“Good but not Great”

Ranked #62 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
West Kingston, Rhode Island
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel itself is nice, although I found the decorations getting a little tired, but still were holding their own for now. I felt the same thing about the rooms, good but not great. I was on a higher floor, and my room did have a nice view. I guess my problem was with the extras. I'm a platinum with Marriott, and only a gold with Sheraton, so maybe my view is a little skewed. I find it ridiculous, like some of the other reviewers said, that you have to pay €12.50 to sit by the pool. Why is there any extra charge to sit by a pool, include it in the rate. They say it's part of using the spa, but when is the pool part of a spa, just Sheraton being greedy, which they do at other hotels of theirs I've stayed at. It's kind of like the ridiculous resort fee they charge at some places. Second, and I guess most of the hotels do this, is the €26 they charge for breakfast. I don't think I've ever eaten €26 worth of food for breakfast, so they probably made about €20 off me for this. You'd be better off going across the street and getting it, and if I had stayed more than one night I probably would have.

I'll go into the positives. The cabs to get around town from the hotel are reasonable, the staff at the hotel was friendly and seemed eager to please, and the pool area was nice once I got in there. I found the gym above average compared to other hotels I've stayed at, and the beds weren't too bad. Also, go to the top floor, there is a fantastic place to get drinks with a great view.

Again, not a bad hotel, but please include stuff in the rate, because otherwise it seems greedy and takes away from an otherwise alright stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ACPereira, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for having stayed with us during your recent visit to Lisbon. The comments you have posted with your detailed views on the hotel and on your stay in general have been duly analysed and discussed with the Executive Team who thank you for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to hosting you again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Its looks nothing from the outside but inside is luxurious and spacious. The rooms are large with modern bathrooms and comfortable beds. It's was very busy all the time. Lots of the airline crew seem to stay here, plus business people and leisure visitors so reception was always busy and the lobby bar was too. A great top floor bar with a view. The surrounding area doesn't have a lot going for it but a 20 minute walk gets you into the old town.

1 Thank Lynne A
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for having selected our hotel for your recent stay in Lisbon. The comments you have posted regarding your stay and the hotel in general have been duly appreciated. Thank you! Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Down as a 5* and compared to the 4* hotels we also stayed at on this holiday , you did get that bit extra. - you pay for it though.

Taxi cost 12 eur from airport, but has a metro right out side (100m away) . For me Lisbon looks much better on foot, and if not too hot it was about a 2 mile walk down to the river.

I disagree with the comment posted immediately before this one,: - Hotel decor was different, but modern and nice, as were the rooms on 17th floor which we also stayed in. My wife has more taste than me and she was impressed. The gym was large and split into 3 areas, but good, i don't skip so maybe the ceilings were a bit low for skipping.

Re comment about charging per person, that is not what we found, we took 2 rooms each with 2 staying and we were not charged on a per head basis

The 12.5 Eur per person charge isnt a secret - for pool and spa , not the gym, but the changing facilities and spa was excellent. It includes a robe!

The pool was in shade due to an adjacent building until noon, but from noon on it was melting. A few plants in pool area would have taken away the concrete impression of the pool.

The top floor is definitely a place to visit and have either a meal , or just some drinks whether a cup of tea or something stronger. View is superb.

staff all excellent

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ACPereira, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for the really nice and positive comments you have posted following your visit to our hotel. We are delighted to hear that both you and your wife have enjoyed your stay, as well as the hotel facilities, services and decor. Your comment about the pool area have been duly noted and will certainly be analyzed and discussed with the Executive Team. Again, thank you so much for your constructive comments. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Jordan
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I selected the Sheraton in Lisbon to avoid all the unpleasant surprises that are typically associated with unknown boutique /local chain hotels. However, the hotel had a few surprises for us nevertheless (which I don't know if they were derived from Portugal's deteriorating economy or other reasons - which I'll mention below).
First, I would like to reassure that the hotel is what you would except from a 5 star hotel (no complains there). Staff was friendly and concierge was also most appreciated in providing directions across the city.
As for other aspects:
- We stayed on the 17th floor. The hotel corridors were dark, gloomy, and looked like the interior of a villain spaceship.. creepy to say the least
- We were not impressed by the lack of "proper" closets. Those were replaced by curtains. Saving on the cost of wood maybe?
- There were no slippers, no shoe care kits, or bathrobes. Extremely weird as far as I'm concerned.
- In a city filled with free public beaches, I wondered why the hotel charged €12.5 per person to access the pool. This should be provided by default to hotel residents.
- Oh, and they charge room rates by the number of persons which I found ridiculous. I booked a standard room with a queen sized bed (no breakfast or internet) online. The rate changed from €140 to €170 the moment my wife handed in her passport during check in. Yup, they charge by the head. Never did I encounter this throughout my trips.
- The gym is a joke. More of a fitness room. They should at least check out the gyms of rival hotels and try to imitate. And the ceiling was super low. Cant skip rope if you wanted to.
- The metro station was a 1 minute walk which was very convenient.
- The hotel itself is not located in a touristic area. Walking to Marquise de Pombal is a 20 minute walk (closest thing to a touristic area).

2 Thank Waminator
Dear Client, Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay in Lisbon and also for the comments you have posted regarding your experience. We are sorry to hear that the decor and design of our rooms and corridors were not to your liking as this quite modern and trendy design is usually quite appreciated by all our visitors and guests. Having said that, tastes differ... Again, many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Exceptional hotel - one of the best of they very many Sheratons I've stayed in worldwide.

Upgraded (as a Platinum guest using suite night awards) to a gorgeous suite on the 24th floor, with a panoramic view over the city. Friendly staff. Good club lounge. Nice drinks lounge on the top floor with great views, and the hotel restaurant is very good too. Nice spa (although the service here needs some work to match the quality of the rest of the hotel).

Location OK - but taxis in Lisbon are so cheap it's easy to get around in comfort.

Very highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for having selected our hotel for your recent stay in Lisbon. We are delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, plus the hotel facilities, the service provided and the magnificent views from our top floors. Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was recently traveling with my sisters for several weeks and our first stop was this hotel. The rooms were very nice, the SPG members amenities were great, including the club room with views and free Internet. We had dinner at the hotel dinning room and the food was very good. My only complaint is that compared to other hotels in the area, this one was pricey. The food, room and services were more expensive than other hotels in the area. Also this is very much an American type hotel and more authentic Portuguese style hotels can be found in the city.. You have to pay to use the pool which I was a bit surprised to find out. Staff treated us quite well and all in all it was a good hotel to start our trip with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GramgramDeb
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 12, 2013

With easy access from the airport and well located in central Lisbon, this was a good choice. Staff was welcoming, knowledgable and friendly as is expected for a five-star hotel. Our room, and especially our bathtub, were large by European standards. Views of the city were very nice from our location on the 24th floor, which was also home to the very well-stocked club. The upscale restaurant on the top floor provided a very pleasant dining experience with a great city view. We did not use the spa, although we toured it and were impressed. Clearly an American hotel and somewhat sterile feeling, this is not the place to stay if you want a charming Lisbon hotel experience. However, it is otherwise a very good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side of the hotel for a view of the river and old city.