“St George's Castel”

Alfama
Ranked #1 of 475 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Wonderful sights delight walkers at every turn in this culturally rich and charming part of Lisbon, which through its architecture reminds visitors of its Visigothic roots, Arabic influence and fishing port heritage.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great views, museum and history. Quite a climb...take a taxi to the top. Taxis are very reasonable, and this is one time you will want one!!

Write a ReviewReviews (15,626)
All reviews
in 549 reviews
"district"
in 276 reviews

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Take several hours to wonder around go up to the Cathedral and Castle and have lunch. Plenty to see for most any interest.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here in an apartment. This is all very old and authentic. The locals are so friendly. The food is not so good unless you like sardines and fatty sausage . But the atmosphere and Fado music make up for it. Go to Alfama!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I visited Alfama twice during my stay in Lisbon. The first with a walking tour when we took the trolley up and then walked down. The second was to visit the Saturday flea market. My first attempt at taking the Metro failed and I ended up at the wrong stop. I then tried to take the bus up, but got off too soon. I should have just taken the trolley again, but I wanted to try something new. I ended up walking up to Alfama and the flea market. Part of me was glad I did. I walked through some very tiny streets with mom and pop shops and restaurants throughout- great deals! I really got the feel of what a traditional Portuguese neighborhood is like. Once you get to the top the views made the hills worthwhile.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2013

classic area of lisboa with magnificent views of lisboa. take some time to walk around and explore to experience its charming, old european feel. duck into one of the many narrow cobblestone streets and find a quaint little inexpensive restaurant... we found one with the tastiest local cuisine; a huge meal for only 7euro.

1  Thank Kristen N