Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $23.20
from $68.60
from $34.90
6,319 results
All reviews vasco da gama manueline architecture belem tower beautiful building combined ticket buy tickets maritime museum free entry great architecture worth a visit lisbon card long queue pasteis de belem entrance fee portuguese history visiting lisbon timeline
Reviewed today via mobile

We found this fascinating. Lovely small exhibition about the history of Portugal, hidden inside a really interesting building

Reviewed today

The day we went here there was a rather big queue. The queue does move, & we eventually gained entry after about 30 minutes. Believe me, the wait is worth it! Yes there is an entrance fee, but once inside ...stunning architecture in stunning settings.

While we were waiting to enter the Monastry, Mass was ongoing in the adjoining Cathedral. So we waited until finishing the Monastry to enter the Church. To describe the Church as stunning is an understatement. Personally, I found it breathtaking!

Perfect to whet the appetite before crossing (literally) the road for some Custard Pasties & Coffee.

Reviewed today

This monastery was listed as one of the main attractions in Lisbon, but I was not that impressed.

If staying in the centre of Lisbon you need to catch bus or tram to Belém, which is also close to the Belém Tower, the Padrão dos Descobrimentos, and the Centro Cultural de Belém (lovely café).

We were warned to get to the monastery early in the day as the queues for tickets can be quite long. In fact we turned up late morning and the queues were long, we began with a tour of the church which is free and there are no queues. The church is really lovely and definitely worth a visit.

We had heard that if you go to the, next door, Museu Nacional de Arqueologia, you can buy a combined ticket for the archaeological museum and the monastery without having to suffer the long queues at the monastery (I hate queuing and there was no way to pre-purchase entrance tickets). When we arrived there was no queue and we bought the combined ticket (it was included in our Lisboa card as a free entry).

We didn’t actually go into the museum but just walked back to the monastery where there was queue for tickets on the left, the entrance to the church on the right, and unmarked, the entrance for ticket holders in the middle. We walked straight in, showed the tickets to security, and were in the monastery 15 minutes after arriving at Belem.

Inside the monastery it was very peaceful with few visitors, probably helped by the slow process through the ticket queues. There was a time-line exhibition on the history of Lisbon, another about a Portuguese poet (all in Portuguese) and you could enter the church at a higher level to get a good view. But that was it, hence my feeling of being underwhelmed by the experience.

Perhaps if we had waited for 2 hours in the queue we would have appreciated seeing the monastery, but as it as we only stayed for about 30 minutes before leaving. As there were no dining facilities in the monastery we headed over to the nearby McDonalds for lunch before returning to Lisbon.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

If you’re going to Belem take the tram stop right in front of the Mosteiro. It has a nice view from outside but the church inside is even better with all the stone carving!

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Full disclosure: I visited the church next to the Jeronimos Monastery and the surrounds but didn’t go in to the Monastery itself. Time was of the essence and the queue was looooong. Apparently if you buy a ticket to the museum you also get entry to the Monastery - and that’s what I’ll be doing next time. But even to see the outside as part of a walking tour and learn about the Monastery’s place and significance in Portuguese history was fabulous.

Reviewed yesterday

To me the Jeronimos monastery is the final jigsaw piece to visiting the three icons of Portuguese navigational history - Belem Tower, Navigators Monument & the monastery. This was the area that originally had a small church where the explorers like Vasca Da Gama had their blessings before heading off to explore the new world. It was thanks to Da Gama that the new church could be built as it was funded from the sale of spices & riches that he returned with from his exploration to foreign lands.

During peak times be prepared to line up. As a result it can get very crowded inside, so you have to be very patient if wanting to take photos of the tombs etc.

The monastery is built in Gothic style with ornate nautical & religious carvings. Inside the church are tombs of royalty & Vasca Da Gama. Part of the monastery now houses a maritime museum. This is a beautiful monastery/church that should not be missed.

Reviewed yesterday

This place is beautiful! I got there around closing, so I couldn't go to see the views, but inside I was able to get to and the surrounding grounds. I heard the view from the top is the best place for viewing 360 degrees. I can't comment, as it was closed when I was there. But if you enjoy European church architecture and religion, you will enjoy this place. I'm not religious and I found it worth it.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Such a shame it is now all museums and no longer an actual working Monastery. The building itself is incredible and worth looking at!

Reviewed yesterday

We visited Jeronimos Monastery in the end of September. It was pretty long line to get inside and it was very hot. There are 2 lines: one for the church itself and another where you have to buy a ticket to Monastery. We were able to find free parking nearby, just gave 3 euros to “ parking manager”.

Reviewed 2 days ago

The cloister & the refectory are highlights of a visit to Jerónimos. Get there early hopefully ahead of the tour groups