“A wonderful surprise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you're looking for a boutiquey hotel with ambiance and incredible service, the Britania Hotel will provide exactly that. I loved this hotel. Great location, awesome service, beautiful decor, phenomenal accommodations...you can't beat it. And having recently come off a hotel stay in New York city, the rooms are quite large and well worth the money. I also enjoyed the Hotel Lobby and Library, and the continental breakfast that was served each morning (although not included in the room rate). You will not be disappointed by staying at the Britania Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank leannekmartin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
brighton
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed for five nights with Mrs Safe in February 2013. The hotel has only just over 30 rooms, its size helping to deliver a more intimate feel. Staff get to know guests more quickly resulting in a service that is not just professional but personal. Of course good staff would not make up for poor quality elsewhere but our room on the sixth floor had all advertised amenities and was kept very clean and well maintained. I did not inspect other rooms but I gather that the 'superior rooms' are those on the top floor which are slightly larger and have a balcony, this must be more of a pleasure in the summer than it proved on cool and rather damp days in February.The motorised blackout blind ensured that there was no light penetration through the sizeable expanse of glass and enabled a perfect night's sleep.

Those who choose to stay in a hotel such as the Britania will not be bothered by lack of such things as a great view, swimming pool, gym, spa or sauna nor the absence of a restaurant on site. The breakfast served in the lounge until midday was better than most and refreshed regularly by two friendly ladies. If it had not been included in the deal price for the room we would probably not have been too worried as the area abounds in alternatives. The hotel is one road back from the busy Avenida Libertade but that is sufficient to rule out disruption from road noise; the surrounding streets are quiet and felt perfectly safe late at night. We walked all over Lisbon but the Avenida metro stop was only a couple of hundred metres away should you be feeling less energetic. Anyone thinking of visiting Lisbon for pleasure will know that the most interesting streets can be both steep and narrow but it was an uncomfortable surprise to me to discover just how slippy the smooth paving can be after rain. Top tip is to take shoes that are both comfortable and continue to provide grip in the wet or, so I'm told, when the heat of the summer creates a sheen of oils on the cobbles.

The hotel provides guests with complimentary tea and cakes in the lounge in the late afternoon/early evening. The carafes of port and ginjinha available to guests in the lounge at this time are also welcome but would hardly be a deciding factor in choice of hotel at this price range. It's really all about the service and how comfortable you are made to feel here. On the afternoon of our departure the Manager sought us out in the lounge area to wish us a pleasant journey home and a swift return, I don't recall that ever happening before! We would certainly love to return.

1 Thank safeasmilk
HeritageLisbon, General Manager at Britania Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our staff, which we are very proud of.
We would like to clarify that, as you may find in our site, on the last floor we have our terrace rooms in which you stayed and also one terrace suite.
It was a pity that you were not able to profit of many of Lisbon winter sunny days, which are wonderful and have a very special light.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to the Britania but with good weather this time.
Yours sincerely,
Diogo Laranjo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great experience in this Art Deco hotel. The staff was great, especially Raquel behind the front desk. She helped make our visit to Lisbon somuch better.
Our large room was beautiful, king-size bed, hardwood floors. tiled bathroom.
The location couldn't have been better. Centrally located, close to the Metro, right off the main street, so it was quiet. Everything was within walking distance.
The breakfast and free port wine in the evening were perfect.
It was nice to be in a hotel with just 33 rooms. Very relaxing.
Can't wait to go back!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is an amazing journey back in time! The décor together with all the fixtures and fittings have been painstakingly gathered together to create the perfect atmosphere. From the moment we pulled up outside to be welcomed as if ‘returning home’ to the valet parking and then to our magnificent room with its towering ceilings and an enticing decanter of port it was continuous pleasure! We had delicious cocktails before setting out for dinner and breakfast the following morning was superb. The ‘must’ place to stay if visiting Lisbon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BMEfoodie
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What makes this hotel special is the service. When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely lady. She gave us a warm genuine welcome and gave us all the information we needed for our visit. It was raining a lot when we were there, so the complimentary use of an umbrella was needed and appreciated.

We stayed in a standard room which was very nice, quiet and spacious. The furniture and decoration made the room very charming in an old school way. Loved the floor. Great to have coffee/tea facilities in the room. Good wifi. The bed was comfortable albeit shorter than what we are use to. My husband and I aren't tall so the bed wasn't really a problem for us, but if you are around 1.80 cm I would advice you to contact the hotel and inquire about the rooms and the beds.

The breakfast was good. It had a good selection of breakfast items and tasted fresh. I loved the mini pastries and the fresh orange juice. It was served in a beautiful room and the breakfast lady was very nice and attentive without being intrusive. I don't think I would eat the breakfast here if it wasn't included in my rate because there are so many nice bakeries in Lisbon.

The location was close enough to the center but far enough to still be quiet. It's a short 10-15 minute walk or one stop by metro to the center and Rossio station for a daytrip to Sintra. The metro is cheap and easy to use. If you plan to take the trams and funicular look into a day pass (6 euro) and if you also plan to visit the museums the lisboa card. Both are great deals depending on what you plan to do. The metro station is a short 5 minute walk. If you arrive by metro look or ask for Louis Vuitton. It's around the corner.

If you are into mom and pop's restaurant there is a really nice one on the small street behind the hotel. I think it's called Estrella maybe 3rd restaurant when you walk into that street. Their menu is typed with a typing machine. It was cheap and the fish was fresh and cooked perfectly.

Overall we had a great stay here, but somehow I think it misses something to be really special. I just don't know what.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yogi1919
UK
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What can I say? This is a well located hotel with a magnificent refurbished interior. Whilst the bedrooms and public rooms are not large (they are of a size that you would expect in most city centre hotels), the decoration in most is quite extraordinary. During our three night stay we found the service throughout the hotel to be superb with touches such as the free afternoon tea and cake adding to a somewhat special experience.

2 Thank UKPinkPanther
New York New York
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wow. Stepping into this hotel is like stepping into one of those perfectly preserved period rooms in the Metropolitan Museum. Nowhere on earth, is there a place so lovingly restored. Every inch is pure, preserved deco. I often expected Fred Astaire to dance out of the elevator and head to the bar for a martini. While the furniture is original, restored with modern fabrics, the bed is modern, huge and comfortable. A light sleeper, I like my rooms "as quiet as an undiscovered tomb" and this one fit the bill. Darkening curtains kept the sun out. One morning I slept until11! But what makes this hotel worth it is the attentive staff. I was traveling alone, and Rachel the manager/concierge and Jefferson, the bartender/everyman made me feel like I was coming home to a family every night. Rachel was full of good information regarding restaurants and activities, but more importantly, like a friend, she shared little glimpses of her life with me. We swapped husband and dog stories. Jefferson mixed up a spectacular martini (or two) every night with amazing care. And kept me company while I relished them.The rest of the staff was equally as warm, but Rachel and Jeff were there for the bulk of my trip. There is tea (and delicious pastries) every night and of course, port! A boutique hotel, it does not have a fitness center, which is usually a problem for me, but Jefferson told me there was a good one nearby. Never made it- Lisbon is a good running town so I hit the streets for exercise. Which I needed- LARGE breakfast spread of wonderfully fattening food every morning, like croissants which were the best I've had outside of Paris.

Room Tip: My room was quiet- I imagine all are, the elevator is on the opposite wall.