“Excellent hotel.”

Ranked #93 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
LLANDUDNO
“Excellent hotel.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here mid September 2012. Reception on arrival quick and efficient. The suite was amazing, better than we anticipated. Lounge, separate bedroom, 'galley' style kitchenette. Quality furnishings, comfy beds, flat screen tv in lounge and bedroom. Pool and seating area outside, which for city hotel was brilliant (early evening we took our own drinks to sit outside, before going into the city centre). Location ok, but nothing within immediate vacinity e.g. bars etc. 15 min walk to city centre, along the very pleasant Avenido (tree lined with open air cafe's every 500m or so, for a drink and people watch (ideal). One downside, it is across the road from a small refuge truck depot, so bin trucks coming and going during the night, noisy and disturbed our sleep. Easily remedied, ask for room at rear of hotel.
Overall very pleased with the hotel, in fact it was spot on.
P.S. Took the metro from airport to Rato station, really quick, cheap and easy (return transfer for 2 therefore added up to only 6 euro's, keep ticket for return trip for cheaper price).

Room Tip: ask for rear of hotel to eliminate bin truck noise at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MGSF-PB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent a week in this place. Our room was tidied and cleaned everyday, they even did our washing up when we'd cooked! Beds were very comfy, location was near to transport to Alfama, Bairro Alto & Baixa, the best places to eat & drink and I would recommend travelling to one of those rather than eating near hotel, as it was in financial district so most places near hotel were over priced and not that great.
Staff on reception were very helpful, apart from one evening where the receptionist couldn't understand why we wanted a drunk man removed from outside our door! Previous people have commented on Viktor being rude and unhelpful but we found the opposite. Plus he is HOT!
Nice (cold) pool but not enough sun beds, less than 10 which is nothing for a large hotel and there was more space around the pool to accommodate double the amount really. A hen party was there for some of our stay so they had secured the majority of beds before we'd even got near the pool. There were also building works going on nearby Mon-Fri which was very noisy so not very relaxing.
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had an aparthotel room which had basic cooking facilities - 2 heated rings and a fridge. Which w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This stay was our first visit to Portugal. The hotel room was a pleasant surprise, large by european standards, with a separate room for relaxing and a kitchette that was supplied with the necessities, a suite as the name of the hotel implies. The staff when checking in was very helpful however I wish he would have mentioned the 24 hour transportation pass for 5 euro. (We found out after spending 10 euro for the lift to go to the upper part of town. pass covers the lift, metro, buses, trams and starts from the 1st time you use for 24 hours and can be reloaded for additional days.) The closest metro stop was not far, Rato, and a convenient location to McDs for morning or late night lattes. I did not give a 5 star because of the lack of free internet access in the lobby. Most european hotels charge in the rooms but free in the lobby, only wanted to check outgoing flight and would have been 3 euro, not a huge amount, but worth noting. Overall we would stay again as Lisbon and the Clarion are very friendly and seem to appreciate US business.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eurotraveler32
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great hotel in a perfect location. Away from the hustle & bustle of the touristy areas, and within 10 minutes walk of Marquis of Pombal Square which has a metro station and is where all the tour buses depart from.

Approx 10 euros in a taxi from both the airport and Entrecampos train station.
It's a lovely 30 minute walk down the Avenida da Liberdade into the city centre.

The room itself was perfect! The hotel is all suites, so our room was generously sized, containing two huge double beds, air-con, a large desk, a table & two chairs. The kitchenette area consisted of two electric hobs, cupboards, a full-sized under-counter fridge, a small sink, and crockery/cutlery. Perfect for reducing the costs of eating out all the time.
The bathroom was clean and shiny.
Overall we were very impressed.

Reception was very polite & efficient, providing assistance when requested.

The pool is an absolute bonus! Far bigger than it looks on the official website, it's located in a sun-trapped area behind the hotel, where the decking gets full sunshine for nearly all of the day. Perfect for a relaxing swim after a busy day in the city. The decking furniture is rattan and very comfortable, although does get snapped up pretty quickly. Free towels are on offer for use in the pool. I sure these could also be used to take to the beach if you didn't want to get sand all over your own.

Within 5 minutes walk of the hotel is a mini-market where you can buy food/drinks/provisions, etc. Also there is a small branch of McDonalds located on the same road as the hotel (opposite but a few doors down) which offers free wifi (and yummy McFlurrys!).

The hotel does have wifi, but it's a chargable service.

We stayed for 5 nights in July, and the price worked out to be around £58 per night, which is an absolute bargain for a European city and a fine hotel. This price was achieved by searching around numerous booking websites for the best deal (which for us was via Otel.com).

We definitely wouldn't hesitate to return to Clarion Suites when we revisit to Lisbon, which hopefully won't be too long because it is such a wonderful city!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front get sun in the afternoon. Rooms overlooking the pool at the back get sun in t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank st321st
Leicester
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel had everything for us. Good location. Two Metro stops within 5 minutes, close to bus routes, a supermarket and a McDonalds across the road.
Swimming pool was good enough for our two kids. Not busy so enough sun beds. Most people use the hotel to explore the city so not that busy around the pool.
We had a room with a loung and kitchen with a seperate bedroom. 2 Kids were able to sleep on the sofa bed. Kitchen had a cooker, microwave and small fridge/freezer so again did the job.
Overall a good value hotel to explore the city. Not too many frills but thats what we paid for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tripper786Leicester
Helsinki
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This June together with my partner we chose Lisbon to kick off our summer holidays. We again chose Clarion Suites because of the reasonable price, the location, the balcony and the fact that suites come with fully equipped kitchenette.
Upon arrival late at night the receptionist - who wasn't (as always) very welcoming despite having seen us a few times already in the previous years - confused us about our booking. We had booked a studio with a terrace and he was going to give us one without. He mumbled something about the price and made us feel like we better follow his suggestion. Which we didn't because from our experience the few terraced studios make a much nicer holiday accommodation.
Days went by pleasantly. One incident I must report is when for two days I was given a soiled pillow case. The third day I made a point to live the soiled pillow for the room service to see. It was changed only to return to me the following day! I took the pillow and went to the reception to request a clean one. The receptionist acted coolly but apparently asked the room service available at that time to come and change the whole bed. The lady arrived obviously annoyed and was asking me in broken English if we want her to change the whole beds, only to calm down when I told her that I only need a clean pillow case. She immediately brought the pillow in a clean pillow case. Later we had the chance to find out for ourselves how the pillow cases get soiled. Behind the Staff-Only door to the fire escape stair case that was taking us to the ground floor swimming pool the conditions of cleanliness were quite substandard. Behind those cheap doors looking heavy the underbelly of the hotel seemed very shabby. Bed linen is constantly transported on dirty trolleys, clumsily placed in big plastic bags, pushed around shabby service elevators. Cigarette butts were all over the stair case some maybe from guests (I doubt it) and some from employees.

The swimming pool of the hotel is also a thorn I believe to its image and functionality. It is practically a round 5 or 6 meters in diameter water tank covered with linoleum imitating glass mosaic. The garden furniture available for the numerous at times guests are sparse (4 sun beds, and two or three sets of coffee tables and chairs). The few times we spent some time by the pool we were lying on the ground since the sun-beds were occupied.

But the biggest complaint I have about Clarion Suites Lisbon and which have led me in the past to try and contact the hotel management directly - to no good - remains the fact that they keep on overcharging for the use of their PC and wireless network. We ended up paying quite a lot to check our emails and at a couple of times the passwords were not working and then we had to feel obliged to the receptionists' generosity that they take our word and give us a few more minutes for "free". In one occasion that the receptionist didn't have change to give me back when I wanted to pay him for my Internet session of 30 minutes he charged it on our room. The same evening I paid off my small debt only to find out when we were checking out that the debt was still registered on our room. Once again I had to explain myself and made to feel grateful because the receptionist (Fatima is the nicest) took my word and spared me from paying an additional 5 euro bill.

They charge equally much for room wireless connection in an era when wireless in most customer friendly hotels is free of charge. In fact Clarion Suites is in general not a cheap hotel - seasonal offers excluded we paid 100€/night - and they could afford to offer free WIFI. Alas it seems to me that the charges are there to subsidize the salaries of the receptionists. I would gladly give a good tip to them for their good manners and welcoming spirit instead of feeling ripped off for a few euros.

Finally, I would like to say that even contacting the hotel with feedback proved to be tricky. While trying to find a contact email address to send my complaint about the wifi to Clarion Suites Lisbon I was redirected to the central site of Clarion Hotels and after a few weeks I was informed that their brand is franchised and therefore it is up to the local management to make their own policies. So it is up to the management of Clarion Suites Lisbon to decide if they want to offer free wifi to their guests or not.

On the 2nd day of our stay a lady came to our room in the morning and asked us if everything in the room was alright. We said yes and thanked her. We were never visited by that lady or anyone else to enquire about our levels of satisfaction with our room and stay in the hotel. I think that we should have been asked again towards the end of our stay.

Thank you and I am sorry if I seem pedantic but after 4 times at a hotel one starts to notice things.

Room Tip: Terraced rooms are nicer despite the fact that they are supposed to be for smokers. We are not smoke...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank acuteobserver
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The suite or apartment was a perfect size for the three of us. One large bedroom, a fold up couch in the sitting room, kitchen and bathroom. The suite was made up every day to a high standard. Staff were stand offish, not really very helpful. The mini market nearby is well stocked and reasonable. Left out of the hotel, cross the main road and it's in front of you.The swimming pool is small but it was never very busy. Taxi was €18 each way to and from the airport.

Room Tip: I left a window open one night and Lisbon's only mosquito (apparently) came to party!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family