“Perfect!!!”

Britania Hotel
Ranked #4 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great experience in this Art Deco hotel. The staff was great, especially Raquel behind the front desk. She helped make our visit to Lisbon somuch better.
Our large room was beautiful, king-size bed, hardwood floors. tiled bathroom.
The location couldn't have been better. Centrally located, close to the Metro, right off the main street, so it was quiet. Everything was within walking distance.
The breakfast and free port wine in the evening were perfect.
It was nice to be in a hotel with just 33 rooms. Very relaxing.
Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is an amazing journey back in time! The décor together with all the fixtures and fittings have been painstakingly gathered together to create the perfect atmosphere. From the moment we pulled up outside to be welcomed as if ‘returning home’ to the valet parking and then to our magnificent room with its towering ceilings and an enticing decanter of port it was continuous pleasure! We had delicious cocktails before setting out for dinner and breakfast the following morning was superb. The ‘must’ place to stay if visiting Lisbon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BMEfoodie
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What makes this hotel special is the service. When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely lady. She gave us a warm genuine welcome and gave us all the information we needed for our visit. It was raining a lot when we were there, so the complimentary use of an umbrella was needed and appreciated.

We stayed in a standard room which was very nice, quiet and spacious. The furniture and decoration made the room very charming in an old school way. Loved the floor. Great to have coffee/tea facilities in the room. Good wifi. The bed was comfortable albeit shorter than what we are use to. My husband and I aren't tall so the bed wasn't really a problem for us, but if you are around 1.80 cm I would advice you to contact the hotel and inquire about the rooms and the beds.

The breakfast was good. It had a good selection of breakfast items and tasted fresh. I loved the mini pastries and the fresh orange juice. It was served in a beautiful room and the breakfast lady was very nice and attentive without being intrusive. I don't think I would eat the breakfast here if it wasn't included in my rate because there are so many nice bakeries in Lisbon.

The location was close enough to the center but far enough to still be quiet. It's a short 10-15 minute walk or one stop by metro to the center and Rossio station for a daytrip to Sintra. The metro is cheap and easy to use. If you plan to take the trams and funicular look into a day pass (6 euro) and if you also plan to visit the museums the lisboa card. Both are great deals depending on what you plan to do. The metro station is a short 5 minute walk. If you arrive by metro look or ask for Louis Vuitton. It's around the corner.

If you are into mom and pop's restaurant there is a really nice one on the small street behind the hotel. I think it's called Estrella maybe 3rd restaurant when you walk into that street. Their menu is typed with a typing machine. It was cheap and the fish was fresh and cooked perfectly.

Overall we had a great stay here, but somehow I think it misses something to be really special. I just don't know what.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yogi1919
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What can I say? This is a well located hotel with a magnificent refurbished interior. Whilst the bedrooms and public rooms are not large (they are of a size that you would expect in most city centre hotels), the decoration in most is quite extraordinary. During our three night stay we found the service throughout the hotel to be superb with touches such as the free afternoon tea and cake adding to a somewhat special experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UKPinkPanther
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wow. Stepping into this hotel is like stepping into one of those perfectly preserved period rooms in the Metropolitan Museum. Nowhere on earth, is there a place so lovingly restored. Every inch is pure, preserved deco. I often expected Fred Astaire to dance out of the elevator and head to the bar for a martini. While the furniture is original, restored with modern fabrics, the bed is modern, huge and comfortable. A light sleeper, I like my rooms "as quiet as an undiscovered tomb" and this one fit the bill. Darkening curtains kept the sun out. One morning I slept until11! But what makes this hotel worth it is the attentive staff. I was traveling alone, and Rachel the manager/concierge and Jefferson, the bartender/everyman made me feel like I was coming home to a family every night. Rachel was full of good information regarding restaurants and activities, but more importantly, like a friend, she shared little glimpses of her life with me. We swapped husband and dog stories. Jefferson mixed up a spectacular martini (or two) every night with amazing care. And kept me company while I relished them.The rest of the staff was equally as warm, but Rachel and Jeff were there for the bulk of my trip. There is tea (and delicious pastries) every night and of course, port! A boutique hotel, it does not have a fitness center, which is usually a problem for me, but Jefferson told me there was a good one nearby. Never made it- Lisbon is a good running town so I hit the streets for exercise. Which I needed- LARGE breakfast spread of wonderfully fattening food every morning, like croissants which were the best I've had outside of Paris.

Room Tip: My room was quiet- I imagine all are, the elevator is on the opposite wall.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MadameO
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two week.
Excellent location, very cozy beautiful large rooms,
very comfortable and quiet
and free Porto every evening!
Helpful and accommodating, nice, multilanguage stuff!!!
Good WIFI is everywhere.

Room Tip: "Corner suites have two rooms"
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank olbel1
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Big room,Tiny TV. Old safe needs a key/lock from the reception, If you lose the key there's a €75 charge. It be much easier if it was an electronic safe.
No English breakfast tea. Yes cafe's in Lisbon didn't serve these but expected this hotel to have. No brown sugar. No complementary drinking water.
Good Wifi 7Mbps up/down
After filling water and lying down in the bath cold wind coming to the back of the head from the gap between the granite tile and the bath. didn't enjoy that. Good shower water pressure.
Don't expect to have a good view from the rooms. It's facing a quite road with an office building next to. It's very quite on the plus side.
Staff very helpful and welcoming. Wish there's a bit more privacy at breakfast hall. The lady serving going past checking the table, of course to be helpful but I prefer leave us to it.
Air condition wasn't powerful. at times felt too hot inside the rooms and didn't seem to respond to the remote.
Ranked 2nd in Lisbon? I know it's overall a good hotel but not sure if it deserves a to be second. I'd think more like in a top 15 in a City. Standard of other hotels in Lisbon must be quite law.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank khedara
HeritageLisbon, General Manager at Britania Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our welcoming staff and quietness of our Hotel.
Thank you for pointing some concerns that will help us to improve our service.
Considering the big size of our rooms we totally agree that the TV set should be of larger size and that is going to be done during the next month of February.
Our mechanical room safes have been very reliable (avoiding many of the problems of the electronic ones), but in case of a lost key and for safety reasons, we have to substitute the safe lock.
The other aspects that you mention, we will look at them in more detail in order to improve our service.
Once again, thank you very much and we hope that we can encourage you to stay with us again and offer you a most pleasant stay.
Diogo Laranjo