“Real homestyle Portuguese tapas in relaxing, friendly atmosphere”
Review of Tasca Urso

Tasca Urso
Ranked #1,223 of 4,410 Restaurants in Lisbon
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Principe Real
Description: Portuguese gastronomy, with a welcomebar, a nonsmokers room, the memories room (smokers room), the white room, and the wonderful garden! Sometimes, live music!
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Four of us went for dinner and shared four dishes and the house wine. Each dish was enough for us to each have a good portion, and the four dishes and wine were just the right amount for dinner. The menu has a good selection of these dishes to share, but there are only a few that are listed as dishes for one person. Each dish was very well-prepared and tasty. The service was excellent: very helpful, friendly and efficient. The atmosphere was warm and comfortable; like sitting in a Portuguese home. And the prices are excellent; it cost 60 Euros for the four of us. The other people in the restaurant were mostly older Portuguese, rather than tourists. Overall, I strongly recommend this for a very good Portuguese dinner rather than the same menu and atmosphere found in too many restaurants catering to tourists.

2  Thank Toron2nians

Reviewed February 10, 2013

New to living in Lisbon, we had trouble finding a place to dine on new year's eve. Our discovery of Tasca Urso was a great find and a memorable evening. Being foreigners we got there at 8 (a full hour before anyone else) but were treated with excellent service and glass of champ. Our meal was excellent, including a fish course and duck, as was the wine. And all at a very reasonable 40 euros. At midnight the place exploded into dancing in the dining room which was a lot of fun. Recommend this place for a casual night out with great food even if it is not new year's.

1  Thank Viewbychris
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Unlike a restaurant,a Portugese Tasca provides inexpensive home cooking and the Tasca Urso provides just that. It doesn't have an extensive wine list but the house red was very good.Indeed my wife and I ordered a second pitcher we liked it so much. The food was a new experience for us, as was the menu as it was all in Portuguese which neither of us speak.The owner went over each listing of the menu so that we could make an informed choice. We chose particularly local dishes which we had not come across before. My wife chose Bacalhau (a Portuguese speciality made fom shredded cod ) It was made into fritters which was delicious, and as we shared I can say it was deicious, as was my choice. Unfortunately my Portuguese is so bad/non existent that I can't remember what I chose but it was made with a Portuguese sausage mixed with breadcrumbs which ws coloured by beetroot and had spinach in it. I was somewhat nervous about taking it as normally I hate beetroot and give spinach a wide berth unless it is retively tasteless and is covered by other flavours. I shouldn't have worried as it was both filling and tasty.
I think the fct that it has no pretensions about being what it is meant that the fact that none of the dishes matched but each was of traditional design created a very homely atmosphere of a place where it was the food that mattered.

1  Thank Andrew V
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After a week in Lisbon, when we had been very satisfied with all the restaurants we visited; it was our bad luck to choose this for our last dinner. Upon arrival, a tiny appetizer of patè with small pieces of toasts was placed unbidden on our table. This turned out to be the only tasty thing about our meal- and it also showed up on our bill to the tune of 4E, compared to the other places where appetizers were free. We had two small dishes- the first was a chicken fillet which did not taste much of anything; the other was a typical Portugese dish (we were told) called Pica-Pau. The first mouthfuls was not so bad, but we became more and more aware of a sour taste like vinegar which soon became overwhelming- we gave it up; it was like eating vinegar. To get this foul taste out of our mouths, we ordered chocolate mousse. This turned out to be totally liquid- just like a sauce and was sickenly sweet. Added to all this, there was no wine selection- only a house wine priced like (or above) what you paid for brand names in other restaurants. To be fair, it was not bad tasting. And this ended up being the second most expensive meal we had in Lisbon (except for the Cafè De Sao Bento)!

1  Thank hejno
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Very nice restaurant, with typical portuguese tapas and a wonderful decoration with old school objects and a cool ambient. There is a smoking area and a nice terrace for outside dinning.

3  Thank Joana26