“Theft from Room and no contact from management after they promised to look into it after we left”

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #40 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in the sofitel on our weekend in Lisbon. Whilst the hotel was acceptable theft of clothes from our room was not. This is bad but when I met the manager to complain she took my mail details and said she would look into this. 2 weeks on I have heard nothing. 1 week ago I sent this to the main sofitel site and again no contact. For a 5 star hotel to have this attitude towards theft is scandalous. 2 items of clothing were taken from the room. Whatever about this I find the management attitude scandalous. My regret is that I did not phone the police at the time. For any future guest please consider the prospect of theft and management ineptituede.

Room Tip: none I wouldnt stay here again
12 Thank Eamonn449
AFERREIRA, General Manager at Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment.

We understand we have not met your overall expectations and apologise for the inconveniences you have faced.

Since we are unable to identify your contact details, we kindly request you to please contact us through h1319-sm@sofitel.com in order to allow us to investigate this issue as soon as possible, as it was not of my or the weekend Duty Manager’s knowledge, up till today. We look forward to your contact and remain at your entire disposal for further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

António Ferreira de Sousa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Probably the best hotel staff I encountered in the past few years. Knowledgeable, professional, cheerful. The hotel is sophisticated and has sleek interiors. I would have given it 5 stars, but there were a couple of flaws. First, there was scaffolding being constructed at the front of the hotel. It made it hard to take my mid-afternoon nap. Normally I don't mind construction, but when I was there last year, there was also construction going on. Also, my mattress seemd to be perhaps a little dated, as I kept rolling towards the end of the bed. And from reading some of the other reviews, I am an Accor hotels member and didn't get an upgrade.
These are little problems. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a great time at the Sofitel, I was upgraded due to being an Accor hotels member even though we should not have been as we booked through Expedia and not the website of the hotel.
We didn't use the hotel restaraunt or have breakfast there because we nipped down the road to a cafe and had a coffee and pastry each for under €4
The hotel is 10 minutes walk from the centre, ideally placed in the upmarket area of the city and about 25 minutes from the airport.
We booked transfers but the metro runs from the airport and the metro station is literally outside ( I think it's called Aveneda)

We walked around a lot exploring the streets and got the number 28 tram which takes you around the sites - Tip: buy a travel card it's far cheaper to get around , you need to ask the tram driver to stop otherwise h just keeps going. The team goes from point to point so you have to get off at one end of the route and then pay to go back again.
Do the day trip to Sintra from the station, the train goes one way so you can't go wrong, Sintra is the last stop and its a lovely place to visit. We walked around and tried the cherry brandy and port samples, of course it's touristy but it gives you a flavour of Portuguese life.
Back in Lisbon we had a night out in the Bairro alto district which comes alive at night, there's loads of little bars and places to eat there, we went on a Sunday night so it was pretty quiet but I'm sure in summer at weekends it's completely different.
We went down to the Expo area and the excellent aquarium there, - well worth a visit. The area is really nicely done and there is a large shopping centre there for having a look around.
Near to the sofitel ( go around the corner) we found a cool bar called Iberica, a little smoky but does tapas and its popular with the local crowd. It's a great place for a drink and watch the local scene.
Use the metro as well, it's fast efficient and a day ticket is € 6.5
In all we really enjoyed Lisbon and the Sofitel is a cool place with friendly staff, we would definitely return one day.

4 Thank sheppy01
london
Reviewed March 9, 2013

A well equipped and modern hotel with all the standard facilities.Pleasant ,helpful and welcoming staff with a good sense of humour .Ideally situated for tourism,plentiful bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.The hotel restaurant is particularly good.Plentiful police presence on the streets and squares so personal security was good. Lisbon is charming and interesting city with excellent cuisine and really nice people. A totally " hassle free" city break.

3 Thank readingLondon
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

With the opportunity to stay at any number of corporate hotels during our recent visit to Lisbon, I am pleased to have returned to an old favourite brand, Sofitel. The Sofitel in Lisbon did not disappoint, with the usual, reassuringly comfortable beds and well equipped rooms. As well as the room, the public areas were comfortable and we enjoyed both the bar - with its excellent menu with the perfect Gin and Tonic to enjoy and even an Absinthe fountain on the bar - and the restaurant - which was impressive and has been reviewed by me on its own TA page. All of the staff we encountered at the hotel were friendly and warm and made you feel welcome and well looked after. We will certainly be back if we have to go to Lisbon on business again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Matthew L
Singapore
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel is located on a major road with a good variety of shops and restaurants. Better still, the subway station is just oppositite - a mere stone throw away. My room was on the third floor and was clean and comfortable. The bathroom appears to be new and is sparkling clean too. The breakfast has an excellent spread and what really made my day was the table dedicated just for fruits.Plus they do a cooked breakfast for you on request. Reception was professional and friendly and they were very good about arranaging for tranport and in recommending places. There was nothing not to like.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not face the main road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank EveningGlow
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My thanks to the very helpful gentleman on reception who immediately offered assistance when I said my husband was unwell. The offer of an extended check out and refeshments was very kind.

Spent three very pleasant nights in this hotel. It's in a great spot, handy for transport, restaurants and sight seeing.

It has the most impressive breakfast buffet I have ever seen. There's a huge range of items beautifuly displayed and hot items cooked to order.

The cost was really reasonable, perhaps because of the renovation work. Repairs appeared to be confined to weekdays so it was not intrusive.

Well worth a visit to this lovely hotel in a beautiful city.