Hotel da Estrela
$131
$172
$165
  • Restaurant
TRYP Lisboa Aeroporto Hotel(Lisbon)
$190
$141
Melia.com
$276
$264
  • Restaurant
$290
Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Oeiras(Lisbon)(Great Value!)
$61
$249
$226
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshotel schoolsmall luxuryhospitality schoolfernando pessoadesign hotelbath showerreception stafflittle thingstourist sitesbrilliant locationother hotelsa great place to stayhotel is situatedgreat roompublic transportsubway stationcity centre
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I think, I stayed here at the same time as Mrs-October! And I, of course, have a different experience. Although this Hotel has a school theme (see website) it has a most child unfriendly attitude. Massive, Massive, big box ticked!!

No, really! great for business people, couples or independent travellers (not a RUGRAT to be seen) YIPPEE!
Room massive, bed awesome (you won't find better) bathroom epic!! Oh dear!.... one or two problems!...You can't lie in bed and switch lights on/off...unless you have arms of minimum 2m!

Shower...awesome...BUT...there is a towel rack??????? in the shower that protrudes 20cm from the wall and 1.82 m from the floor...now come on!... behave! I... don't take a measure in the shower!..no really I DON'T!! I'm just thinking of you tall, American, Dutch, German friends that might lose an eye or tooth whilst thrashing about in the shower!!....

Ah! Hem!... swiftly on!...I found the Hotel clean, safe, honest, and engaging. The last time I was in Lisbon I stayed at LX Boutique another similar and fabulous Hotel.

I think, in any business whether you like it or not, the staff and people make the difference, and for that reason I will give this hotel maximum points!!...

I also ate in the en-site restaurant EL CANTINA (see review)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Graham A
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed three nights in November for business, but I must say I am not likely to stay here again. The hotel building is originally an old palace, but none of this remains - it has been decorated in very modern fashion, but using poor quality materials, which show. For example the desk chair looked worn and the cream fabric was full of stains, although I don't think the hotel is very old.
The bathroom was large and clean, but as many reviewers have pointed out, the architect must have completely overlooked what the bathtub will be like when you shower in it - the shower head was fixed near the edge of he wall, instead of over in the corner, and since there was no shower curtain (probably for misguided aesthetic reasons), the water pooled on the edge of the bath and then flooded the floor completely.
The bathtub surround looked to be made from cheap material.
The whole room had a slightly musty, mouldy smell.
I found the whole school theme a bit silly and odd.

I had dinner in the restaurant one night and the food was pretty nice (I had ox cheek with potato dauphinoise and fruit salad for dessert), but the service was painfully slow. After having been shown to my table I had to ask for a menu and the bread basket took forever to appear. And this while three members of staff where stood waiting and looking out over the few tables with guests. The hotel website does say that they sometimes employ students from the nearby hotel school, so I suppose they didn't really know what to do....

On a positive note the bed was very, very comfortable and both the bed and the sheets and bedding were of high quality.
I also found the reception staff very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mrs_October
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We booked this hotel not really knowing much about the different areas of Lisbon and were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get around the city from here. If you don't mind walking then you can get to most central places within about half an hour. However, if you're not able or are felling a bit lazy or need to go further afield, Rato subway station is only 5 mins away.
The hotel itself is quite small (20 or so rooms) and all the staff are really helpful and friendly. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant one evening and the breakfast buffet, while simple is quite adequate. It is set in a nice, quiet neighbourhood and there is a little shop opposite where you can buy water etc.
The rooms are a good size as is the bathroom but it is here that we found our only complaint (and the reason we didn't give 5 stars). The bathroom was an odd shape and the way they had placed the bath/shower meant it was not the easiest to wash your hair without bending into an odd shape. Also there was no screen/curtain so the floor of the bathroom ended up getting soaked every time we took a shower.
That said, we would still recommend this hotel to anyone as the pluses far outweighed the one minus.
Oh and say hi to the resident duck in the garden and see if you can make him jump for his bread, just mind your fingers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three night. We booked a queen room, when we arrived we were given a twin, when we asked to be moved they told us they would make up the bed as a queen but not that day as they were busy! They claimed not to have any other rooms so we were moved the following day.

The bathrooms were nicely designed but apparently never to be used, the taps sprayed 5 feet across the floor every time they were turned on, in the first room the bathroom door was missing and the shower flooded the whole room, in the second room the shower was in the bath but had no curtain or door so the water went everywhere.

The restaurant was not open Sunday or Monday and room service asked that you give 24 hours notice. We had lunch there and the food was good, breakfast was basic.

When booking they offer free wifi - this is only available in reception.

The staff were not helpful in the extreme.

The location is not very central, there is a tram about a 10 minute walk and a metro 10 minutes in the other direction and there is not much in the vicinity.

I cannot think of anything that would allow me to recommend this hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelCork
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a hotel I unfortunately cannot recommend.

The room I was given was very pleasant but badly cleaned. When there is a glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom, it should be cleaned and not spotted with lime deposits. The bathroom mugs, although packed in plastic were not clean. The ventilation system was also not cleaned and when the wind piped up it blew large amounts of dam back through the system. Obviously the entire system had not been cleaned for some time which, in itself, presents a fire hazard.

A 48 hour laundry service is offered. 48 hours! I stay in a lot of hotels and most offer a same-day service provided you hand your laundry in before 10:00.

Breakfast is served between 08:00 and 10:00 making it impossible for anyone with an early business meeting to eat before leaving the hotel.

There is no Internet in the bedrooms and the t.v. offers only two English language channels (news and sport) despite the hotel's claim that "your room has a television with access to major national and international channels". This is quite some claim considering such a dearth of channels.

On top of this, the hotel has the gall to demand a 72 hour notice of cancellation of a booking otherwise they debit the first night when industry standard is 24 hours.

Never will I set my foot in this hotel again.

On the bright side, the food was good and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo