and really a short distance to any place in the city.
The rooms are good but certainly require renovation in the near future.
The hotel staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel restaurant was good.
In summary, this is not a hotel that I will remember but would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank GlobalHawke
Mariana G, Guest Relations Manager at Lisbon Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your email to Trip Advisor

We were very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We are having room redecoration's, so in this way we can provide our guests the most memorable stay in our hotel.

La Jolla, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

The only reason they got three stars was the Concierge service was excellent and I would have provided an excellent rating because of the superb service, but the maid service was horrible.

I had transferred from the Marriott at Praia D'El Ray (near to Obidos) and I arrived at the hotel in Lisbon soon after 1pm, and my room was available for early check-in which I greatly appreciated. As a Marriott gold member I was able to have breakfast in the lounge each morning but was told for Sunday it was 7am-11am, and every other day of my stay it was 6.30am-10.30am. The front desk staff was helpful and courteous. I was assigned room 1404 - smallish room but great balcony that enabled me to have fresh air in the room, but the noise from the freeway meant that it was noisy all the time, so could not sleep with the door open.

It was Saturday afternoon, and I went downstairs and the Concierge helped me with maps and suggestions and directions. He also did this on Sunday morning for me - extremely helpful. I caught a taxi to the start of the view to walking downtown and ended up purchasing a Lisboa card for three days - great value. Free or discounted entry to museums, and free rides on all transport - Metro, electric vehicles. Caught the 12E, 15E and 28E - so got to see all off the city via the electric vehicles, as well as a great walking city. The Metro Stop for the hotel is the Zoo stop - from the hotel - left out the front door, left into the street, across the bridge, turn left at the end of the bridge, keep walking down the hill, and then take the first street on the right (this is the zoo) and the Metro entrance is down the stairs opposite the entry to the zoo. Great location.

The breakfast is fine in the lounge, and it was not until my last day I found out I could ask for a large bottle of water to take back to my room. There was a bottle on the day I arrived but as I go through a litre every day, wish I had known I could get the water from the lounge.

There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room - bit disappointing.

The television channels were a great disappointment after the great range of BBC channels at their sister hotel. The commonwealth games were on and I was unable to watch them.

My first breakfast in the lounge (Sunday morning) I turned up at 10.40am and requested some fresh orange juice to be told breakfast had finished at 10.30am. I said, no I was told that on Sunday morning it finished at 11am - the attendant said he would get me some juice but breakfast was closed. Another guest informed him that he had been told the same thing at check-in. So there needs to be better communication on that issue. It was not until my last night that I was there for the happy hour in the lounge and the red wine and appetizers were very, very good, as was the service from Joachim.

So the maid issue - I started off with four towels in my room, and each day there was one less so that by the last morning I had no clean towels. The fresh face washers and handtowels were left in a heap on the bathroom bench and the pillows from the bed were left on the top of the lounge chair. Now obviously I can fold towels myself and put pillows on a bed but at the price I was paying I did not get the quality of maid service that I would have expected. I wanted to have room service one night and know there had been a room service menu when i first arrived in the room, but it was no where to be found (and I looked in every draw!). So did not order any room service.

And the room was very nice with a king size bed, but on the Monday morning (and again on the Tuesday morning) it was obvious there was construction going on in the room above me - it started at around 8am, and as I was on holiday I did not appreciate the noise at all.

So the room left much to be desired between the freeway traffic noise, construction in the room(s) above me and the lack of servicing of the room.

With that said, the hotel is in a good location, and the concierge service was exceptional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank AussieNarelle
Dear guest

We thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.

We are truly sorry that it didn't went well, specially with the noises from the highway and the reconstruction that we are having.

Hope to welcome you once more in the future so we can provide you the Marriott outstanding service.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was the first lag of a 3 country visit. We found the room clean and tastefully decorated. We had two queen sized beds and a good sized bathroom.
The staff was friendly. There was an enjoyable breakfast buffet available.
The location of the hotel allowed us to explore much of Lisbon on foot. There was a park nearby and lots of restaurants to try.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The room was ok but it was a bit smoky, being a smoking room - there were only twin non smoking rooms otherwise.
The lobby was always overrun with people and loads of noisy kids.
The burger I ordered well done was very undercooked so I sent it back and it was returned within 2 minutes cooked but it still had the same cheese and bacon attached and had just been put in a microwave!
The breakfast was terrible, no cold cabinets so no cheese, no fruit (apart from bananas), no yogurt. No idea what the scrambled egg was made from but it was disgusting and inedible. Massive queue for the omelette/scrambled eggs counter.
The summer BBQ food looked good though but there was no chicken left..
I do not recommend you stay here

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hummer_m
Mariana G, Guest Relations Manager at Lisbon Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest

We thank you for bringing to our attention the restaurant food. We take your feedback very serious and we will forward your feedback to our Restaurant Manager to look closely into this matter.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in April 14 with a friend. We used it as a base to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas. It is a very comfortable hotel. We had a twin room which consisted of two queen sized beds, good sized bathroom and a balcony. Room was very pleasant, very comfortable beds, quiet air con and plenty of storage. It was also very clean. The bathroom was fine, slightly outdated but fine.
The breakfast was the real star of the show in this hotel!! We received free breakfast as part of our deal and it was amazing!! Excellent omelette station and large variety of hot food. Lovely fresh fruit and breads. We were very impressed with it, filled us up for the day!
The one complaint I would have and the reason I didn't give 5 stars was the wifi. There is free wifi in the lobby but in this day and age wifi really should be available throughout the hotel free of charge in a 4 star hotel.
Other than that, the staff were very helpful and friendly. The location was good, we both walked to the city centre and also got taxis (there is always plenty parked outside and it's approx €5-€8 into the city centre)
I would return to this hotel and would recommend it in the future.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bluetipp
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This was our forth visit to the Lisbon Marriott and it is always a pleasure to be a guest there: good service and delicious food. The hotel is quite large with 18 floors and there are always friendly guests hanging out in the lobby (using the free wifi). The rooms are large and the walls very sound proof. The pillows are super soft and the beds very comfortable. The hotel's exterior doesn't reflect the inside.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family