The Tsar Hotel was the middle of three options from our travel agent: the first one was cheaper and farer away the last one was more expansive and closer to the center. Although i don’t regret the decision not choosing the more expansive option, i can not recommend this hotel! Here are the pros/cons which lead to my conclusion:
+ Free WiFi: As a matter of fact this was the main reason why i explicitly selected this hotel, since this is imho more important than a luxurious spa!
+ Near the center: The hotel is situated at the Almirante Reis which is one of the main roads in Lisbon. The metro station Anjos is about 5 min. away and the tourist magnet tram #28 almost passes by.
+ Acceptable breakfast: It’s nothing extraordinary special but iirc fulfills the 4* category demands.
+ Modern room design: since I like to enjoy the video on demand on the big screen, the new Sony Bravia TV with HDMI was very useful! Moreover the rooms have a nice bathroom with rain shower
- Noise: Since Lisbon has still its airport in the city, the people seem to be immune against noise. However, this should NOT be expected from the tourists! The noise level in our room reminded me on my younger days when I slept in a tent at a rock festival. Moreover, they seem to have “forgotten” to install noise absorbent windows at the construction and so even a closed window does not help much. Forget this hotel if you’re used to sleep with open windows and fresh air or not used to earplugs.
- Construction errors: Soon after we got into our room we noted that the carpet next to the bed was soaking wet! And we soon found out why too: The shower seemed to be wrongly installed and so water leaked out. We reported this at the reception but evidentially they couldn’t fix the problem during our stay and more or less ignored us.
Another error is the missing wardrobe. Although we had a black large wooden box which resembled a wardrobe, there were no handles to open it which left us with only one (!) rack/shelf for our cloths. Since we only stayed for 3 nights we decided to leave our stuff right in the luggage.
- cleaning efforts: When we returned from one city trip at 2 pm the room was still not tidied up. When we asked at the reception they told us that this can take till 6 pm. Well… that’s not the kind of answer I expected!
- No gym: There used to be a gym in the hotel but it was closed. The adminstration tried to remove the reference in the elevator.
Although the score is a tie, the total impression is still negative. Especially the noise which yield sleepless nights is simply inexcusable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Fitness Center is out of order, it will open soon with a panoramic view of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Otel, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Czar Lisbon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.