“Fancy being thrown out from a restaurant with a 250Euro bill?”
Review of Senhor Vinho

Senhor Vinho
Ranked #30 of 218 Nightlife in Lisbon
More attraction details
Owner description: Spend an evening at this popular club where the singing is great, and the food is even better.
Reviewed August 8, 2011

First of all - it was our big mistake to go to such a place with a 2-year-old toddler. BUT - I did make a reservation by telephone, why was it so hard to explain that it's not a suitable place for children? NOT A WORD, though I mentioned the kids' ages. OK, we arrive around 8pm... At the entrance we are told that we do not have a PROPER attire (again, nothing said during the reservation!), but they do reluctantly let us in. Well, I wish they didn't. Fado is scheduled for 9; until then, we are planning to have some dinner. If you are thinking : "hey, that doesn't bother me much, they were stupid enough to bring a kid to a fado restaurant, we don't bring any" -well, here comes some useful info for you, too. The food is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive and hardly eatable (hardly chewable, I must say). The only decent thing at our table was Sangria - 49 Euro a carafe! Finally, the Fado starts - 45 MINUTES later than scheduled. My elder child is sleeping, and the little one is obviously tired and annoyed. Of course, I find it difficult to stuck his mouth and keep it completely shut during the performance - so a sweet lady graciously descends to us to ask us out... My husband has to stay outside and wait for the rest of the company - after hardly having listened to the first song. Finally, here comes THE BILL - 250 Euro for 3 adults and 2 kids.(Maybe it's a miracle, but all the places we had been before and after, hardly surpassed a 100 for the same group - and that was for delicious food, remarkable wine and impeccable service). Of course, all of us were charged full amount for the performance - even those, who were thrown out... Do you still want to go there?

9  Thank les4Genevois

Reviewed July 19, 2011

“I and my wife had fantastic time in Sr. Vinho. Undouptedly, this is the best place in Lisbon to listen good classic fado in warm, intimate atmosphere. In night of june28-th we were fortunate to hear two greates stars - Aldina Duarte and Antonio Zambujo - both outstanding singers. What a emotional unplugged performance almost next to us ! We like very much also singing of beautiful Lillana Silva and especially young Vanessa Alves - powerful voice and dramatic rendition. There were 6 music sets till midnight - may be 20 (or more) song, plus finest guitar playing. In addition to great fado we had tasty food and attentative service on a reasonable price.
Definitely unforgettable experience!

2  Thank Stefanovs
Reviewed May 3, 2011

we went there after reserving a table and reading the tripadvisor reviews, so we knew what to look out for.
indeed the food is EXPENSIVE and not super good! if i had known it was possible, i would have eaten beforehand and showed up later to catch some drinks and music only.
the place i s very cute though and the singers and musicians very talented.
we had a young and very friendly waiter (from slovakia) but the rest of the staff including the manager seemed kind of rude and over-monitoring everything!
the cava is freixenet cava (like one of the worst cava brands!) so we switched to wine, which was fairly priced compared to the food and ok nice.
if you share a dish they charge you 50% extra!?!! so when it came to desserts i was nervous they would charge me extra for even just tasting my boyfriends dessert! silly!
we had a lovely evening but the food, staff and prices put us a bit off.

3  Thank jozobami
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I've had the opportunity to travel to Lisbon several times in the last few years and been to several Fado clubs. I'd like to say that I wish I'd never been to the other spots, but those experiences gave me sincere appreciation for Senhor Vinho.
This is not a place to go if you wish to converse non-stop with your dinner mates, however, if you want an amazing and authentic experience, where locals often join in on some of the traditional songs, this is the place. No huge tables of tourists here, and yes, if you talk during the music --expect to be shushed. I believe we saw seven different performances, including one with a male soloist, something you would typically only see in Coimbra.
The food was mixed. My husband had the goat and it was one of the best meals we've had in Portugal (he spends five months a year in Portugal). I'm a fan of fava bean stew, and the one I had at Sr Vinho was good, not great. Still, I will go back again and have dinner with the show.

7  Thank TravelinR0se
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We left for Senor Vinho with the advice to ask if Fado is included in the dinner.
Don't be fooled by the guy at the door, Fado is NOT included.
For Fado they charge 12.50 euro. There's a minimum consumption of 12.50.
The food was good but not exceptional and quite pricy if you take into account you're paying separately for Fado.
Wine is pricy (22.50 for Esteva regional red wine). We had the same wine at another restaurant and only payed 7.50

7  Thank TomTu