“4 night stay”
Review of Hotel Florida

Ranked #115 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the above hotel. We pre-warned the hotel that we would be arriving late on a Saturday night (23:45 hrs). We were allocated a key card for room 317 but when we opened the door we found the room to be occupied already! A bit of embarassment! We were subsequently given a key card for room 323 which was vacant. The room was a twin + a single bed with laminated flooring and 70s furniture. The plus points was that it had tea making facilities. The bathroom was adequate. We had booked a room only but found the buffet breakfast at 11 Euro p/p to be good value as you could eat as much as you wanted. The hotel was located 3 minutes walk from the Blue Metro line station Marques de Pombal and this we found to be very convenient. The taxi from the airport cost us 24.5 Euro at 23.20 hrs on a Saturday night but only 10 Euro to get back at 07:30hrs on a Wednesday morning. The hotel facilities were basic but adequate for waht we wanted, i.e. a place to sleep in Lisbon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NigelVaughan
David C, General Manager at Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking time to review us.

We're sorry for the awkard moment that happened, but glad that it did not influenced the remaining stay.

Hotel Florida

Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I am very impressed with such a quaint hotel that is located in a perfect location. The staff is very courteous, friendly and warm. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. The rooms are perfect. A nice spot for families or for traveling alone. I can't say enough about the staff, i.e. Mr. Machado, Isabel, Bina, Abrantes, Pinto and everyone else on your staff. The breakfast room is very welcoming and again staff was very professional and warm. The front office is one of the best I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Keep up the great work

Room Tip: I have stayed in this hotel many times and I have found that all rooms are very comfortable and a go...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Armando T

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our Hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hotel Florida is a delightful hotel in a delightful city.
We booked a 4 day city break with Easyjet holidays and chose the Florida as it offered a perfect location for the city and was within budget.
We took the Aerobus from the airport to the Marquess de Pombal and found the hotel straight away.
The concierge and reception staff welcomed us and highlighted the places of interest to visit in Lisbon.
We asked for a high floor [7th] and were allocated "The James Bond" room! Each room is named after a famous actor/actress. It is part of the charm of the hotel. The lifts are operated either by Audrey Hepburn or Humphrey Bogart [I wondered where they had retired to.]
The rooms are pleasantly furnished with a decent bath/shower/bidet/basin.
Rooms were tidied daily.
The breakfast room is on the second floor and has a lovely view over Marquess de Pombal and up to the Parque Eduardo VII. The breakfast room staff were very friendly and attentive and ensured that the buffet breakfast was continually "topped up".
Breakfast food was good and consisted of fresh fruits, yogurts,cereals,bacon, eggs, sausage,mushrooms,hams,cheese and a variety of bread. We even had Pasties de Belem and Madiera cake.
One evening we tried the restaurant connected to the hotel called "The Great American Disaster". That was also very good. Although we only had pizza, fresh salad & a glass of wine, it was very enjoyable.
I would certainly come back to this hotel in the future as the location and friendly, helpful staff are brilliant.
I always find if you treat people with respect they in turn treat you with respect.
Lisbon is a great city to discover. Try the Lisbon bike tour that starts from the top of Parque eduardo VII and descends to the waterfront and along to Belem. Andre was a superb guide.
Visit Sintra on the train; you can buy a combined train/bus ticket for 12 euros that takes you from Rossio station to Sintra, then by bus around Sintra and up to the Palaces; and then down by bus to Cascais and then back by train to Lisbon.
Visit Cascais and hire a "Boris bike" for no charge.
Public transport is very reasonable. We took the train across the Tagus to Pradal? and walked up to Christo Rei [Statute of Christ; then walked down to Almada and caught the ferry back to Lisbon. The Portuguese people are very friendly and helpful and are pleased to assist you.

Room Tip: The side streets are quiet but the high floors give you the opportunity to watch the world go by
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WheelPhill
David C, Gerente geral at Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Phill,

Thank you so much for your review.

Our team is delighted with your kind words.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Excellent helpful staff with outstanding location. Busses and subway are only a few hundred meters away
The beds are hard as a rock with hardly any space but the location makes up for it.
Most major attraction are only a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high to reduce street noise...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 2332123ed
David C, General Manager at Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Florida.

Regarding the bedrooms, we have different kinds of bed toppers we could have provided once we knew you were not as comfortable as you could be. You know, regarding bed comforts, we have always different client needs, that's why we're prepared for every one.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel is very simple but you couldn't possibly get one closer to the Metro!! The metro in Lisbon runs every few minutes and will take you anywhere around the city. The hotel room itself was small enough but adequate and clean. The hotel staff were nice and friendly too. We didn't have breakfast included but it was an extra €11 per person each morning which we felt was expensive. The reception had no leaflets or maps of the city in the lobby to look though but when we asked at reception we got a very good map of the city and directions to anywhere we wanted to go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gillian,

Thank you so much for taking time to review us.

It was a pleasure to know that you spent a great time at Hotel Florida.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Florida for work and didn't select it myself. With four stars, I wasn't expecting luxury but at least a high level of service - how wrong I was. The conscierges were rude from the point I checked in: disinterested, arrogant and slow. No one offered to carry my suitcase, they just pointed at the lift. Finding an entirely empty mini bar in the room, I called reception and asked why it was empty. The conscierge wouldn't give me an answer and simply said "call the bar" before literally hanging up on me. I got some water delivered to the room, but in the evening when I got back from work engagements and was dying for a drink/snack, they told me the bar was closed and there was nowhere to get anything. After much persuation, the conscierge gave me some cashew nuts but made a big fuss. I was consistently polite, also on the second evening when the same thing happened and he told me that "the barman will be very angry if he sees this". I said that I wouldn't have to trouble him if they'd just keep their mini bars stocked to which he said I could find a shop nearby (it was 2.30am). The room service menu was dreadful - all Hollywood themed, diner style, to match their ghastly decor and mediocre rooms named after actors as if they were luxury suites at the Ritz - and the restaurant staff didn't speak English and kept acting as if my calling them was a major inconvenience. (This was a recurring attitude with all members of staff.) The waiter who came to my room didn't know how to open a bottle of wine. Finally - and perhaps rudest of all - upon checkout the staff in reception kept speaking Portuguese to one another and looking at me in a manner which left little doubt as to the nature of what they were saying. It was extremely unpleasant and totally uncalled for. All in all the experience left a lot to be desired and set a really bad tone for my visit in Lisbon. Do not stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Mr Dobermann,

We will work on every issue related to service. And we apologize for not giving you the necessary attention we should have given.

We do not agree at all with your considerations about our guestrooms. We're sorry for not having all the answers for your requests.

Once again, for all issues related with service, we deeply apologize.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

As a regular traveller around the world, sometimes hotel rooms appear to be the same so often i have come to discover is that the "hotel staff" can either make or break your stay. I have been at this hotel for five days now and will spend another two nights here, i have run into a number of challenges like wi- fi not working, my eye glasses snapped in two so off i went to speak with Francesco at the front desk....he will assist with any issue instantly...he even found a replacement reading glasses for me to use for a day until i could purchase a replacement. He has assisted with Fado recommendations, making dinner reservations, calling taxis, changing my US dollars (even though i dont think it was their policy). I really do feel that Francesco has made my stay at this hotel a wonderful experience and i would highly recommend this clean hotel. The management can work on getting some other employees to adopt this attitude as i am lucky to get a "good morning" from anyone at the breakfast restaurant. But overall, the location, cleanliness anf Francesco make this all a worthwhile experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joycevancouver
David C, General Manager at Hotel Florida, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Joyce,

On behalf of the team, we deeply thank you for your review.

Francisco was congratulated for being such a nice professional.

We hope to see you soon.