“Lovely hostel in Rossio train station”

Lisbon Destination Hostel
Ranked #10 of 484 Specialty Lodging in Lisbon
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is a really well run and beautifully designed hostel. Set in the rossio train station (so the perfect place if you want to stumble out of bed and on to a train to Sintra), the best thing is the use of space; the steel struts from the train station run through the open plan communal space and into your bedroom. They've also done a great job of sound proofing everything so you need not worry about being woken up by passing trains. Breakfast was eggs, pancakes and fresh coffee. Our room was also excellent - worth mentioning that they do have ensuite double rooms with a a double bed (which we had), as this isn't that clear on the website. Amazing shower!

Coming to Lisbon? Stay here.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lisbon Destination Hostel

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Perfect location (when you stay for couple of days it's very important), very nice and helpful staff. Very clean place, terrific view from bathroom windows (I mean from the place where wash basins are:). My room was upstairs, it was very spacious, I paid for twin room, so it was my private place, and the shower was just around the corner, I felt like in N-stars hotel there. The difference are people. They are more sociable and friendly in hostels. It was one of the reason I chose this place and I wasn't disappointed. Superb. Some people write about noise, but I didn't hear anything, maybe was too tired after all day walking?)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Upsides: perfect location (although its in the train station), very nice & helpful staff, billiard table & Wii, private rooms ensuite r comfortable (and has cool shower), very nice breakfast (included), equipped kitchen.
Downsides: as it is quite a new place still lacking hostel atmosphere (at least while i stayed there) - but i compare it to hostels in south america or australia ... so maybe the difference is cos of trip type ; the window of my room (dont know about other rooms) faced the common area and not to the open air.
bottom line - very recommended!

Room Tip: ask if there is a room with a window facing the open air
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2011

As others mentioned, this hostel is really good. In addtion, I'd like to tell you that staffs are also good.
When I told them I lost my bag at the airport, they tried their best to find my bag, calling police and lost/found office. With their effort, I could find my bag when I went back to the airport. It's touched. Thanks a lot.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Recommendation for Rossio Patio Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal

On a scale of 1-10- the Rossio Patio Hostel is a 20!!!! Yes- 20!! That good. It is new and I am sure it will get even better!!!

First of all it is a beautiful hostel- There is an openness and cleanliness you see right off the bat. The large, open plant filled public gathering area is inviting to read in, nap in, relax in and of course meet new people.There is a free breakfast , a large kitchen area to make your own meals or have great dinners for a very reasonable price if you so choose. Nothing like delicious home cooked meals after being on the road for awhile!!!

So here I was at the end of a 2 month journey when a planned place to stay fell through. I was used to a shared space with a friend and had not stayed in "dormitory style" hostels for a long time and not really feeling up to staying in such a hostel. But we saw it from the train station and decided to check it out. Carlos "took me in" and showed us a shared room for 4 people with its own bathroom and shower as one of the options available in the hostel; it was so nice.

It turned out the last three days of my travel was one of the highlights of my trip through staying at the Rossio Patio Hostel. Why?- just the "environment" of the space lets you know a lot of care went into planning a comfortable, clean, homey place for travelers. But it is the people- Carlos, Joao, Julia, Sophie, Penelope, Antonio and all the others who make up a team of people committed to making your stay easy and comfortable. There are free walking tours, inexpensive tours to places in Lisbon and the surrounding areas and lots of help to get you to where you want to go. I highly recommend the night time Fado tour in the El Fama district.

All in all- I obviously highly recommend the Rossio Patio Hotel in Lisbon, Portugal.
Tisha Kenny

Room Tip: you have options to choose from- depends on your own needs. all seemed good
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a very nice stay at the hostel. We had one of the private rooms. Although quite modestly looking on the inside, you must go out to take a picture of your travel mate with the window open, because the building is stunning on the outside: you look like the queen :-)
The hostel has a helpful staff,a great lounge arrea, and is ideally located. You can literally walk out the door and take the train to Sintra. Would definately return

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

this hostel is so beautiful, first when I got in I was so impressed and sure I want to stay there. It is really nice and the atmosphere is just great there:-). Nice people, clean, modern, great. There are also some events organised. I enjoyed a Portugees dinner there which was for a good price and it was delicious. If you go to Lisboa, I´m sure where I´m going to stay :-)

Room Tip: I stayed in dorm