“Very interesting museum with antiquities beautiful displayed and preserved!”

National Museum of Ancient Art
Tagus Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
Ranked #35 of 452 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered to house the best collection of Portuguese and European art, this museum features works by Gonclaves, Bosch, Raphael and more.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We enjoyed a lot our visit in the Museo Nacional de Arte Antiga. What attracted our attention and urged us to go was the temporary exhibition, well advertised on landscapes and forests in Western Art. We ended up though to like much more the permanent collection (paintings, furnitures, ceramics and sculptures)! I believe that it is worth visiting this museum. Pity the museum shop was under renovation process and it was closed. Exhibits are beautifully displayed and it doesn't feel like one of these museums that they are packed with things without an order. Collection is huge and rich and presented in a great way! The only thing we found awkward was that while we pre-purchased the tickets on a different day than the day of visit (we got joined tickets for visiting both permanent and temporary collections) the day of our visit nobody at the side entrance of the museum asked our tickets! There are two main entrances at the museum and we entered the west one. We've been asked for the tickets only when entering the temporary collection. This was really strange because either by mistake there was no entrance control or permanent collection was free that day and we were just charged the full ticket without being informed the free visiting hours.
I strongly recommend this museum along with the Gulbenkian one! You will have no regrets for visiting!

1  Thank skybluem
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

A wonderful collection beautifully displayed. We spent a very lovely afternoon enjoying all the wonderful works of art. A very interesting collection in a very uniquely designed space.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Until end of March 2014 you can take advantage of the temporary, rubens, brueghel and lorrain " A Paisagem nórdica do Museu do Prado" what makes the most of your time there.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

In addition to its excellent collection of Portuguese and European fine art ranging from the middle ages to XIX century, this fine museum offers visiting exhibitions such as the one I had a chance to see consisting of only two paintings by Francisco Goya, next to which was an interactive presentation of his complete oeuvre. I consider this an excellent idea that should be followed by other similar museums around the world. The educational value of such presentations is invaluable.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This museum wasn't on my itinerary I came across it when I was lost and decided to stop in. I'm glad I did because it houses the most beautiful pieces of art in Portugal. There are early paintings from all across Europe as well as Portugal. There are quite a few rooms to check out so I suggest planning a good amount of time for it. There is a nice park and lookout view just outside the museum which would be a lovely place to have lunch once you are done here.