“Worth a visit”

Book In Advance
More Info
$62.53*
and up
Lisbon Tiles and Tales: Tile Workshop and Private...
Ranked #33 of 465 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A must-see for people interested in the history and design of ceramic tiles, this specialty museum houses a splendid collection of decorative tiles dating from the 15th century to the present.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The tiles tell the history of the country and are nice in and of themselves. However, there's an amazing church right inside the museum, which could serve as a separate attraction. It's great!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,358)
All reviews
"art form"
in 21 reviews
"gift shop"
in 37 reviews
"panoramic view of lisbon"
"old church"
"rainy day"
"azulejos"
in 151 reviews

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to the Tile Museum on a Sunday, when admission is free, and I'm so glad I did, because I went through the museum pretty quickly, even though I saw everything, some things twice. I thought the tiles were beautiful, and it was very interesting to learn about their context, but I had been hoping for a little more information about the history behind tiles in Lisbon, and how they're made, or some other interesting facts or knowledge of tiles. As it was, I left with some fantastic pictures, and with a glad feeling from having been able to see so many pretty tiles.

Overall, I'd say, go on a Sunday, because otherwise I'm not sure the entrance fee is worth what you get.

1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We took the bus here, it lets you off about three blocks away, looks like kind of a run down area but there were four of us walking from the stop trying to find the museum and we were fine. We arrive in the morning and there were few other visitors which was nice. We enjoyed learning about the history of tiles and the development of the different styles and how other cultures influenced over time. Make sure you visit the top floor at the end to see the panoramic tile picture of Lisbon.

1  Thank CJerome
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good collection of tiles, but some rooms currently closed. The 24m panorama of Lisbon pre-earthquake was worth the price of entry if one has an interest in historical towns. I found it fascinating and spent at least 30 minutes studying it. Lots of beautiful tiles, which I love. The building is a treat as well including the chapel. Well worth visiting.