“Holiday Inn Continental Lisbon”

Holiday Inn Lisbon - Continental
Ranked #134 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We reserved a room at this hotel only because we get priority club points, and it also fulfilled two p.c. promotions, giving us a lot of extra points.
I was very hesitant, since we always insist on staying in a city center, as we like to eat dinner and walk around til late, and like to be able to walk right back to our hotel.
We were pleasantly surprised, as check in was quick and the young man (Jose, I believe) was pleasant, friendly and helpful.
The price couldn't be better, very inexpensive for Europe, and the area wasn't bad at all.
Granted it wasn't in the center, but neither was it a poor, remote area.
There was a supermarket nearby, where we shopped.
There was also a wonderful Chinese buffet nearby and after being at the trade show, eating in town, and being out, we relaxed there.
The hotel was quite nice.
The highlight was that after two nights, they moved us to an upgraded room because of platinum and what a room! Large bedroom, hall with fridge, large bathroom and another room with tv, sofa, table and chairs, and coffee, etc. Plenty of space for our luggage so it wasnt cluttering the floor. We didn't want to leave!
The beds were so comfortable, and we had everything we needed.
A 5 minute walk brought us to the bus where we hopped on a 10 minute ride right into the center.
We felt very safe doing this even late at night as the area had many things still open and plenty of people walking around at all hours.
No sweat at all, and the walk was nice. We did this many times, and even early in the morning, in order to catch tours on two different days.
Inside Lisbon will also pick you up at H.I.C. for their day tours, and drop you back.

Room Tip: If you're platinum, ask for an upgrade. They were very good on following through with their pro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank littledebnewyork

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Nicely appointed four star hotel which is located close to the airport and public transport but a very long walk from the city centre. The rooms were exceptionally clean and because the floors are made from hard wood, any allergy sufferers may find this a great solution to questionable carpet. Room check in and out was a quick and painless and the reception desk staff were always available to set-up tickets for tour buses to out of city. Tour buses pick up at hotel front. If you're into Bull fights (I'm not) then the hotel is across the road from Lisbon's major arena.
Hotel bar was modern, comfortable and average prices.
If you are comfortable with traveling on the subway/buses then getting downtown is very simple and bus # 727 will take you from near the hotel all the way to Belem (a must) and back for 3.50 euros. A nearby restaurant to the hotel, Valbom, was terrific value and quality (see restaurant review)

Room Tip: As this hotel structure is built in an arc, the outside rooms ending in an even number are larger th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheIslandCritic
Reviewed November 1, 2012

i stayed at this hotel 30´th october 2012 the rooms could not fault, staff and service excellent the only down side was the meals they need to improve and bring up to the hotel standards i rate the evening meal poor and bland cleanliness excellent i would stay there again but eat out.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good no balconies what i could see
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank marvin17
Lisbon-Continental, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lisbon - Continental, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Marvin,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.
I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided and I am pleased that you have noticed the cleanliness of our rooms.
I would like to apologize for the meal insatisfaction. I assure you that it will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate department.
We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.
kind regards

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The main reason that make me not recomend the hotel is something that might be related not only to this hotel, but others from Holiday inn, so be aware. Eventhough I am a priority member, I had made the reservation almost six months in advance and I had received an email a week before my stay confirming the reservation, on the evening before I received an email from the hotel saying that my reservation could be canceled because they were not able to charge my card. Of course they couldn´t because in six months, my card has changed its number. Question: why they tried to to that just in the last moment? And what if I were in a flight and could not read the email? Answer: Arrive in Lisbon without any hotel! Big problem!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Francisco M

Dear Francisco,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay.
I am sorry your stay was negatively affected by our reservation issue. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.
If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Had a 3 day stay. Location a little out of the city centre but not a problem as a metro station is less than 5 minutes walk. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Room spacious and comfortable. The free wifi was appreciated. Breakfast was fine - typical for a Holiday Inn but top marks to the very friendly Restaurant Manager for his personal service standards. One criticism - although the bar was open in the afternoon we shouldn't have had to ask reception staff twice to find the missing bar staff to be served.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter D

Dear Peter
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay.
We are delighted to read you found the room confortable.Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided.
Please accept my sincere apology for the unusual conditions in the Bar service.

If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact us

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We arrived in the evening for a 2 day,3 night quick get away. The location is not the best, but getting to the city center by taxi was fast, and quite affordable. less than 7euro & 10 min. ride waiting right outside. Their was a problem with our booking but the staff went out of their way to accomodate us. Breakfast buffet was great but a bit $$. Wi-fi worked great and tv stations were perfect. Everything was clean and neat throughout. We booked guided tours to see as much as possible in 2 days time. Leaving in the am and returning in late pm, we ended our day with a bottle of wine in the lounge recapping the days activities. If you want to return, from the city center, multiple times a day this is not your place. If leaving, spending the day and returning to peace and quiet, this is your place. Quite good value for the $$ spent on accommodations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cmikulec
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I came to Portugal for a wedding in May 4th 2012 of this year. Arrived - and suprisingly I was allowed to check in very early which I really appreciated as I was dreading sitting in the foyer. Reception staff were pleasant. Location is near the bull ring although I didnt go. I was able to walk for about 2 miles to the shopping centre. The bathroom, shower and toilet were neat and clean. Food in the restaurant was great and service was superb. The Tv channels are great, especially the movie channels which are all free. I didnt use Wifi as I bought 3G Sim cards to use with my Ipad. Cant complain as I just needed a cheap clean bargain to rest my head for the 2-3 days in Portugal, and thats what it turned out to be.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo