“Great start - poor finish”

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #44 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel - one night to go.

Initially we were impressed with the hotel location, hotel amenities, room and staff. That has now changed.

We asked for a non smoking room. Last night I thought I could smell smoke but thought it must be my imagination as I HATE smoking and have a bad cough just now and smoking smell aggravates
it. However when we came in tonight we were knocked out by the smell. The lady on reception was polite but seemed amused and never said sorry once. I insisted I could not put up with this and all she said I could do was move room. She seemed surprised I said yes immediately and wanted to smell the room first.

So rather than packing we were moving room. The porter helped move the cases but no sorry, compensation or token gesture. I agree with the below reviewer there are many similar hotels in Lisbon and perhaps their customer service is better. This hotel is fine it seems - until there is an issue. This issue, for me, is so important it has ruined my stay and negated all the many good aspects of the hotel.

Interestingly enough we how have a room next to the scaffolds mentioned by the last reviewer........

Room Tip: Don't go it smoking bothers you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank CandCEdinburgh
AFERREIRA, Gerente geral at Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade and for the time taken to review your stay with us.

Please accept our most sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused by the smell of smoke in your room. We are glad that this was quickly solved by your room change. We understand we have not met your overall expectations and have taken note of all your comments, we recommend you to contact us through h1319-sm@sofitel.com if you prefer to further discuss the occurrences during your stay.

We look forward to your contact and to welcome you on your next trip to Lisbon to be given the opportunity to surpass your expectations.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel. DO NOT book. The hotel is currently undergoing renovation so from 9am we have been subjected to constant drilling, hammering and other works. We can't open our blinds to let natural light into the room as there are workmen on scaffolding. We have called reception to complain and they advised they would ask the workmen to stop making a noise - no improvement. I would have expected a room change or something else to be offered. There are plenty other 5 star hotels in Lisbon, definitely stay somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Emma N
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel offers comfort, high standards of service, friendliness and all amenities in a very pleasant part of Lisbon, with excellent travel links to and from the airport, metro, buses and for walking. The staff were welcoming and courteous, of course, but Vanessa who managed the restaurant was a mine of information in many languages for her diners. Whether it is friendly chat at the end of the day or ideas of places to visit, she will give you a good insight. We thoroughly enjoyed our four nights and would heartily recommend the hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John K

Dear Mr. John,

We are glad you enjoyed your experience with us and thank you for your comments regarding to our standards of service, location and service provided by our Ambassadors. Vanessa joins me today to thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate all the feedback we can get as it helps us in our ongoing efforts to enhance your comfort and satisfaction. Thank you for your recommendation!

We look forward to welcome you on your next trip to Lisbon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very well located hotel, neaby Bairro Alto, Chiado, it gives a very nice location to whom wants to stay nearby the old Lisbon. Subway, Bus and autocarril, Bonde, everything is convenient.. Enjoy Lisbon!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marcilio C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade and for the time taken to review your stay.

We are pleased you enjoyed your experience in our hotel and thank you for your comments regarding to our location. We appreciate all the feedback we can get as it helps us in our ongoing efforts to enhance your comfort and well-being. Thank you for your recommendation!
We look forward to welcome you on your next visit to Lisbon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

If one is looking for elegance and top amenities right at the best location of this fantastic city of Lisbon, Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade is by far the best bet. Lisbon is a pearl right at the edge of Western Europe. For many years it has been one of my favorite European capitals due to its lovely people, its 5* cousine and its sights offered by any of the hills that surround the city center. Right in the middle of all of these incredible sights you will find Sofitel. The hotel is a gem of luxury with a very warm familiar touch to it. forget about the impersonal 5* hotels with 300 plus rooms which come you your mind. Here you will find a smaller property with all the luxury you deserve but with the huge bonus of a staff that make you feel at home. Even on my first day, during check in, somehow the hospitality I found here made feel welcomed back and among friends, and this is something a value a lot. All my needs were taken cared of right from the start. It was a great surprise after a great surprise so I just couldn't not recommend this to future travelers. One last tip: the breakfast buffet is not to be missed. not only because it is offered with a view to the Liberdade avenue, the most prestigious real estate area in town, but also because it includes quite a few Portuguese delicatessen that I believe plays a great part on my yearly desire of returning to this wonderful city and country. One last thing: during my stay I was told one member of the Sofitel Liberdade team had just had twins! I want to congratulate him for this wonderful event and thank once more for showing me the real Portuguese hospitality!

Room Tip: Upgrading to a Avenida Liberdade view room is well worth the money.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ernesto A

Dear Mr. Ernesto,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade and for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade, it was a pleasure to read your comment. Thank you for your kind comments regarding to our location, our room facilities, our exquisite buffet breakfast, and of course the lovely comments regarding to the service provided by our Ambassadors throughout your stay. They do their best to provide each and every Guest a memorable experience and your satisfaction and comfort is our utmost reward. Thank you for your recommendation!

We look forward to welcome you on your next trip to Lisbon!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Sofitel's location is excellent as it is within walking distance to the centre of Lisbon. I also loved the breakfast, to say loved is a real triumph for the Sofitel as I am not a breakfast person, but here you have an excellent buffet and superb hot food which I loved. Though, I did find the staff very slow to notice I was waiting to order. Sorry Sofitel, but this is where I can't really find very much good to say. It was my first and last trip to Sofitel; the room furnishings were okay but I don't think it really was worth the price I paid. There was no hot water, so I had lukewarm showers. And again I really think that it is unacceptable when you have paid quite a lot of money for the room that wifi was an extra cost. A very expensive cost. Yes, it is free in the bar but I had work to do and I needed peace and quiet to do this and I think the hotel couId do so something. I was also surprised by the cost as the wifi price changed each time I purchased (though this was when I arrived home when I checked the bill) which was puzzling. The same happened in the bar-so watch the prices if you stay here. Overall, disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank thetraveller089

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade and for the time taken to review your stay.

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding to our location and our buffet breakfast, we are very pleased you enjoyed it. We have taken note of all your comments as we understand we have not met your overall expectations. Please accept our most sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused by the lack of hot water in your room and for the discrepancies in the Wi-Fi purchases. We recommend you to contact us through h1319-sm@sofitel.com in order to allow us to clarify these occurrences.