“The very best of Lisbon”

Hotel Avenida Palace
Ranked #6 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Having decided to visit Lisbon (for the fourth time) for our 40th wedding anniversary, we were in no doubt that for this occasion we wanted to stay in the Avenida Palace. It had the best possible location in the city centre, and represented our ideal mix of style and tradition with modern comforts.
We certainly made the right choice: the public areas are simply stunning and the same impressive décor and furnishings are reflected in the bedrooms - unlike some “palace” hotels where the bedroom wings simply don’t match up. We were very fortunate to be given a large suite, having booked a superior room directly through the hotel website. It faced Praça dos Restauradores with the impressive facades of the surrounding buildings, and featured a large double bedroom and very comfortable living room. The presentation of the room by the housekeeping staff each day was superb.
Breakfast is served buffet-style in a magnificent room, with all you could possibly want. The staff ensured that everything was just right, and I particularly liked the perfectly poached eggs on small slices of toast. The bar and lounge are sumptuous, and there’s a “cocktail of the day” which is great value – especially with the direct booking 20% discount.
The concierges were brilliant – friendly, knowledgeable and helpful – and they were ably assisted by the porters who seemed to have a taxi waiting almost before you’ve asked for one. We arranged our airport transfers and received great advice on restaurants in advance of our stay, which they were happy to book for us.
Great service was offered by everyone – friendly and helpful, never intrusive, always professional. Thanks to all for a truly memorable experience.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel website - upgrades will be given where available.
4  Thank PortugalForGolf
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this truly memorable review and for choosing to stay at the Avenida Palace to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary. We were very happy to read that you we were able to meet your expectations during this special occasion.

We pledge to provide a refined personal service for our guests and are pleased when such effort is recognized. Your wonderful review will surely be a great source of motivation for the entire team.

We also want to thank you for referring the benefits for booking directly through the Hotel website, which are listed in it as “Exclusive Benefits”.

Your enthusiasm for our Hotel is very much appreciated and so we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back very soon to your new Lisbon residence.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Avenida Palace

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived at Avenida Palace and were swiftly led into Hotel by attentive porters who also dealt with our (free) Parking. Hotel staff very polite and friendly. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, something for everyone. Our room was plenty big enough and, although it overlooked main road, was quiet. Free wifi now expected and provided by hotel. All in all, would recommend Avenida Palace and Lisboa to everyone! Many thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank patsyp17
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time out to leave your kind remarks on your recent stay at the Avenida Palace. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the experience lived up to your expectations.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here one night in early August, the staff was very attentive and friendly. The rooms we stayed in were the standard room and had everything your needed in a very clean and comfortable space. They are decorated in the classical style because that is the essence of the palace setting. The location of the hotel is perfect for sightseeing on foot because your in the center of lots of sights. The Chiado is just around the corner and if you want to do some high end shopping The Avenida da Liberdade is just up the street. Continental breakfast is included and is set up in a beautiful banquet room and the food is plentiful and tasty.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank teresa c

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Avenida Palace and for having taken the time and trouble to leave your remarks on TripAdvisor. It was indeed a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is our goal to provide properly maintained facilities and the luxurious sophistication of its décor make this Hotel a landmark at the intersection of tradition and innovation. We are very pleased when such efforts are recognized.

Your enthusiasm for our Hotel is very much appreciated and so we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back for a longer stay at the Avenida Palace.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Utterly charming and takes one back in time. The hotel is beautiful. Service was good. Breakfast buffet was small but excellent. Nice little touches, like personalized welcome cards and gifts for the little ones and fresh fruits and complimentary water, were very much appreciated. Great location to boot. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Elise L

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Avenida Palace and for leaving your kind words on TripAdvisor. It was indeed a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We pledge to provide a refined personal service for our guests, as well as properly maintained facilities and are pleased to hear that our effort is recognized.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Avenida Palace in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

For my frist visit, I chose this hotel for its location. I was not disappointed. Next to the Rossio train station for the Sintra train, it is just short walking distance to the place where the walking tour of Lisbon starts, and not too far to the tram stop for Belem.
My wife and I arrived late and the check-in was done very quickly. A plate of fresh fruit was in the room, which was much appreciated. The room was comfortable. Breakfast is served in a nice dining room, and gluten free bread was provided, upon request. The waiters provided a great service and very helpful.
We had a very pleasant stay.

5  Thank Maurice L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor. It was such a pleasure to read your review and to acknowledge that you were not disappointed for choosing to stay at the Avenida Palace. It was a pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay and that we lived up to your expectations.

Your enthusiasm for our Hotel and our services is very much appreciated and will represent a great source of motivation to the entire staff.

We look forward to welcoming you at the Avenida Palace on a second visit in a not too distant future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Below are the reasons I cannot rate this hotel favorably:

I depend highly on the concierge when visiting a unknown city. My first impression of their concierge was that he was disinterested in helping me. Additionally he sold me a 2 day pass for the Gray Line tour and wasn't even helpful about where we could catch the bus. I quickly realized that the hotel or him personally must receive some type % for these ticket sales. I never even used the gray line tour so it was a waste of 50 euros for me. We ended up finding wonderful people in restaurants and Starbucks that gave us help. I ended up booking a private taxi tour to Sintra, etc for a full day. A random cab driver was better than your daytime concierge ---- Their night time concierge was helpful about how to make our way to Belem.
Generally I felt the staff was unhelpful. I went to the business office and couldn't get a pdf to print so I went to the front desk and ask them if I could send to them for printing. I felt like I was being a bother for asking. They finally agreed I could send to their reservation email address. After I sent it to them and went to pick up (45 minutes later) they said we've not had time to print. There were 3 people at the desk just chatting with each other.
The breakfast staff was fine but not engaging at all. The last day I was dressed very sloppy because I was on my way to the airport for an 8 hour flight. They ask me 3 times for my room number and name. Like I had just randomly come in for breakfast.
I was in room 421 ----- there was no bag or sheet to have laundry done. I had to hunt down a maid to see if you offered laundry service. She couldn't speak english (which I didn't expect) but did her best to understand what i wanted and took care of this efficiently.

I could give you some other examples but generally their staff needs some training on being engaging and helpful for the customers. BTW, They sent a request to me asking could I rate their favorably on TA and I sent them this exact information with no response.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Travel-quiz
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, let me tell you how deeply concerned I was with the content of your review. As our team constantly strives to provide the best personal service to each and every one of our guests, I was worried to read your remarks, taking notice we didn´t meet your expectations.

About the Gray Line tickets issue you refer, should our Concierge have know that they had not been used, we could have reimbursed you for their whole price. As you may notice the Avenida Palace, accordingly to its guests` reviews and opinions, has got one of Lisbon´s best Concierge Service, therefore I regret that your experience was not a positive one.

As the Avenida Palace is a Hotel where the comfort of our guests really matters, we wrote you, after check-out, kindly asking you to email us directly if your stay in our Hotel had been less than perfect, so that we could take care of your concerns personally.

With a prime location in the very centre of Lisbon, this Hotel, with more than a century of history and fully renovated, as one can see on our prize-winning website, is a symbol of our great city.

As the Avenida Palace pledges to reply to all our guests’ contacts, this answer will also be sent directly to your email.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Portugal. We spent 5 nights at the beautiful Avenida Palace Hotel in Lisbon and could not have been happier about our choice. The hotel is really lovely, with its visual elegance yet modern updates and amenities. Breakfast is wonderful and served in a beautifully appointed room. From the gorgeous lobby to the spotless and spacious guest rooms, this hotel is dedicated to making its guests feel special. And the location is absolutely perfect. You have the beauty of Lisbon's Avenida da Liberdade to the left and the liveliness of the restaurants, cafes and shops on Rua Augusta to the right, all just steps away from the entrance to the Hotel. This is truly The place to stay in Lisbon.

3  Thank MsAndrea13
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Avenida Palace. We were extremely happy to know that we met your expectations. Your enthusiasm for our Hotel and our services is very much appreciated.

We also thank you for rating us with five stars in all the parameters and for any potential recommendations.

We truly hope to have the honor of welcoming you in a near future.