“off the beaten track in lisbon”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of York House

York House
Ranked #158 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
sutton
“off the beaten track in lisbon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Beautiful converted convert, plenty of buses so a very hop away from the centre, but great to be able to come back here away from the centre and relax in gorgeous courtyard. Had a very good nights sleep for the four nights we stayed. About 10 minutes up the road away from the city, there is a miradouro, nice to come across it. We were happier to go out and find breakfast in local cafes, so can't comment on the restaurant but it does have a beautiful setting. Only down side was that trying to open the bedroom door was a risky business, the lock is too close to the side of the door and I nearly carved off chunks from my hand! If you stay there you will know what I mean!

I would recommend getting a lisbon card, includes buses and trams, and makes it easy to go bck and forth to hotel from centre of town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sutton13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St Ives
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

The location of York House is not ideal as it is a longish walk up some winding roads to the central areas. However, it is an intersting and attractive hotel with a lovely walk way up to a pretty courtyard. The room was spacious and comfortable. At Eur155 reasonable value too I thought.
We noted one recent review regarding overbooking and interestingly enough, on arrival, there was clearly a frustrated customer who had been overbooked and was being told he had no room. So maybe beware.
The service was ok, but as we found too often in Portugal, it was uninspiring and indifferent.
One other point worth mentioning in this hotel's favour, was that we noticed other hotels we originally wanted to book requested a full payment upfront! (I was booking back in March) I've never encountered this before and found it very unusual and unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Initial impressions can be misleading. We knew about the steps but not about lots of other things that made us think we had made a mistake on our first night. But four nights later we were very sorry to leave and felt we would definitely come back.

What this hotel has is
1. A location in the charming Lapa/Santos neighbourhood. The value of this neighbourhood was confirmed when we read a Monocle article (in which the hotel featured) when we returned to England. There is more to it than we discovered but I think if you want a taste of the real Lisbon you are better going to a neighbourhood cafe in Santos than to frequent places such as 'A Brasileira' in the city centre which is only there for tourists (too much of the centre seems like that to me).
2. Very easy access (numerous bus routes nearby) to the city centre.
3. Genuinely friendly and efficient staff. No phoney hotel school 'professionalism' here. Some might find this disconcerting but when I injured my foot and needed icepacks replnished constantly the service was second to none.
4. A beautiful courtyard and a more than adequate restaurant.
5. Decent rooms and a decent night's sleep.

Not everything was fine, as my opening comments indicated. At least one (young) member of staff was about as incompetent as they come - taking an eternity to provide us with a glass of red wine when it was white we asked for! The door knob fell off in my hand (on a number of occasions). And it was designed to trap one's hand (painfully!) when it stayed put. Still we will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I believe I slept a total of six hours total the four nights we stayed in the York House in May of 2011. Little did I realize the pretty street view from our window would, at night, become a rowdy screaming street party from 11pm to 4 am. I live in a nightlife area of Washington, DC, so I am no stranger to nighttime interruptions, but drunk Georgetown students can't hold a candle to the kids who now party on the streets of Lapa. I understand that the clubs now nearby are a fairly recent addition to the neighborhood. As this was the first stop on our honeymoon, I was pretty disappointed in my choice.
The gardens are lovely, and the hotel itself quite picturesque, if you can successfully request a room away from the street - I sense the staff might not readily comply but I didn't test them by insisting we move - do so.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emcentar
Eugenie Les Bains, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

York House lived up to its reputation for friendly and efficient staff and a delightful tranquility in the central courtyard. Relaxing under the palm tree after a ride on the 28 tram, walking and climbing around the city is a treat. Rooms (and we upgraded to a 'suite' of sorts) are pretty basic, and our beds were narrow and hard, but we slept well with the shutters closed and the air on - and the single beds pushed together.
Be prepared to climb a number of stone steps up to the courtyard and entrance, and be prepared to walk some distance to the Chiado and Barrio areas, easy walking if you are even haflway fit, or taxis are plentiful and cheap and the tram goes from just down the road. York House doesn't advertise the very great benefit it has of offering on street parking right opposite the hotel (providing other clients have not already taken all the spots, which cannot be pre-booked). This was a bonus for us, we had been expecting to have to off load all our bags, and then find a parking place some distance away from the hotel.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite for a river and street view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

What a nightmare. booked 6 weeks ago and got an email 2 hours before I arrived to say the room was double booked. Spoke to manager who said 5 rooms were closed due to air conditioning problems. Turned out to be a lie and we (plus another guest) had to call the police. manager refused to give a refund and put us in a horrid chain hotel with a football team! I am currently taking legal action against the booking agency.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank JohnBoye
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

When you arrive at the entrance to the York House, you might be a bit dismayed. It is on a nondescript street and it has a very nondescript entrance. Don't be surprised if the entrance is locked. You must use an intercom to contact the desk which will be remotely unlock the gate. You will then climb three flights of charming, ivy covered steps to emerge into a courtyard, the highlight of this hotel. If you arrive late in the evening, you will be required to move your own luggage up those three flights of stairs and this is no mean feat, depending on the size and amount of bags. The rooms are small, modest and require updating. Likewise for the bathrooms. The desk and bell staff are helpful. Some of the wait staff seem to be overworked and often make it appear they are doing you a favour by serving you. Later in this same trip, we stayed at the Lisbon Marriott. We paid 30% less for the Marriott and appreciated the amenities. They are totally different hotels but I was left with the nagging doubt that we really paid a lot for a little at the York House.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple