“Outstanding cafe”

Neighborhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Springfield, Illinois
“Outstanding cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

After walking up to the Castle of St. George, seeing it and walking down we happened upon this gem of Lisbon. Great food, attentive service and not touristy, this cafe/gallery offers a wonderful getaway from the intense Lisbon sun. With its Great menu and nice wine list, this place totally exceeded expectations. My wife even purchased a gorgeous handmade necklace from the gallery. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Thomas J

Springfield, Illinois
“A delicious and refreshing way to spend the lunch hour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Following a visit to St. George's Castle high above the city of Lisbon/Lisboa, my husband and I were ready for lunch. Despite the fact that al fresco dining is very common here and the weather is very good for that, we decided on ducking into this inviting interior to be out of the sun foor a while.

Are we ever glad we did! The interior was naturally cooled by the rock/tiles that surround diners, and it's relaxing ambience invited one to linger and relax.

We were drawn in by the inexpensive soup of the day, Roasted Garlic, which was smooth, delicious and perfectly prepared, all for 1.80 euros. We asked for a half serving of the plate of the day which was chicken curry, also absolutely perfectly spiced and well made...a fine sized serving, even if "half." We also ordered one of the "slices and things" plate....the goat cheeze, tomato, cilantro, red pepper, and jalapeno one. What arrived was an arrangement of 5 slices of extremely well-made bread, topped with these very tasty ingredients, and then broiled like a pizza. Served with a generous salad of delicate and exotic lettuces, it was absolutely delicious. My husband and I split these three items, then ordered coffee....oh, yes, and we had a split of white wine, and bottled water, all for the very reasonable cost of 23 euros.

This was among our tastiest and consistently excellent meals since arriving on the Iberian Peninsula nearly two weeks ago. Great ingredients and friendly service, in a relaxing, naturally cool interior made this one of our most memorable spontaneous "stops" on our vacation. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank caringinthemoment
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent place for light meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Offering very good value and healthy food, my wife and I were delighted to discover this attractive little cafe. We ate here several times during our week-long holiday in Lisbon; I only wish that I could take this place home with me! I entirely agree with the three previous reviews.

• Visited April 2012
Tampa, f
“Great place for lunch and light meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is a really nice place for light meals and/or lunches. The menu is reasonable, very good service and a nice selection. It is very close to the castle, Chapito and on the way back down to Rossio Square, if you take the stairs down, by the church and medical clinic. It is close to attractions, but doesn't feel touristy.

• Visited November 2011