“Value for money”

Ranked #97 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,994)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I checked in at noon and asked for a room facing the back of the hotel, if possible not on a very high floor (hoping I would be less disturbed by the airplanes that were flying above our heads). At the time the only room available was a room facing the street, so I was asked to return later.
Service: 1) When I returned, the only room left for me was a room on the 10th floor (the hotel has 14 floors), because according to the hotel Manager they were fully booked and to get a room on a lower floor, I should have made a reservation when I came in!!! I guess that had to do with the low price I had paid reserving the room 5 weeks ago, since there were people popping in without a reservation, feeling disappointed from the prices at the Novotel across the street, and paying 62 euros for one night's sleep at the 2* Ibis hotel (room only).
2) I asked for a glass or cup, the gentleman said "no, because last year a guest broke a glass and cat himself, and that caused me problems".
3) On my second night there I informed the receptionist that a bottle cap had stuck inside the wash bassin preventing water to flow and that I needed someone to check it on the following day. He made a note of that.
On the following day, at 11:00 I informed the other receptionist about the wash bassin. I returned at 19:00, the problem persisted; nobody had come to check. Water wouldn't leave unless something was used to help it.
In this case I asked the same person who was there in the morning to fulfill their "15 minutes satisfaction guarantee", that unless they fix something in 15 minutes, they don’t charge for the room. I was told that that wasn’t possible, was offered another room and was asked to discuss it with the hotel Manager (the same person who wouldn’t give me a glass) on the following day, which THANK GOD was the day of my departure. When I mentioned the fact that they didn’t even provide face towels, he said in a very aggressive way that for the last five years they provide bath towels for the face. Too bad I've been staying at Ibis hotels for twenty years and they never gave me a face towel.
On the following morning the hotel Manager offered to come and take a look and said that if the same thing was still stuck there, they would satisfy my request. He saw it, he hit it and since the water could flow, he said there was no problem at all.
Quality of sleep: The condition of the room was the same as in every other Ibis hotel. Good, if you only need a clean room to sleep, and for a good price. But I couldn’t sleep. Because room 1021 was under the family rooms, and apart from the aircrafts (until 01:30), there were children above my head who couldn’t stand still. I went to the reception; I said I wanted to change room in the morning.
The following day I was given room 521. At 02:00 (second night) loud conversation from drunken people was heard from the backyard. I went to the front desk, to my question the receptionist denied the existence of tables anywhere outside or people sitting and drinking and he supposed the noise was coming from the hotel next door. The fact is they did have tables outside, they did serve alcohol, and there there were two men sitting drinking and shouting. The receptionist-who "didn’t" know it- spoke to them, they stopped. At 06:00 same story. This time I went out myself, spoke to the two wise guys -glasses full of beer- talking loudly, one word led to another, but since there's no point talking to drunkers, I went to the receptionist again, I don’t know what he told them (they spoke Portuguese) but they left the hotel. I don’t even know if they were members of the Ibis staff, guests or total strangers.
Internet: There are two computers in the lobby; they're free of charge but very very slow. Five minute's work needs half an hour. Anyway they serve well in an emergency.
Breakfast: I didn’t have breakfast. Breakfast is served 06:30-10:30, and not 04:00-12:00 as advertised. 04:00-06:30 there's only coffee and cake. 10:30-12:00 snacks from the bar.
Leaving the hotel, 10 minutes walk down the road is the Metro station San Sebastiao (direct connection to the airport) and the department store El Corte Ingles. It's open 10:00-22:00 daily, 10:00-23:30 on weekends, and there is a huge supermarket in the basement.
This metro line leads to Oriente station, where there is a huge Mall (the Vasco De Gama Mall), which is open until midnight, and where one can find international brands such as C&A,lots of restaurants and fast food chains, and a giant supermarket with everything including food to go.
On a parallel street to Avenida Jose Malhoa- 10 minutes walk- is the Metro station Praca de Espanha- connection to the Zoo.
My personal assesment is that at the Ibis they don’t care for the price of the room, but for what they can get from the bar. I have heard and read a lot of complaints from solo travellers, and now I begin to realise why. Because a solo traveller is less likely to spend as much in the bar as a larger party. I don’t know if it’s legal to serve alcohol 24 hours a day – which is what they advertise, and to give people bath towels to use for the face; and I would really like to know it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Reviewed October 24, 2012

For what we paid, the hotel (and the room) was great. A clean and new (bath)room, a comfortable bed and a TV. Whatelse do you need?

Location was a bit hard to find, but you could see the signs from Novotel and Mercure already from far away, so just keep in mind that these hotels are across the same street as where the Ibis Lisbao Jose Malhoa is located. A few free parking spaces can be found in front of the hotel, rest is paid. Or use the garage which costs € 6,50 per day. Metro station of Pr. de Espana nearby (max 5 min by feet). By Metro one stop to the El The hop on/hop off tourist bus also stops on the left side in front of the hotel. Did not use breakfast as we left early in the morning. We had a drink in the bar, prices are fair. Although at night I would recommend eating somwhere else as the menu is rather limited.

We were on the 10th floor, you can the airplanes fly over, but that was not a huge problem for us.

Would return.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in Lisbon at Jose Malhoa. Not too far from the airport and just 5 stops away from the Restauradores which is where the main action of the city is. The metro station for Jose Malhoa is the Praca De Espanha and it is 5-6 min walk from the hotel. The rooms are small and typically IBIS but for the price you pay, I think this is a steal. A great front desk, decent breakfast (no warm stuff like omelettes etc) and a clean room every evening when you come back is all you can ask for. The lunch/dinner is nothing great (I had issues as I am a vegetarian) - so best if you eat outside and come back to the hotel. The Sana Malhoa next door has a good restaurant where you can find some vegetarian stuff like Risotto etc.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Close to the airport - good connections to downtown and sights - cheap, good comfort , clean and the ba prices beats anything - nice and kind staff - all speak good english. Breakfast essential but ok - dont think about room service and fitnessromm but hey you're in Lisbon - walk around and find a good cheap restaurant in the neighbourhood or downtown. Missed safe in the room..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed in a few Ibis before, I found that this ibis has the best qualities; the staffs are nice, the bathroom is spacious compare to the other Ibis and the renovation overall is relatively new. One of the cons is that the hotel is a bit far from the metro station, other than that, I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for basic and good value option.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends