“Wow'd Despite Some Bad Reviews”

Tivoli Avenida Liberdade Lisboa
Ranked #72 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently stayed 4 days and 3 nights at the Hotel Tivoli Lisboa. It was part of a stay with a Viking Cruise which required us to stay at this hotel. I arrived a day earlier and had to book an extra night too. I read the poor and terrible reviews that were recent (2012 & 2013) as well as average. I was not impressed. Viking Cruises would do nothing to change the hotel. So, I stayed here and actually was wowed by the service, room quality, restaurant on the top floor. It is no 5 star but it is not mediocre either. Yes, the lobby is 1970/80's and dark. But the front desk receptionist and conceirge are accommodating. The rooms are brightly decorated, spacious, luxurious and have a bed that you don't want to leave. The breakfast in the downstairs restaurant is very good for free however there is a mass of people converging on that free food. The surprise was the restaurant on the top floor. It was my birthday. I had reservations at a restaurant 20 minutes away but it was raining and cabs are hard to find on a Friday night so I went upstairs to the roof restaurant. While the service was mediocre, the chef and his 9or her) menu selections (fresh, local, creative fare) and food delivery (eye appealing, aromatic and scrumptious) would have made it 5 star but the service was spotty. Our waiter was very good but time pressured with too many patrons and he forgot my birthday which the hotel manager saved the day. Thanks! It was memorable. Would I stay at the hotel again? Yes both personally and professionally.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarcoPro2050
There are newer reviews for Tivoli Avenida Liberdade Lisboa

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. I was surprised when I read some of the reviews before we travelled. The location is good and you can walk all the way down to the Tagus if you wish. The atrium is delightful and spacious. Wi-fi us free if you sign up to the loyalty programme. I think the problem is the provider they use and that is why there is a charge. We knew about the charge for coffee and so I had packed tea bags and powdered milk. We were pre-cruise travellers with Viking and so there was a kettle provided with tea, coffee and milk. We had a problem with our first room as water started to come into the bathroom from the room above after half an hour there. We were helped to move to a room down the corridor and later given half a bottle of port and chocolate truffles with a handwritten note apologising for the inconvenience. Our room looked out on the avenue and was quiet thanks to double glazing. The lovely mattress topper ensured a good sleep. Breakfast was great and the view from the top floor is spectacular. There was nothing the matter with the bathroom. Stars are given for amenities and I should like to have had time to use the pool. There are several restaurants within walking distance. This is a good hotel so don't be put off by adverse reviews.

Room Tip: There are different types of room. I believe we were in a classic room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janmezzo
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We got a great deal through Expedia for the hotel so not going to complain too much about it. Like others, it tries to be a 5 star hotel but the services don't quite match that expectation.

We were on the 4th floor and were in a comfortable room that was clean but probably could have did with a little modernisation however, I am not a great sleeper away from my own bed and I can say that I slept like a log in these beds.

Good points were its location and the pool areas was nice and quiet when we were there. Bad points however include no free WiFi, no free tea or coffee, expensive drinks in the bar ( 9 euros for a pint of beer) and expensive breakfast menu.

Use the hotel as a focal point for your visit but eat and drink in the many cafes and restaurants outside. By walking a couple of hundred metres we were buying a hearty breakfast for 15 € for all of us rather than the 52€ in the hotel and the beer was 4€.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for a couple of years. The hotel went through a major renovation, and it can be simply described as spectacular (when it comes to the rooms).

All has been tastefully painted and refurbished, and the rooms have a very comfortable bed, a flat screen TV as well as other amenities. This reform has not been carried out in the bathrooms , as it is not unusual to find malfunctioning WC's or leaking showers.

I have had the opportunity to sleep in this hotel both weekdays and weekend. From Monday to Thursday, I have never had major complains. Something that I can't say after what I have experienced at weekends ... A nightclub is just located in front of this hotel, making sleeping virtually impossible. When I have informed the front desk about what had happened, they have just told me that nothing could be done (as most of the times they have been completely booked) .

On other occasions, I have had an interior room on one of the first three floors. The noise haven't come from the above mentioned nightclub, but from a kind of engine (belonging either to a lift, or to the air conditioning system).

It's a shame that an establishment that offers such quality on one side (comfortable beds, impressive catering, location) can not overcome the noise problems or other minor setbacks (ridiculously sized gym, no free wifi) .

Room Tip: Simply avoid the interior rooms on the first three floors (too much noise coming from the lifts) and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very well run hotel, clean and spacious rooms, although some rooms have nice views and some you don't even want to open the shades as all you see are other windows to other rooms. We ate at the hotel bar a couple of times, up on the 9th floor outside overlooking the city lights. It is a smalll plates type of menu but the food was great. They do close the nice upstairs dining room for weddings and business events though so check before you count on it. You can walk to many other local restaurants though. The staff was very friendly and helpful, food prices in the hotel much higher than in the surrounding restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, shouldn't be a problem, it is a large hotel with lots of options.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Room was small, dated and looking in need of updating. I believe there are better rooms. Room above was noisy and was woken with something being dropped on the floor above one day, then high heels on marble floor the next day and all days the noisy pipe work. Comfortable bed and nice dark room. Shower was a bit cramped but good water pressure. Staff were friendly.

Adequate breakfast choice. Sky bar has amazing views and atmosphere.

Good location for all designer shops.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After many hours of flying from LAX to Lisbon, The Tivoli Lisboa was a perfect landing!!!
The location is ideally located on a chic street (i.e. Champs l'Elysee or Rodeo Drive).
Safe for walking and shopping. The lobby is spacious : ideal to meet , chat and imbibe.
Our junior suite was quiet, comfortable and very spacious.
The breakfast buffet included was delicious and sufficient.
All in all, this property was a perfect beginning to our Portugal/Spain vacation.

Room Tip: A room in the back is quieter, but has no view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple