“Great fresh fish with spicies”

O Cantinho Das Gaveas
Ranked #1,153 of 4,456 Restaurants in Lisbon
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I can not understand the critical bad reviews of this restaurant.
I am living in Lisboa since a couple month now and this has been my favorite restaurant since I tryed it the first time.
I have been here a couple times and it was always good. I can recommend the fish, especially the grillend salmon and tuna. It is grilled perfectly and has great spicies. Every meal is served with seasonal vegetables as well.
Also the sangria is the best I have had in Lisboa.

The bacalau is a portugese fish which most of the foreigners do not like anywhere in portugal. It has its own taste.

I recommend this place. It has great and fresh fish and very good prices.

Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Based on a recomendation from our B & B owner went here for early evening meal after a long day walking with family. Did not disappoint. Food was good and service eccellent from an English speaking waiter. The location with some music made for a good night. Children ate everything before a walk up the hill.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

You end up at a place like this when you haven't pre-planned where to eat...or in this case our plans fell through. We picked this restaurant because of a tripadvisor sticker but alas is was just okay. The food was good, the price reasonable, the waiter....well I think he hated us on sight and could have cared less that we were there. The waiter seemed quite happy to chat at other tables whom I expect were locals. I don't understand, if you don't like tourists, then don't have a restaurant in the heart of the tourist area. We will not return or recommend. I am giving a 'poor' on atmosphere because we did not feel welcome.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Had high expectations as I was given 5 restaurants to try and this was the only one open early, and as I had to work early the next day I chose it.
I tried the "traditional" Bacalhau. Cod and baked potatoes with greens.
Large portion, big fish, but that was it. The taste was as bland as the service.
Pity.

1  Thank Oliver D
Reviewed March 18, 2012

i was searching for a place to eat in Barrio Alto and sat down at this place sensing a style of authenticity from the decor, the name, etc.
i wasnt disappointed at all!
Started with the starters of cod-cakes (excellent flavor) and then the waiter's recommendation of grilled octupus - it was absolutely wonderful! wonderful!
washed down with green wine with sparkles and the usual portuguese sides of bread and cheese (portuguese soft, firm yellow flavors, etc).
starters + wine + main course + coffee + whiskey - i think i paid around 27 euros!
and while i ate - the place filled up to the level where there was a huge waiting crowd outside - so dont think you can go wrong with this place.