“Pastelaria to perfection”

Ranked #5 of 88 Coffee & Tea in Lisbon
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Pastelaria Sala de Cha Versailles is an originally decorated place where you can have your delights both at the counter or served at your table. Staff is very friendly and service is quick. Carefull, the GPS location is on the wrong location.

Thank R. B

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a very antique and pretty cake shop/lunch restaurant. The service is not that nice, as they're used to that same old clientele, but it's ok. I come here for one reason along, a cake named Baba! Fluffy pastry soaked in liquor and topped with whipped cream. A delight!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Breakfast is not a big priority in Portugal as it is in many Anglo Saxon countries. We wanted to like this place and were looking forward to a great breakfast. The room is bustling, with a somewhat hectic frenzy combining a deli style counter and table service with waiters. We had to work around an elderly woman who insisted on eating her pastry at the counter as other customers crowded around trying to get served.

The gentleman working at the counter was in good humour and took our order for pastries before we realized that hot food was available, so we paid for our pastries and took a seat at a nearby table. The waiters here have a tough gig, as the place is really busy and the mix of two kinds of service confusing. Our waiter showed us a menu, from which I ordered scrambled eggs, by attempting to read the name to him in Portuguese off the bilingual English/Portuguese menu and pointing to the item to be sure I had been understood.

We set to work on our pastries as we waited for our eggs, I lived in France years ago and was really looking forward to the "pain au chocolat" I had in front of me. Alas, it not only contained jam instead of chocolate but was as dry as an Egyptian mummy. When my eggs arrived, they were greasy and fried rather than scrambled, even though I had specifically pointed to scrambled on the menu.

I confess that some of our difficulties could be attributed to our lack of fluency in Portuguese, but we did make an effort and were disappointed both with the mixups and with the food quality.

1  Thank selmer
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Amazing array of treats, the best pastel de nata I've ever had and great service - what more can I say??

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had lunch here as the place was packed inside on a Friday lunchtime. We ordered cod croquets, meat croquets and a salada rusa. It was very disappointing. The salad had no flavour. The meat croquet had too much beef flavour , and the cod croquets were bland and chewy. Maybe we just made a poor choice as there seemed to be plenty of happy eaters in there, but what we had that day was poor. Service varied, one waiter was very nice and friendly and helpful, the other was a miserable so and so. Didn't try any of the famous pastries as we had been disappointed enough by then.

1  Thank wilftrunks